OC and DC replacement discussion

If Brian Johnson is a serious contender on the list then we have to wait for the Eagles season to end.
Are we sure that's true?

I know that other NFL teams have certain windows in which they can interview coaches under contract but does that apply to colleges? For that matter, even if Johnson personally decided that he needs to dedicate himself 100% to coaching the Eagles to a Super Bowl win, that doesn't preclude discussions with his agent.

He's decent but we could and should do better.

ND has been on avg a 30th Ranked Offense under him.

His QB's avg about 210 YPG and he's had Zero 1,000 Yard WRs

I don't watch a ton of ND games but I've never been wowed by him.

This is a highly underwhelming development.
I have given zero thought to the idea of hiring Rees before C-Low's tweet. But, surely, you have to factor in that Notre Dame has less roster talent than BOB had to work with here.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I have given zero thought to the idea of hiring Rees before C-Low's tweet. But, surely, you have to factor in that Notre Dame has less roster talent than BOB had to work with here.
I'm also factoring in that ND was 41st in Scoring Offense in 2022 and there were a LOT of teams ranked higher with less talent than them.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Found some info on Rees. The last half of this past year the offense hit its stride. But, it's a very small sample size to conclude he's an offensive mastermind, IMO. He's very young.

Notre Dame averaged 37.2 offensive points per game (39.5 as a team), 461.3 yards per game and 7.1 yards per play in the final six games of the season. To put that into perspective, if that was Notre Dame's season long average it would rank 15th in points (7th if you look at the team number), 16th in yards per game and 3rd in yards per play.

Notre Dame's all-time record in yards per play is 7.0. It was clearly an explosive offense, but it was also an incredibly efficient offense.

Quarterback Jack Coan completed 73.7% of his passes during that stretch while averaging an outstanding 9.2 yards per attempt and racking up a passer rating o 168.19. Those numbers, if expanded over the entire season, would rank 3rd, 9th and 7th nationally.

Rees' willingness to build around the pass and how he attacked defenses opened up room for what was an abysmal ground attack in the first six games. Notre Dame went from 97.3 rushing yards per game in the first six games to 207.7 yards in the final six games.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Also good to rmemeber that Saban has hired several talented folks that probably couldn't get an FBS job anywhere and most fans were underwhelmed - guys like Kiffin and Sarkisian.

There's just no way to tell how an OC or DC will really be under Saban - the dynamic is different, so the results will (generally) be different.
I will admit that I was not a fan of the Sark hire mainly because of watching the Failcons. After watching both teams that year, it really started to show that Sark was not Atlanta's issue.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Fwiw I took a look at NDs recruiting and QB Talent over the last 6 years

2018 - 11th
2019 - 14th
2020 - 22nd
2021 - 9th
2022 - 6th
2023 - 10th

Avg - 12th

So I mean they aren't devoid of Talent.... and shouldn't being ranked that high produce an Offense better than 30th to 40th in the rankings?

2018 - 5th ranked Dual Threat QB and (2) 4-Star WRs
2019 - 3 Star QB and no WRs
2020 - 7th Ranked Pro Style QB and 5th Ranked 5-Star WR
2021 - 6th Ranked Dual Threat QB and (3) 4-Star WRs including the 6th Ranked
2022 - 3 Star QB and a 4-Star WR

That's Three High ranked QBs and 7 High ranked WRs he's worked with at least not counting portal players and they can only pass for 210 YPG and score 30 PPG?

Yeah color me not impressed in terms of production and development.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.