OC and DC replacement discussion

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The only reason the OC job at Bama would be hard to fill is our insistence that our offense will not change. Therefore, the OC must come, learn our offense and work within it all the way down to the terminology. Could be some folks are not convinced that can work for them. Regardless, NEXT...

Reactions: DrJJoyner

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Considering what happened at Alabama after Rich Rodriguez turned us down and CNS came later on we should have all learned something about the blessing of unanswered prayers.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Well this is disappointing.

Grubb was the 1st and only name I've been excited about where there was some definite mutual interest.

He must have not been keen on switching to the 'Alabama' Offense and Playbook.

Which if that's the case I get it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The longer the goes on, the more I think we are going to be disappointed with the hires. Also, perception gets worse the longer it goes on.
Bill O'Brien is gone.

That's all.

You could pick any moron out of the stands for calling plays, and it would improve our chances of winning. The worst "Madden NFL" video game player in world history would have done better at the end of the Vols game.

Anything here will be an upgrade.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My Oregon bud - a Washington fan since his upbringing there in the mid-60s - was stunned we didn't get Grubb. He was disappointed at the thought of losing Grubb but said himself, "If Nick Saban called me - and I'm a UW fan - I'd go to Alabama."

I texted him the news and I think he fainted.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If Pruitt has a show cause for an on field coaching position say for a year he could be hired as an analyst. From what I understand an analyst cannot engage in direct coaching activities with players and cannot recruit. However, they can attend practices and games and interact with the coaches. While no direct coaching and recruiting is a major drawback, couldn't a defensive analyst in effect act as a de facto coordinator through his communications with the assistant coaches. If he had the title of an analyst and the pay-scale of an analyst and if the NCAA has not laid out specifically what an analyst can and can't communicate to the other coaches especially on game day then I wonder if this would work without violating any rules.
I don't know of any school violating the 'no analyst coaching' rule but I'll sell you a some nice ocean-front property in Wyoming if you believe it's not happening at every school all the time...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I'm pretty confident the assistants don't want to be on the staff when Saban retires. These assistants want control to manage their interest in openings from season to season and not subjected to taking what is open at the time. Im pretty certain this played some role in CPG's option to move on. At some point CNS retirement will be a cudgel opponents will beat over the assistants heads on the recruiting trail.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I really don't think that is the only reason.
Coach can be a very demanding boss.
I would turn him down if he insisted on me running "his" offense. If I were desperate, like say Kiffin or Sark, then I wouldn't.

Having said that, I question whether or not that is 100% true. The offense has gone through some pretty severe changes over the years when new coordinators were brought in. Particularly 2008 and 2014. So there is some degree of leeway given.

Still, yes, Nick Saban is not an easy guy to work for.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Let's face it, Coach Saban has a reputation for not being the easiest guy to work for.
HUGE point here. It takes a driven personality type to accept the challenge to work for Nick. The results are impeccable but only if one has the mindset of 100% commitment. We have seen coaches come and go at the Capstone under Coach and you get the idea of the ones that benefited and thrived and those that will never return to coach at Alabama for Saban.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I really don't think that is the only reason.
Coach can be a very demanding boss.
I also believe the people in the game who are from the culture (like I was) of getting their butt chewed, taking it, and moving on are getting less and less. Granted, I don't know how true it is, but there is a quote circulating on FB from either a current or former equipment manager (who is a midget) that claims Saban cusses everybody, no matter who you are. The people from that era are dying out and those replacing them are not cut from that fabric.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I'm pretty confident the assistants don't want to be on the staff when Saban retires. These assistants want control to manage their interest in openings from season to season and not subjected to taking what is open at the time. Im pretty certain this played some role in CPG's option to move on. At some point CNS retirement will be a cudgel opponents will beat over the assistants heads on the recruiting trail.
I'm not sure Saban's retirement is a factor at this time, but I appreciate your use of the word cudgel.

Reactions: twofbyc

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.