Off Season Conditioning and Offensive Philosophy

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
With the O line particularly, does the conditioning program emphasize different drills/weight training depending on planned offensive emphasis? If Alabama is committed to a more physical, run oriented offense, is that reflected in the off season program?

I wonder how you build in " mean " in an off season program?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
With the O line particularly, does the conditioning program emphasize different drills/weight training depending on planned offensive emphasis? If Alabama is committed to a more physical, run oriented offense, is that reflected in the off season program?

I wonder how you build in " mean " in an off season program?
The process that Saban implemented when he first came to Alabama, it's largely in place. Nothing really changed. Cochran left, and we hired Ballou and Rhea. It's not the program that has changed, if anything it has got better and that it's more of the voice behind the off season program.... Cochran is more intense. Ballou and Rhea was more scientific data person.....

Then you have on the field and off the field coaches and analysts that wasn't more " aggressive" in meetings and weight room. We now have that from the people Saban hired in last few months.

That alone won't fix everything in few months, but it's a progress and I think we'll see a much better team on the field this fall, and it's result of hires, and more players being vocal.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The process that Saban implemented when he first came to Alabama, it's largely in place. Nothing really changed. Cochran left, and we hired Ballou and Rhea. It's not the program that has changed, if anything it has got better and that it's more of the voice behind the off season program.... Cochran is more intense. Ballou and Rhea was more scientific data person.....

Then you have on the field and off the field coaches and analysts that wasn't more " aggressive" in meetings and weight room. We now have that from the people Saban hired in last few months.

That alone won't fix everything in few months, but it's a progress and I think we'll see a much better team on the field this fall, and it's result of hires, and more players being vocal.
You make some good points.

First, it’s a lot easier to kid yourself into thinking a culture isn’t eroding than it is to keep it on an even keel, let alone build one from scratch.

We got mentally and physically soft, especially in the trenches. Can you imagine Rolando McClain, Reuben Foster, Jonathan Allen, CJ Moseley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Quinnen Williams, or any of a laundry list of war horses whining about anxiety?

If not for a gladiator in Bryce Young, we would have lost several more games.

We tolerated soft defenses and a steadily declining OL for several years. Why, I don’t know. I’d love to sit down with Saban and some adult beverages / truth serum and learn what his thought processes were — Golding, O’Brien and Marrone….could be a long evening.

I’d also point out that the best offense in CFB history in 2020 masked some shortcomings in the trenches and in the D as a whole.

The former culture wasn’t built in a single offseason. No, we’re not starting from the below-ground-level point we were in the spring of 2007, but we do have some serious foundational re-building to do.

Good news is that the players are saying all the right things.

Question marks are (1) Saban was saying good stuff this time last year, and we know how that turned out, and (2) Talking in May is one thing. Delivering a game-clinching soul-draining drive, converting multiple 3rd and 3s when everybody in the stadium knows it’s a run, on the road, in the last 5 minutes, when the hostile crowd is rocking, is entirely another.

In the immortal words of Mike Tyson, “Errbody gots a plan ‘til dey get punched in the mouf.”

We’re talking the talk in the offseason. We’ll see if we can walk the walk in the season.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

First, it’s a lot easier to kid yourself into thinking a culture isn’t eroding than it is to keep it on an even keel, let alone build one from scratch.

We got mentally and physically soft, especially in the trenches. Can you imagine Rolando McClain, Reuben Foster, Jonathan Allen, CJ Moseley, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Quinnen Williams, or any of a laundry list of war horses whining about anxiety?

We tolerated soft defenses and a steadily declining OL for several years. Why, I don’t know. I’d love to sit down with Saban and some adult beverages / truth serum and learn what his thought processes were — Golding, O’Brien and Marrone….could be a long evening.

I’d also point out that the best offense in CFB history in 2020 masked some shortcomings in the trenches and in the D as a whole.

The former culture wasn’t built in a single offseason. No, we’re not starting from the below-ground-level point we were in the spring of 2007, but we have some serious foundational building to do.

Question marks are (1) Saban was saying good stuff this time last year, and we know how that turned out, and (2) Talking in May is one thing. Delivering a game-clinching soul-draining drive, converting multiple 3rd and 3s when everybody in the stadium knows it’s a run, on the road, in the last 5 minutes, when the hostile crowd is rocking, is entirely another.

In the immortal words of Mike Tyson, “Errbody gots a plan ‘til they get punched in the mouf.”

We’re talking the talk in the offseason. We’ll see if we can walk the walk in the season.
The biggest accelerant the first go round was that there were guys who were tired of losing and bought in quickly. Not all, but those that did went head first and full steam ahead into the Process.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

The former culture wasn’t built in a single offseason. No, we’re not starting from the below-ground-level point we were in the spring of 2007, but we do have some serious foundational re-building to do.

