OC and DC replacement discussion

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
During this extra week of time, since there is no SEC champ game to prep for, I know Coach will be on the recruiting trail... but I hope he is also looking at possible candidates for OC/DC. He could also use this extra time to help BOB and Golding find other jobs like the NFL, Tulane, or wherever.

I go back and forth on my opinion, but I think if I had to choose one or the other (if he keeps one of the co-ordinators), I'd rather see Golding leave than BOB. I'd really like both replaced, but I just don't think Coach will do that at the same time. Regardless, it will probably be after ESD before any changes are made. Heck, keep Golding on staff somehow (but not the ILB coach!) and pay him what he makes now... just get someone else at DC!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think he already has OC lined up.....

DC... We're not getting rid of Golding.
This is correct, G*ld*ng isn't going anywhere and isn't getting "demoted". My guess is, he is Saban's DC until he retires. If he hasn't fired him by now, he's sold on keeping him for the duration.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I think he already has OC lined up.....

DC... We're not getting rid of Golding.
This is correct, G*ld*ng isn't going anywhere and isn't getting "demoted". My guess is, he is Saban's DC until he retires. If he hasn't fired him by now, he's sold on keeping him for the duration.
Sadly agree with buzz on Golding. USCe’s OC to join Ruhle at Nebraska.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've worried this is the case for a few years now. I hope you're wrong, but I've posited on more than one occasion that perhaps this is how Saban 'slides' at the end of his career.

Maybe I'm all wrong, Gol*ing is a genius and next year we'll all see it. But I've been hoping that for the last few years, only to get my hopes up then watch some new 'most ___ ever allowed' record to be set by Gol*ing...

IMO, if Saban keeps Gol*ing it will go a long way towards proving my concerns were warranted.

I don't like watching undisciplined teams get gashed on D, I don't like watching teams that look mentally soft, etc. It's why, overall, my CFB viewing has drifted down over the last few years and I've gained more interest in the NFL. Different animal, I know, but watching disciplined players working to be their best is what I like about football - that's not what we've gotten from Bama the last couple of seasons (and it's basically non-existent in football now that Bama isn't setting the standard)...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
This is quite possibly the best or worst threads on tidefans. I get excited when I see it in bold because someone has posted something on this thread. I have hope that we are getting one or both OC/DC replaced. Then, nothing. I am back to "I hope it is soon".

I feel like @crimsonaudio though. The NFL is amazing to watch because those guys are good even if they are on a bad team.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I've worried this is the case for a few years now. I hope you're wrong, but I've posited on more than one occasion that perhaps this is how Saban 'slides' at the end of his career.

Maybe I'm all wrong, Gol*ing is a genius and next year we'll all see it. But I've been hoping that for the last few years, only to get my hopes up then watch some new 'most ___ ever allowed' record to be set by Gol*ing...

IMO, if Saban keeps Gol*ing it will go a long way towards proving my concerns were warranted.

I don't like watching undisciplined teams get gashed on D, I don't like watching teams that look mentally soft, etc. It's why, overall, my CFB viewing has drifted down over the last few years and I've gained more interest in the NFL. Different animal, I know, but watching disciplined players working to be their best is what I like about football - that's not what we've gotten from Bama the last couple of seasons (and it's basically non-existent in football now that Bama isn't setting the standard)...
As much as I don't like it, Saban appears to be all-in on Golding.

We need an innovative OC who is a great play-caller to take some of the pressure off the defense.

I don't like it, but that appears to be the situation.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

I was going to start a thread but this is a great post to insert the question and topic here. If player/team performance isn't the ultimate litmus test for whether a coach is doing a good job or not, then what is? If players are undisciplined, yes, there is player responsibility, but there is an equal component of that being the coach's responsibility as well. If when the defense sucks we're going to point to player execution as the 100% reason then how is the coach ever held accountable? That's what I don't "get".

I watched a replay of the Iron Bowl and the number of times our players took atrocious angles on running plays that resulted in 300+ yards rushing was embarrassing. It wasn't just one player either, it was the majority of the team. It's like Saban has put G*ld*ng in an untouchable situation, where if the defense performs well, it's because of him, but if it doesn't, it's because of the players.

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
I was going to start a thread but this is a great post to insert the question and topic here. If player/team performance isn't the ultimate litmus test for whether a coach is doing a good job or not, then what is? If players are undisciplined, yes, there is player responsibility, but there is an equal component of that being the coach's responsibility as well. If when the defense sucks we're going to point to player execution as the 100% reason then how is the coach ever held accountable? That's what I don't "get".

I watched a replay of the Iron Bowl and the number of times our players took atrocious angles on running plays that resulted in 300+ yards rushing was embarrassing. It wasn't just one player either, it was the majority of the team. It's like Saban has put G*ld*ng in an untouchable situation, where if the defense performs well, it's because of him, but if it doesn't, it's because of the players.
When CNS is asked about coaches he never throws them under the bus. But he does say that the players have to execute the plays that are called. Isn't that throwing the players under the bus?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would suspect that the OC will be another rehab situation. Tom Herman maybe.
I sure hope the *only type* of coach CNS can attract is not a "rehab" situation. If so, we will likely slide into mediocrity for the rest of the CNS tenure. Now, Hermon might be a huge upgrade over BOB (who wouldn't???) but I'd much rather see CNS go after "the best" candidate instead of taking on rehab projects.

