OC and DC replacement discussion

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Kiffin and Sark weren't considered homerun hires when they were first hired. There were a lot of reservations about both of them when they were first hired. They weren't considered homerun hires until after the fact.
Eh, I don’t think there was any question that they were very good OCs. The reservations revolved around their off-field conduct.

Immature trolling and extramarital issues from Kiffin, and alcoholism from Sarkisian. Although admittedly I do remember some NFL fans here saying Sark wasn’t cutting it in ATL. But both were well known college OC quantities. Certainly more well known than Tommy Rees.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Eh, I don’t think there was any question that they were very good OCs. The reservations revolved around their off-field conduct.

Immature trolling and extramarital issues from Kiffin, and alcoholism from Sarkisian. Although admittedly I do remember some NFL fans here saying Sark wasn’t cutting it in ATL. But both were well known college OC quantities. Certainly more well known than Tommy Rees.
When you've got people who not only have played the position on both the college and pro level but are now paid to analyze the game saying Rees knows what he's doing and now that he has more talent will really flourish, that has to count for something. Granted, we all have our opinions, but I've now watched four sets of video of former college/nfl QB's now turned analyst breaking down what Rees does, and trust me, the guy isn't playing checkers and candyland on the play sheet. He's playing chess...

We complained about BOB not making it hard for opposing defenses with his scheming. That WILL NOT be the case with Rees. Go watch some of the breakdowns of his pre snap formations, shifts, motions etc. and tell me how much of that you saw with BOB in the last two years.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I’ll put it this way. Rees might not be the “home run” hire that many wanted or expected. However, there are a bunch of folks out there that know a heck of a lot more about football than I ever will that had Tommy Rees on there “short list”‘when it came to looking for an OC/QB coach. What does that mean? Maybe a lot or maybe nothing. Only time will tell. But I think he’s pretty good candidate to “cast your lot” with.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
When you've got people who not only have played the position on both the college and pro level but are now paid to analyze the game saying Rees knows what he's doing and now that he has more talent will really flourish, that has to count for something. Granted, we all have our opinions, but I've now watched four sets of video of former college/nfl QB's now turned analyst breaking down what Rees does, and trust me, the guy isn't playing checkers and candyland on the play sheet. He's playing chess...
I don’t disagree that Rees might be really good. Was just addressing the point that Kiffin or Sark weren’t considered great hires as OC. 🙂

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Although admittedly I do remember some NFL fans here saying Sark wasn’t cutting it in ATL. But both were well known college OC quantities. Certainly more well known than Tommy Rees.
I remember, but then what did Sark prove to be a master at? Scheming players WIDE open!

That's harder to do in the NFL with the parity on rosters. It's what I never understood about BOB's unwillingness to even try, or so it seemed!

Now, looks like Rees is much more like a college OC Sark or Kiffin who exploits defensive holes with certain types of plays!

I certainly hope this means bigger gains/plays on 1st down and fewer 3rd and longs!!! I also suspect we'll become more of a quick-strike offense the way we were with Sark.

If the running game becomes more deadly with strong downhill running the back end will open up with big plays over the top. Something we just couldn't generate last year!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The DC hire is suddenly perplexing. No Jeremy Pruitt and no Todd Grantham. It is probably not Leonhard so it would seem it is Schumann or bust? Just seems to me that the Schumann hire could have already been made if it were him. I mean, who else out there has an inkling on how to run a Saban D?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
The DC hire is suddenly perplexing. No Jeremy Pruitt and no Todd Grantham. It is probably not Leonhard so it would seem it is Schumann or bust? Just seems to me that the Schumann hire could have already been made if it were him. I mean, who else out there has an inkling on how to run a Saban D?
Who can honestly say they saw Tommy Rees coming?

A week ago, I barley knew Tommy Rees existed so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Reactions: Con and CoolBreeze

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It wouldn't shock me if it's a relatively unheard-of guy.

I was kinda hoping CNS would return to this MO in hiring both coordinators cause it's worked pretty well for us and considering the BOB hire, it didn't!

He tried this with Pete and it didn't work out, but he definitely did it with Rees - who was on his radar before hiring BOB.

CNS still uses a Rolodex...he's got contacts we've never heard of!

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I don’t disagree that Rees might be really good. Was just addressing the point that Kiffin or Sark weren’t considered great hires as OC. 🙂
I do not recall them being viewed as “great, can’t miss” hires. Most believed they would be successful, no doubt.

But having the immense amount of Alabama talent and structure at their disposal has greatly improved their standing.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Jess has a good run down on the DC search in the sticky above - Good Stuff.

If UGA were dead set on locking down Schumann as DC in Athens then would we consider Will in T-Town?

I think I read somewhere that Muschamp and Saban are still friends, but that Muschamp has said he'd rather not work with Saban again. I am not sure about him anyway... he seems to have anger issues. I recall how angry he got as DC at Auburn when Bama played them and he caused about 3 or 4 15 yard penalties in a row to help Alabama score. lol. His face was really red too. Not sure if he still has those anger issues. Also, I think his son still goes to UGA, so I doubt he'd be interested in being our DC. Who knows though. I think he and Kirby are really good friends also.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think I read somewhere that Muschamp and Saban are still friends, but that Muschamp has said he'd rather not work with Saban again. I am not sure about him anyway... he seems to have anger issues. I recall how angry he got as DC at Auburn when Bama played them and he caused about 3 or 4 15 yard penalties in a row to help Alabama score. lol. His face was really red too. Not sure if he still has those anger issues. Also, I think his son still goes to UGA, so I doubt he'd be interested in being our DC. Who knows though. I think he and Kirby are really good friends also.
They say a squad takes on the personality of their coach. If our guys on D had anger issues the past couple of years we might just have a couple of more titles. I don't know, Will flamed out as a head coach be he has always been solid as a defensive coach. Talk about the ultimate rehab job on Nick's staff...

Reactions: Con

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It wouldn't shock me if it's a relatively unheard-of guy.

I was kinda hoping CNS would return to this MO in hiring both coordinators cause it's worked pretty well for us and considering the BOB hire, it didn't!

He tried this with Pete and it didn't work out, but he definitely did it with Rees - who was on his radar before hiring BOB.

CNS still uses a Rolodex...he's got contacts we've never heard of!
I think it could be someone like possibly Geoff Collins or Kevin Steele if Schumann is “off the table”. Bring in an experienced guy that CNS has a history with and put someone like Armstrong or T-Rob in a co-coordinator role?

And hopefully clear a path for JP as an analyst at some point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.