Off season roster moves

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
What we have to hope is that those minutes, while frustrating at times, will pay dividends next season.
i agree…at the same time I’m frustrated because at times this year he was clearly killing us..while Q was riding the pine…it’s like Oats was determined to prove he was the next Collin Sexton which he obviously was no where close. I just never could make sense of Oats’ player rotation all season long.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
i agree…at the same time I’m frustrated because at times this year he was clearly killing us..while Q was riding the pine…it’s like Oats was determined to prove he was the next Collin Sexton which he obviously was no where close. I just never could make sense of Oats’ player rotation all season long.
Nor could I until it was revealed that so many players skipped voluntary practices/shoot arounds. No true leadership among the players killed the potential.

Reactions: AlexanderFan

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
He was making a point to Q

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I understand that, but for some reason he never was willing to “make a point” to JD. Turnover after turnover.
It doesn't sound like you understand that or you wouldn't have said he was trying to make him the next Collin Sexton. The turnovers were bad, no doubt. I'm sure you've heard many coaches in all manner of sports say that they generally choose the player giving greater effort.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I understand that, but for some reason he never was willing to “make a point” to JD. Turnover after turnover.
Goodness enough from you and everyone putting so much blame on the the true freshman JD. He out of the guards (excluding Ellis played multiple spots) was the only one giving effort and could play decent defense not to mention rebound and still made some decent assists. Yes his turn overs were terrible. But JQ literally would just dribble the ball off his foot unforced to the other team at least once a game and had bad turn overs too as a 3rd year player in the system. Shac also was no better with the ball either. All the blame goes to those two older guys who should have been helping teach the true freshman JD but they did not. (do not bring up star ratings he did not rate himself) JD brought effort, rebounding and defense all 3 which JQ and shac did not so it was an easy call to play JD. Unfortunately no one could become a leader. I do not see why you and others keep focusing and complaining about the freshmen when the two guys who were supposed to be all stars ended up being the problem and liability. Shac ended up being super streaky like Petty but unlike him could not make up for it with defense and rebounding not to mention the weak layups and chunk a shots that were basically like turn overs the back end of the season.

Honestly think Oats did about as good as anyone could with the attitude from some of these guys and next year will tell a lot. We lacked a true PG in this system and you could tell but we get that and can get rolling. I hope JD comes back with this incoming class and if we keep Bediako and Gary AND stay injury free for once next year looks very bright. This program is in the best shape it has been in my lifetime. It is exciting.

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
It doesn't sound like you understand that or you wouldn't have said he was trying to make him the next Collin Sexton. The turnovers were bad, no doubt. I'm sure you've heard many coaches in all manner of sports say that they generally choose the player giving greater effort.
It seemed to me JD had a LOT longer leash than the other guys. esp. Q and Shack….for whatever reason.

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
Goodness enough from you and everyone putting so much blame on the the true freshman JD. He out of the guards (excluding Ellis played multiple spots) was the only one giving effort and could play decent defense not to mention rebound and still made some decent assists. Yes his turn overs were terrible. But JQ literally would just dribble the ball off his foot unforced to the other team at least once a game and had bad turn overs too as a 3rd year player in the system. Shac also was no better with the ball either. All the blame goes to those two older guys who should have been helping teach the true freshman JD but they did not. (do not bring up star ratings he did not rate himself) JD brought effort, rebounding and defense all 3 which JQ and shac did not so it was an easy call to play JD. Unfortunately no one could become a leader. I do not see why you and others keep focusing and complaining about the freshmen when the two guys who were supposed to be all stars ended up being the problem and liability. Shac ended up being super streaky like Petty but unlike him could not make up for it with defense and rebounding not to mention the weak layups and chunk a shots that were basically like turn overs the back end of the season.

Honestly think Oats did about as good as anyone could with the attitude from some of these guys and next year will tell a lot. We lacked a true PG in this system and you could tell but we get that and can get rolling. I hope JD comes back with this incoming class and if we keep Bediako and Gary AND stay injury free for once next year looks very bright. This program is in the best shape it has been in my lifetime. It is exciting.
The problem was everyone knows Q and Shack were our best scoring options. There were several times both would be on the bench with us trailing. Made no sense.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
The problem was everyone knows Q and Shack were our best scoring options. There were several times both would be on the bench with us trailing. Made no sense.
Shack averaged 34.1 minutes per game this season. Other than, I think, one game that he was in foul trouble, I am not sure what games you are talking about where Shack and JQ were both out when we were trailing. JQ averaged 30 min per game, while JD average 25.8 min per game. So, I believe that your memory is skewed a bit. There were also a lot of instances that JD and JQ played at the same time. So, I am really having a hard time understanding what you are talking about with your posts.

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
Shack averaged 34.1 minutes per game this season. Other than, I think, one game that he was in foul trouble, I am not sure what games you are talking about where Shack and JQ were both out when we were trailing. JQ averaged 30 min per game, while JD average 25.8 min per game. So, I believe that your memory is skewed a bit. There were also a lot of instances that JD and JQ played at the same time. So, I am really having a hard time understanding what you are talking about with your posts.
Did you watch the games, or just look those numbers up?

Anyway, Roll Tide. 🐘

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Did you watch the games, or just look those numbers up?

Anyway, Roll Tide. 🐘
Man, I don't know how you think this site works, but this isn't twitter where you just spew smart *** comments back at people. For you to make a comment like that, shows your ignorance. Not only did I watch every game (some games multiple times) I was AT most of them. I also asked you for what games you were referring to, so can you give me an answer? And yes I did look up those numbers because I like to operate in FACTS. The facts that I just gave you don't line up with what you are saying.

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009

Again, JQ was just as much a problem as he was a help. He played little to no defense and was not always on with scoring. Shack was either hot or ice cold and played no defense and could not handle the ball at all. Both turned it over also. Neither were much an upgrade over JD. You are just trying to bash the kid for no reason and making it out like he was playing a ton over someone when he was not. IDK why you seem to hate the kid but the problem was those two along with Gurley not being what we hoped and injuries coming into the season.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Man, I don't know how you think this site works, but this isn't twitter where you just spew smart *** comments back at people. For you to make a comment like that, shows your ignorance. Not only did I watch every game (some games multiple times) I was AT most of them. I also asked you for what games you were referring to, so can you give me an answer? And yes I did look up those numbers because I like to operate in FACTS. The facts that I just gave you don't line up with what you are saying.
Check out Box Plus Minus on the Advanced Stats. Q wasn’t great there.

Bediako was the leader or among the leaders in the SEC in several stats. Shooting efficiency, PER, etc.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Check out Box Plus Minus on the Advanced Stats. Q wasn’t great there.

Bediako was the leader or among the leaders in the SEC in several stats. Shooting efficiency, PER, etc.
It's interesting to compare Q's stats under Advanced for this year and last year.

Reactions: BamaMike05

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.