I'll admit I've been much harder on BOB this year than Petey because CNS made the decision to transition to the more modern style of offensive football a few years ago and BOB doesn't fit the MO for that.

If we are going to have a screen door on a sub approach to defense you sure better have a guy at OC that can produce points like China can produce rice.

But this year, when the defense faltered, the offense did too. Even at UT, when we scored 49, the offense couldn't score in the first quarter and getting behind the way we did was too much to overcome.

Basically, BOB and GOL*ING aren't a good match.

So since it seems Pete has a stocking on CNS's mantle, we've GOT TO HAVE A MORE CREATIVE AND EXPLOSIVE OC!!!

Now, the thing that drove me crazy against Auburn is they had ONE PLAY that they could run that produced yards: the QB scramble. How many times on 3rd and long did they convert when everybody knew what was coming except PG??? Why CNS didn't tell him to have a spy on the QB the whole game, I'll never understand. On one long 3rd and long I just watched Henry T and when Robby dropped back HT shot a gap to the left and Robby just strolled up the other gap and made an easy first down. This is absolutely Jr. High football kinda stuff you could draw up in the dirt to stop if we'd just be willing!!!

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
When CNS is asked about coaches he never throws them under the bus. But he does say that the players have to execute the plays that are called. Isn't that throwing the players under the bus?
Well, yes and no. He isn't wrong insomuch that you can have the greatest play-caller in the world calling plays on the sideline, but if the play isn't executed properly, then whether or not it was a good play call becomes moot.

However, if the failed execution is due to poor fundamentals, that is a horse of a different color. Pursuit angles, gap assignments and proper tackling technique are called fundamentals for a reason. If players are failing to make plays due to poor fundamentals, that is a sign of bad coaching across the board. These players are too talented to look this bad on gameday and we all know it. If we improve on coaching the basics of defense, I think the play-calling will look a lot better.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
As much as I don't like it, Saban appears to be all-in on Golding.

We need an innovative OC who is a great play-caller to take some of the pressure off the defense.

I don't like it, but that appears to be the situation.
I'm guessing that CNS is not any more 'all-in' on Golding than Golding is 'all-in' on Bama. If he gets a good enough offer, he's gone. Also, 27 points by an unranked team is nothing to brag about, not to mention 52 which was a record.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm guessing that CNS is not any more 'all-in' on Golding than Golding is 'all-in' on Bama. If he gets a good enough offer, he's gone. Also, 27 points by an unranked team is nothing to brag about, not to mention 52 which was a record.
LOL! I doubt his agent's phone is being lit up. LOL!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I sure hope the *only type* of coach CNS can attract is not a "rehab" situation. If so, we will likely slide into mediocrity for the rest of the CNS tenure. Now, Hermon might be a huge upgrade over BOB (who wouldn't???) but I'd much rather see CNS go after "the best" candidate instead of taking on rehab projects.
Not saying that that is the only type of coach Nick can attract. Other than BOB, he has a pretty good track record of bringing in excellent coaches that have contributed to our program tremendously. BTW, we are destined to slide into mediocrity, at least for a minute, which begins with waning years of our legendary coach on campus now. Thing is, these waning year results will still be more fruitful than anyone else could manage and that includes the next future UA head coach or two. Need to enjoy while it lasts friend.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Not saying that that is the only type of coach Nick can attract. Other than BOB, he has a pretty good track record of bringing in excellent coaches that have contributed to our program tremendously. BTW, we are destined to slide into mediocrity, at least for a minute, which begins with waning years of our legendary coach on campus now. Thing is, these waning year results will still be more fruitful than anyone else could manage and that includes the next future UA head coach or two. Need to enjoy while it lasts friend.
One thing Nick did when he left LSU which paid huge dividends in them not completely falling off the face of the earth when he left, is he left the program STOCKED FULL of talent. That made it much easier for the transition from Saban to Miles. I think that is exactly what will happen with us, when Nick decides to hang it up, the incoming coach will have a filth of riches when it comes to talent.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
LOL! I doubt his agent's phone is being lit up. LOL!
You'd think some directional school or even mid-major to even a weaker SEC, ACC or B1G school would "take the risk" on Golding being a CNS pupil.

Obviously, NOT because of his defensive prowess, but because he's learned how to organize a program like CNS and they'd take a risk on his "process" knowledge and hope to make it work at their school.

It's a head-scratcher as to why this hasn't happened yet!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
You'd think some directional school or even mid-major to even a weaker SEC, ACC or B1G school would "take the risk" on Golding being a CNS pupil.

Obviously, NOT because of his defensive prowess, but because he's learned how to organize a program like CNS and they'd take a risk on his "process" knowledge and hope to make it work at their school.

It's a head-scratcher as to why this hasn't happened yet!
I can easily see why. If his defenses are getting gashed at Alabama with that type of talent, can you imagine how a team with less talent would perform?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.