Off topic...Sark (should he have taken the UTw job?)

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Should this be moved into another forum? Sorry if I've posted incorrectly.

What does everyone think of the cluster surrounding the Texas "Eyes" song? There seems to be a giant controversy at Texas that threatens to undermine Sark. I didn't know much about it until seeing an article today. It looks ominous. Wonder if he should,d have thought twice about taking that job. Texas hasn't been relevant in years and even their one off appearance against us was a blip on the radar, not necessarily something they did often. What say you?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
What does everyone think of the cluster surrounding the Texas "Eyes" song? There seems to be a giant controversy at Texas that threatens to undermine Sark. I didn't know much about it until seeing an article today. It looks ominous. Wonder if he should,d have thought twice about taking that job. Texas hasn't been relevant in years and even their one off appearance against us was a blip on the radar, not necessarily something they did often. What say you?
It seems clear that the topic was discussed with Sark before he accepted the job--he addressed the issue in his opening presser. Rightly or wrongly, he went in with eyes wide open.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I didn’t even know the song existed until a couple years ago when it became a huge issue. Dropping the song doesn’t effect my life so I don’t care. But if it causes strife in another big program, I am all for it being cancelled.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sark knew. but the latest development on alumni threatening student to find a job out of state... not a good look for the program. I wouldn't be shocked if Sark leaves Texas within 2 years for another job out west, if this continues.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Yes.

Hopefully he has success there but ****** off enough people so that it makes his continued employment untenable and then he leaves for greener pastures in Tuscaloosa when Saban retires.

Reactions: Con

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Yes, he was right to take the Texas job. One of the more prestigious jobs in college football... but it seems to come with a lot of potential baggage and Big Donor meddling. I hope he navigates it well enough to keep his life together and have mediocre success on the field. (Hey, it's Texas... ground zero for arrogant entitled fans and alumni. I don't wish them great success.) And yes, assuming no... um... issues... surface, I'd like to see him return to Tuscaloosa in a few years.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'd ask it like this, "What assistant wouldn't take the risk to be the head coach at a traditional blue-blood program that's willing to pay you millions to be the face of the program?" Answer: 99.9% would take the job

A separate question would be: "Will he actually be able to be successful there with these issues?" Answer: Nobody knows

Reactions: The Ols

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Should he have taken it?

I guess it depends on how much money he has in the bank (or feels he needs in the bank).

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020
Of course the financial issues are great for him. He's earned it but I think he could have waited for another premier job without the baggage. IMHO he was the number 1 candidate for a HC job and that wasn't going to change.

The article from yesterday is more revealing than he might have been told and the booster statements could impact recruiting. The temperature seems to be rising and it doesn't appear to be going away. Navigating the issue with players who object, an administration saying it stays and boosters who have basically told players to kiss off are the makings for a toxic dumpster fire. It's far more than your average bad look. Good payday for sure and if he can smooth it over he'll be a hero but I'm betting he won't. That dressing room might be very tense.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
$34.2 million reasons to go to Texas.

My recommendation is to change their song to Doug Supernaw's "Red and Rio Grande". In that they would be telling all athletes in Texas that if you are good to come there instead of A & M, Oklahoma, TCU, Baylor, Alabama, Colorado, USC, UCLA, LSU, Oklahoma State, et al. They'd be saying they control the state of Texas from the Red River to the Rio Grande. However, I do not want that to happen. It's not the eyes of Texas, but I do not think it has the history of working on the railroad or the Eyes of Texas are among you....... I just talked to a UT (Texas) graduate today who just could not understand why the previous coach, Coach Herman, was FIRED.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.