In the immortal words of Mike Tyson, “Errbody gots a plan ‘til dey get punched in the mouf.”

I love your quoting Iron Mike. I have used his motto for years. It's true. I have seen guys take the punch then go crazy punching the other guy, and I've seen guys who were supposed to be tough wilt and get their butts beat. It's what's inside that counts.
I went to school with a little guy who never quit fighting even when he was hurt. He beat up some pretty big guys because they quit and he didn't.
If every player on the Alabama team had that attitude, we would never loose.

Reactions: Bubbaloo

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
That happens in practice, if at all, in my experience.

I've seen some pretty mild-mannered dudes learn to flip the switch if the young man is in the right head space and the coach knows how to instill that attitude.
I agree. Seen some guys go dud to stud because a coach pushed the right buttons. They began to believe in their self and see they could do it to a level they didn’t even know they could.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
We've saw LSU and Tennessee turn around on one off season. The only thing that held them back was just not enough overall talent. So get the right coaches and find a few leaders who are tired of losing and you can make big strides. and we do NOT lack talent, it's between the ears that we have been lacking.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We've saw LSU and Tennessee turn around on one off season. The only thing that held them back was just not enough overall talent. So get the right coaches and find a few leaders who are tired of losing and you can make big strides. and we do NOT lack talent, it's between the ears that we have been lacking.
" it`s between the ears that we have been lacking." I`m assuming that that`s an inference that coaching has been sub-standard (?).

Reactions: Tidelines

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I think coach Wolford is the guy to get it done. There is no reason he had success at Kentucky and won't have success here. Its same freaking conference. Jess N Alluded to it in his A-day wrap up. Doug Marrone and BOB did a lot of damage to our offense. So it's coming along its just maybe a little slower than we like. He has beefed up our guys on O-line recruiting wise.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
I agree. Seen some guys go dud to stud because a coach pushed the right buttons. They began to believe in their self and see they could do it to a level they didn’t even know they could.
Bryan Cox, who was a pretty good linebacker for the Dolphins and Bears in the 90s, would convince himself that players from the other team had harmed his family. I'll spare the details of story lines he would create as they are not for the faint of heart, but he would yell at the offense why they did that to his family and bring himself to tears. It would freak the opposing team out. It also led to quite a few fights over his career. Off the field he was a good dude.

• Facepalm
Reactions: Con and HighlandOak

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Bryan Cox, who was a pretty good linebacker for the Dolphins and Bears in the 90s, would convince himself that players from the other team had harmed his family. I'll spare the details of story lines he would create as they are not for the faint of heart, but he would yell at the offense why they did that to his family and bring himself to tears. It would freak the opposing team out. It also led to quite a few fights over his career. Off the field he was a good dude.
My youngest son played in a benefit golf tournament 20 years ago or more...the celebrity in his group was Brian Cox. I walked with them and he was incredibly nice, funny, and an all around good guy. Hard to square that with what I saw on the football field.

Reactions: Con and seebell

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Question marks are (1) Saban was saying good stuff this time last year, and we know how that turned out, and (2) Talking in May is one thing.
Delivering a game-clinching soul-draining drive, converting multiple 3rd and 3s when everybody in the stadium knows it’s a run, on the road, in the last 5 minutes, when the hostile crowd is rocking, is entirely another.

That's excellent point. I can't agree with you more. However, Whenever Saban speaks about his team, and what they are capable of, he doesn't hold back. He really thought they had an opportunity to get in CFB. In the game they lost, It was coaching. One was on BOB, One was on Golding. Both didn't adjust in the game, when they did, it was too late. This is why we have coaches now that are known for creativity, scheming and adjustments. I don't think We heard what Saban said about this team yet. He likes the group as a whole, but question is QB.. .can they deliver? that's his concern.

Reactions: Con

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
We will see more tight ends in the game also. Hopefully we will get back to punishing teams like LSU that play light in the but trying to chase the QB around . LOL 😂

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
If we can trust the hype @ Julian Sayin -- this year's QB may be a one season starter. Best scenario would be for Sayin to redshirt a year and then have his turn...but he may be too good to sit for long. Even Tua thought about leaving when he was not playing...

CFB 1st world problem...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If we can trust the hype @ Julian Sayin -- this year's QB may be a one season starter. Best scenario would be for Sayin to redshirt a year and then have his turn...but he may be too good to sit for long. Even Tua thought about leaving when he was not playing...

CFB 1st world problem...
I think Sayin has a ton of potential, but BY was a higher ranked recruit and he didn't start his FR season - I doubt we see Sayin as a starter before his second season at Bama.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
I think Sayin has a ton of potential, but BY was a higher ranked recruit and he didn't start his FR season - I doubt we see Sayin as a starter before his second season at Bama.
It is a HUGE jump, no doubt about it. If one of our current players hits lightening then 2024 will be interesting. Come to think of it. it will be interesting no matter what!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.