Observations from last night's NC Game

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I am now completely convinced that scheme isn't what slow down these high powered offenses. It's disruption in the backfield. The stats of Lawrence when he was under pressure was alarming. His production sunk like the titanic. It also messed up Burrow for the first half until Brady and company started making adjustments to give him more time.

Our staff needs to watch a lot of film of Clemson's DL technique. It wasn't by accident, chance or dumb luck that for the entire first half when Clemson decided to blitz a LB, corner or safety there was a gaping hole for the blitzing players to run through. This is obviously created by some techniques being done by the DL.

Also, I hope the staff takes notice of both teams' DL's and point out to our players that using techniques to actually get penetration cause a world of problems for the opposing offense. My god at the "knifing" techniques, swim moves, spins and just all out efforts to penetrate the LOS by both teams. There's a lot of valuable information for our staff in last nights game.

Last edited:

bamafaninbham

All-SEC
Jul 19, 2004
Homewood
I completely agree. I am so tired of watching our DL just take up space and have gap integrity. And our blitz packages are so bland and predictable as well. Last year when QW was always in the backfield, it caused so much disruption for the opposing team. Not much of that this year. So is it personnel deficiencies or scheme??

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I completely agree. I am so tired of watching our DL just take up space and have gap integrity. And our blitz packages are so bland and predictable as well. Last year when QW was always in the backfield, it caused so much disruption for the opposing team. Not much of that this year. So is it personnel deficiencies or scheme??
Rookie Handicap...

With Dylan and Josh back, it will be far different. :cool:

Reactions: DogPatch

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Rookie Handicap...

With Dylan and Josh back, it will be far different. :cool:
Honestly, I could see Harris beating out Josh by the end of the year. I could see Harris playing on obvious passing downs where all he has to do is seek and destroy early on and then slowing working his way into starting. He's going to be a good one once he figures out where to go.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Honestly, I could see Harris beating out Josh by the end of the year. I could see Harris playing on obvious passing downs where all he has to do is seek and destroy early on and then slowing working his way into starting. He's going to be a good one once he figures out where to go.
I agree and would not be surprised if he starts against USC.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
We have to remember that we had so much injuries at LB and DL throughout the year. It starts with DL. If DL can't control their Gap and We have LBs shooting wrong gaps, then bad things happen. We have to remember that the defense improved significantly in the Michigan game in second half because we made adjustment and put the best players on the field, not matching personnel. I suspected that was our issues all year long... not putting the best players on the field.

Secondly, what worked for Clemson may not work for Alabama. There is no Doubt that Saban was on the field last night and he saw same things you did and made mental notes and definitely will talk with Dabo about that.

Reactions: Con

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree and would not be surprised if he starts against USC.
Again, this goes back to what I was saying... Josh may not be the best player on the field, but he knows Defense well and will get everyone lined up right. Saban will value that over a player who may be way better. If Josh does solid job and doesn't mess up, he won't lose his job. Now, remember we can always see Josh moving to OLB position.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I am now completely convinced that scheme isn't what slow down these high powered offenses. It's disruption in the backfield. The stats of Lawrence when he was under pressure was alarming. His production sunk like the titanic. It also messed up Burrow for the first half until Brady and company started making adjustments to give him more time.

Our staff needs to watch a lot of film of Clemson's DL technique. It wasn't by accident, chance or dumb luck that for the entire first half when Clemson decided to blitz a LB, corner or safety there was a gaping hole for the blitzing players to run through. This is obviously created by some techniques being done by the DL.

Also, I hope the staff takes notice of both teams' DL's and point out to our players that using techniques to actually get penetration cause a world of problems for the opposing offense. My god at the "knifing" techniques, swim moves, spins and just all out efforts to penetrate the LOS by both teams. There's a lot of valuable information for our staff in last nights game.
Hey BB, Something just popped in my head. How often did we mixed up blitzes to where opposing team didn't know who was coming whether it was LB, CB or Safety? You know?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
We have to remember that we had so much injuries at LB and DL throughout the year. It starts with DL. If DL can't control their Gap and We have LBs shooting wrong gaps, then bad things happen. We have to remember that the defense improved significantly in the Michigan game in second half because we made adjustment and put the best players on the field, not matching personnel. I suspected that was our issues all year long... not putting the best players on the field.

Secondly, what worked for Clemson may not work for Alabama. There is no Doubt that Saban was on the field last night and he saw same things you did and made mental notes and definitely will talk with Dabo about that.
Regardless of how we get penetration, whether it's like Clemson/LSU does it or not. The best solution for these high powered offenses is disruption in the backfield and making the quarterback highly uncomfortable. Whatever we need to do to accomplish that matters not to me. Just do it.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
It was shocking to me to see how much of a lack of accuracy that the Clemson QB had last night. I didn't think he was as accurate as Tua or Joe Burrow this entire season anyway, but once LSU mixed that stunting defensive player in, his accuracy went out the window. He was missing wide open receivers the whole second half. Really made LSU's defense look like world beaters, when we all know they were a good, not great, defense most of the year. Lesson learned: the flashy RPO offense has some flaws, and those flaws can be covered by having a deadly running back who can block, catch, as well as run. I'll take Najee Harris for all those roles next year. And, let's revert a bit back to having a QB as a game manager on steroids, please.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It was shocking to me to see how much of a lack of accuracy that the Clemson QB had last night. I didn't think he was as accurate as Tua or Joe Burrow this entire season anyway, but once LSU mixed that stunting defensive player in, his accuracy went out the window. He was missing wide open receivers the whole second half. Really made LSU's defense look like world beaters, when we all know they were a good, not great, defense most of the year. Lesson learned: the flashy RPO offense has some flaws, and those flaws can be covered by having a deadly running back who can block, catch, as well as run. I'll take Najee Harris for all those roles next year. And, let's revert a bit back to having a QB as a game manager on steroids, please.
LSU was running same offense Alabama was.... IJS.....

Reactions: jashleyren2

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Fowler made the comment during the game that Lawrence 'completely outplayed' Tua in last year's championship, which is silly. What no one wants to admit is that Lawrence lacks the accuracy and finesse to play QB against big-time competition.

Last year, his championship games stats were jacked up by a completely busted coverage on a long third-down play in the first quarter; Savion on skates in the second half; and two or three one-handed receptions by his receivers.

Lawrence is big, has a gun and is a great competitor. But he needs floor-to-ceiling windows into which to throw, and he simply won't get those against opponents in his own weight class.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I believe Coach Saban said before the game that disrupting/getting to the qb. would be the deciding factor. Nailed it.
I'm sure Coach took a ton of mental notes last night. It's rare for him to get to watch a national title game from a spectators viewpoint. The camera panned over to him several times during the game and you could tell he was intently watching. My guess is he was doing some strategic planning for next season.

• Thank You
Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.