Obama wants to make the internet a utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
One key word there: Regulate. And all those wonderful government gifts that come with it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
One key word there: Regulate. And all those wonderful government gifts that come with it.
even to a staunch libertarian such as myself there are occasions where regulation is necessary. This happens to be one of those occasions. There simply is no other option outside of Government regulation that I can see until the "last mile" barrier is crossed. Until then this our only solution

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
even to a staunch libertarian such as myself there are occasions where regulation is necessary. This happens to be one of those occasions. There simply is no other option outside of Government regulation that I can see until the "last mile" barrier is crossed. Until then this our only solution
The only problem with giving government power in regulating anything is that once they have it, you can never get it back.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Where I live, I have one option for water. I have one option for electricity. I have one option for sewer service. I have one option for waste disposal. If I want water, electricity, sewer service or trash pickup, I have to pay whatever those single providers demand. And I want to have water, electricity, sewer service and trash pickup.

I currently have many options for cable service. I have many options for phone service. I have many options for internet service. I enjoy the ability to shop and choose the providers that suit my needs.

So yes, let's make internet a utility. That will enhance my freedom of choice.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
If the internet is deemed to be a utility, will it also be deemed a "right?" Will we be forced to purchase it at higher prices so we can provide it for those who support certain political opinions?

Changes can be good but never are when the government gains control of anything.

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
If the internet is deemed to be a utility, will it also be deemed a "right?" Will we be forced to purchase it at higher prices so we can provide it for those who support certain political opinions?

Changes can be good but never are when the government gains control of anything.
If you like your internet provider, you can keep your internet provider.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
You guys are on to something. If Obama is concerned about "making it affordable for all Americans" which undoubtedly is coming, you can bet your bottom dollar that here comes an internet excise tax.

Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, etc. have been licking their chops for years over taxing internet sales. Here it comes. I don't know why, after six years, anyone would read anything else into this, despite O's words of concern and assurance. I promise you he doesn't have your interests at heart.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
lots and lots of jokes with very little clear understanding of the issue, or just another day on Tidefans non-sports I guess

in 3-4 years when your comcast/time warner merged cable monopoly decides they are tired of competing with Netflix and prices them off your network please remember this thread and the "regulations are bad, mmmkay" line of non thinking that is so prevalent here

not if, but when, unless we stop it from happening

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
You guys are on to something. If Obama is concerned about "making it affordable for all Americans" which undoubtedly is coming, you can bet your bottom dollar that here comes an internet excise tax.

Schumer, Reid, Pelosi, etc. have been licking their chops for years over taxing internet sales. Here it comes. I don't know why, after six years, anyone would read anything else into this, despite O's words of concern and assurance. I promise you he doesn't have your interests at heart.
That just means another "tax" or "fee" on your bill for the "less fortunate."

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
lots and lots of jokes with very little clear understanding of the issue, or just another day on Tidefans non-sports I guess

in 3-4 years when your comcast/time warner merged cable monopoly decides they are tired of competing with Netflix and prices them off your network please remember this thread and the "regulations are bad, mmmkay" line of non thinking that is so prevalent here

I'm sorry but imo, this has absolutely nothing to do with regulating the net to prevent/eliminate monopolies, "making it more affordable for the poor", or any other lame excuse. It has everything to do with controlling the transfer of information from site to customer, and, if "necessary", shutting down any and all sites that provide information contrary to a given political agenda. Iow, they want to control everything that is read, heard, said or shared.
Don't be fooled, folks. This is the modern-day version of opening up a public library and burning every book with which they disagree. This "wanting to make it a utility" is him asking you to hand him the key to the building.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I'm sorry but imo, this has absolutely nothing to do with regulating the net to prevent/eliminate monopolies, "making it more affordable for the poor", or any other lame excuse. It has everything to do with controlling the transfer of information from site to customer, and, if "necessary", shutting down any and all sites that provide information contrary to a given political agenda. Iow, they want to control everything that is read, heard, said or shared.
Don't be fooled, folks. This is the modern-day version of opening up a public library and burning every book with which they disagree. This "wanting to make it a utility" is him asking you to hand him the key to the building.

actually you could not be more wrong. All this does, all it does is make ISP's treat all data as equal that is it, nothing more. This does not give any government agency any power over any sort of content. None what-so-ever. This does not give the FCC any power to say what you can or cannot see over the internet. It opens the door to nothing. In fact by not allowing net neutrality you are giving comcast, time warner, mediacom, cox cable, at&t or verizon exactly the power you are afraid to give the government

Anyone here not get SEC network because your cable provider is too cheap? How about AMC or the turner networks? I am having this problem with Dish right now and others are about to lose the walking dead. Without net neutrality your provider could do the same thing with tidefans, espn.com, netflix, hulu, amazon prime video, pandora, iheartradio, you name it you are giving your isp the power to block it.

What if an Auburn fan billionaire bought mediacom? They have a healthy monopoly in parts of Alabama. Will you be ok with absolutely no bama related websites or data traffic? Type Alabama football into google and only get Auburn related responses? Want to get all your tide news from itat? This is of course a massive stretch but this also exactly what you are dealing with. without net neutrality this is actually a feasible scenario. Without this reclassification your isp could do this.

Question to the mods or Brett If comcast asked you for $5,000 a month to get tidefans.com delivered to comcast customers how would you respond? Without net neutrality this could happen. Would you charge a fee for tidefans? or shut down the site? For the rest of us, you ready to go to some other nowhere near as good bama site? I'm not. I like it here and want it to stay. Without net neutrality your isp could buy one of those big message board sites and throttle tidefans to a point where it took a full minute to load an image just to make their crappy site seem better. Please understand if you are against this regulation, by default, this is what you are for.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

some days, i wonder what would happen if obama told everyone that it was a bad idea to drink bleach

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Who is going to do the regulation? Dept of Health and Human Services? :)
FCC I'm pretty sure. It's actually going to benefit this country entirely. Data prices will come down as competition for services will arise. No more will Comcast, or TW be able to corner the market, or the other conglomerates. We'll start to see faster speeds (again, for cheaper prices) and it will allow for a stronger protection of the free and Open Web. Don't worry about the possible spying that could occur, the NSA spying capabilities are better and stronger than any of your ISPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.