OC and DC replacement discussion

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
From what I've read he seems to tailor his playcalling to what personnel he has and what they do well.

I would be very surprised for Simpson to not win the job because he has all the tools to be a GREAT Passing QB.

But I also don't think we need to worry about the running game.

Washington didn't run as much as Bama did last season but when they HAD to do it they were MUCH better.

3rd Down 1-3 Yards to go:

Washington
: 4.14 YPC (14th NCAA) 236 yards (43rd NCAA)
Alabama: 1.54 YPC (123rd NCAA) 40 Yards (125th)

4th Down 1-3 Yards to go:

Washington
: 3.08 YPC (44th NCAA) 40 Yards(41st NCAA)
Alabama: -1.44 YPC (126th NCAA) -13 Yards (127th NCAA)

Grubb could fix a TON of our problems including the Rushing.

I'm REALLY hoping we can get him.
This was a quality post, Tusk.

I also like the fact that most of us had never heard of him, yet, he looks to be a definite up and comer!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Here's my take at the moment.

I want these hires to be the right hires.
I don't want a hurried decision or CNS to "settle" due to a timeline.
I don't think we're looking to sign any recruits in the second window so what's the hurry?
What we want and/or expect individually doesn't matter to the process.

No, I'm not gonna stop supporting this program if it's someone I don't know or I'm not fond of. Hell, I watched the decline of the last 2 years just as much as the previous 13 so I'll continue doing the same regardless.

Roll Tide!

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I don't know, RJ14.
Nick Saban is the nation's highest-paid college football coach for a third straight year, according to data released by USA Today. Now in his 16th season with the Crimson Tide, Saban's total pay for 2022 is $10.957 million, according to USA Today. Dabo Swinney was No. 2 followed by Kirby Smart.

2 million would be a little less than 20% of Saban's salary. Doesn't seem excessive to me. Washington is paying OC Grubb 2 million. Alabama should pay more than Washington IMO. Let's open up the wallet a little.
Yeah I’m not saying that if that is the new market price for a top OC that we shouldn’t pay it. But man, these prices are steep and you have to wonder where the ceiling is for what the market will bear. I mean, are universities going to start digging into endowments and mortgaging the library to pay a coaching staff? I know UA football brings in a boatload of money, but that has to pay for all the non-revenue producing sports and facilities as well. It doesn’t just stay in the football building.

Reactions: seebell

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Here's my take at the moment.

I want these hires to be the right hires.
I don't want a hurried decision or CNS to "settle" due to a timeline.
I don't think we're looking to sign any recruits in the second window so what's the hurry?
What we want and/or expect individually doesn't matter to the process.

No, I'm not gonna stop supporting this program if it's someone I don't know or I'm not fond of. Hell, I watched the decline of the last 2 years just as much as the previous 13 so I'll continue doing the same regardless.

Roll Tide!
“Decline”. We played for the NC just last year! Only lost when we couldn’t overcome the loss of all starting WRs. Beat that exact same team a month prior.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
“Decline”. We played for the NC just last year! Only lost when we couldn’t overcome the loss of all starting WRs. Beat that exact same team a month prior.
Literally 2 plays (JaMo knee and OSU FG) could be the difference between GA winning back to back titles and winning none.

Shows how slim the margins are at the highest levels of competition.

Folks don't' be disappointed. Grubbs wasn't offered the job. Word was it that he wanted 2 million dollar and he didn't exactly quite impressed Saban in the interview.
I mean, he's making $2M now. It would be idiotic to expect him to move across the country, leave behind his longtime mentor, AND take a play cut.

I think there is a certain “attitude” among the younger set of “up and comers” on the offensive side of the ball that may chafe this notion of “control”. They want to be able to “free wheel” unrestricted.
Which is fine by me. Saban insists on keeping the same terminology across the program so that the only people learning new verbiage are the people being paid to do it. That's also fine. But I fully get an established coach wanting to run his own offense or defense, regardless of Saban's undeniable greatness.

Reactions: Tidelines
Just consider it has more than doubled since he started in 2007. And that the whole world recoiled in horror when we hired him at 4 million per year.
I wrote a piece for the Tuscaloosa News defending that way back then. It's paywalled these days but I have an archived version at my personal site. It holds up pretty well, especially this:

Saban is able to return the Crimson Tide to its former glory, he’ll quite literally more than pay for himself. From July 1, 2005 to June 30, 2006, the football alone brought in more than $44 million. Indeed, football at successful programs like Alabama’s not only pays for itself, it helps pay for all the other sports programs on campus and pours millions into the school’s academic scholarship funds.

[...]

College football is a multi-billion dollar business and coaches command millions on the open market. Indeed, Saban actually took a pay cut when he came to Tuscaloosa. Because hiring a great coach is the fastest way to build credibility and aid recruiting, there is intense competition that spans the college and pro community.
If anything, I undershot his value to the school and the program.

Would it really be a pay cut though, given the cost of living?
It's a national market and the amount of dollars you get paid, especially at that level, is about ego and status as much as it is purchasing power. An NFL quarterback should really be willing to take $20 million instead of $35 million so that the team has more money to put good pieces around him because, really, what can't you afford on $20 million a year? Aside from Tom Brady, none ever did.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Okay, I'll accept that.

1 - Offense could still score with BY's ability to get out of trouble but the creativity and in-game adjustments were lacking IMO.

2 - The defense has been in a generally steady decline in identity, scheme and adjustments for a while now.

We need coordinators with proven ability to adjust with the personnel on the roster. That's simply not been the case from what I've gathered from the last 2 years.

Reactions: UAH and Methylred

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
And CNS, AD Moore and UA laughed all the way to the bank by year 3!
They were laughing all the way to the bank before kickoff of Year 1.

I can’t tell you who told me, but it was a name you’d recognize as someone who would unquestionably know: The University made the full amount of Saban’s first contract (i.e. the whole thing, not just the first year), in additional contributions that would not have otherwise happened, within 6-7 months after he was hired.

Yes, Saban has made a lot of money. He’s also the best bargain the University and Tuscaloosa have ever struck.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
It's a national market and the amount of dollars you get paid, especially at that level, is about ego and status as much as it is purchasing power. An NFL quarterback should really be willing to take $20 million instead of $35 million so that the team has more money to put good pieces around him because, really, what can't you afford on $20 million a year? Aside from Tom Brady, none ever did.
We’re talking a few hundred thousand at most, which isn’t comparable to $15M…

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Welp, 10th time I've checked this thread today and still no news. Guess we need to set the over/under on this conversation to 225 pages. But as important as these hires are, and they are important, Saban's success at the Capstone can only be highlighted due to this...

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Yeah I do not understand who is buying these houses at these prices and interest rates. I especially I do not understand who is paying these rent prices either.
Students are probably paying the rent out of their loan money so as far as they are concerned it’s “free money” and price doesn’t matter that much.

The houses, I got no idea. My little brother is looking for a house in/around town right now and the asking prices are just absolutely stupid for what you get. The same house he currently has elsewhere in the state would be about $50,000- $100,000 more in t-town.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.