CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Grubb, Rees, whoever the next OC may be the dollar amount is probably NOT the main factor. One can be a great employee but if adaptation to philosophy, policies and procedures are an issue with the potential new employer then the fit isn’t there. Doesn’t mean either party is lesser or greater just simply not a match. I believe the “look at me” and “let’s get clicks” media misrepresented the Grubb situation and are likely to magnify the “Nobody wants to work for Saban” if Rees isn’t hired or it drags along.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Frankly, I do not think money will be a sticking point whatsoever. Most importantly is the feel the two guys have during the interview. Obviously, we want Rees. Obviously, Rees is intrigued to learn under Coach and work with the best. If the feeling is right, we probably have our new OC. I get the feeling that that "feeling" was not there during the interview with Grubb.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I read something yesterday that Grubb is making $1.5MM, not $2MM.
Grubb actually got two increases. The first at the end of the season along with a contract extension that reportedly took him to $1.5 million. As his name started circulating as a hot name, The Athletic reported in late December he was “bumped” again to $2 million by Washington.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I know the point that was trying to be made earlier in the thread about Notre Dame's relative talent level, and it is true they have been a fixture in the NFL draft lately. But not like Alabama/Georgia/Clemson. This is why Notre Dame has struggled so badly against those teams and failed to break through at the championship level under Kelly. It's also why Kelly moved to LSU. They got Clemson a couple of times, but never when Clemson had great talent.

So, I just don't think we can be certain of anything on Rees based upon his ND numbers. I think he is an up and coming talent, though. It may not be viewed as a home run hire at the moment, but in a few seasons it might be. I also do not think any of the mentioned candidates are home runs either.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
Sort of hate for a N.D. guy to gain so much insight into the success of Bama’s program. Maybe he will turn into a Bama guy after a few years. Sort of like Dabo is all Clemson. Kirby has already absconded with the blueprint to Georgia. We don’t need someone else taking it to ND.lol

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Personally if I had a choice between “going somewhere with Brian Kelly” or “going somewhere with the creepy guy in a van offering me candy”, I’m probably opting for the dude with the van.
Does the dude in the van have puppies or a snowcone machine? Does he live in it down by the river? Nevermind who am I kidding, move over and make room in the van.

RTR

• Haha
Reactions: The Ols and CB4

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I get the value of the full view of the field but losing the ability to talk to the quarterback face-to-face is huge. I think it makes more sense for the DC to be in the box than the OC.
It is actually the opposite. The DC needs to be on the field because he needs to be able to communicate with his players very quickly. All of the talking to the QB is done between series.

I am a HS OC and have called games from the booth and the field. I 100% prefer the booth. I am still able to communicate with the players that I need to communicate with in between every series of the game. I talk to the offense after every series of the game. I also have no issue with any coach that wants to call the game from the sidelines. I think it is about what is more comfortable for the play caller and/or what the team needs at the time.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I wonder now if Jeremy Pruitt was cleared somehow by the Board of Trustees (rumored they did not want him to be hired) or if Coach is interviewing people we have not really heard of/considered like he did with Tommy Rees. Anyone have any inside info on who else has interviewed other than Grantham?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.