Offensive Coordinator Comparison 2019 to 2018

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
……. and we've yet to scratch the surface with K-Rob! Kid is gonna be a stud once he figures out how to play at this level.
K Rob has been fun to watch. I think the run game will come around....now, getting that short yard when we absolutely have to, will probably come via play action pass if our guys don't start run blocking better. I do think when Brown comes back after this week, that we will see a difference. He made a huge difference last year, was noticeable when he was absent.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
As I stated before, Only issue I have with Sark is that he can call a bonehead play or two once in a while. I mentioned there was a series where he called 3 straight runs to the left side.. I can't remember.. it was in first half.

Another thing, we may see RPO offense early in season, but we may not see much of that in October and November...
I loved that series because I thought we needed to burn some clock there and also to see if our line and backs could get it done. I suspect Coach Saban had similar thoughts and had a hand in that series. Unfortunately, we saw that the line and backs couldn't get it done, so we had to go back to the Tua and gang show. I agree they are a strength and should be utilized, but I also know it doesn't help a thin defense and young defense to be on the field for 80 or 90 plays. We have great offensive talent, but if we can't control the line more than we have so far this year, I would expect a loss or two.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
For the first time in my life as a Bama fan, I feel better when I see the QB drop back to pass than when he hands off.
Hahaha, it is funny, but it is hard to get used to it. I love a good five or six yard run that sets up a favorable 2nd down play, but our backs don't seem to have anywhere to go when they are handed the ball. I did see a few very solid runs Saturday, so I'm hoping we can get the running game going so we will have the ability to gash defenses any way we like.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Sarkisian is a much better choice as OC than Locksley. All you have to see is Tua finding the open check down receiver rather than forcing a throw. My concern with our current passing offense is that the better teams, LSU, UGA, and auburn will make those quick slant routes harder to complete because they have better athletes in the secondary and are better coached. I still contend that without an effective running game, especially in the red zone, will come back to bite us at some point.
I would say that UGA and AU defenses are not better coached than USC's, LSU's may be but they are getting torched this year. LSU does not have the DL of their past.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
My question is what has Saban always said about playmakers? He has always said we need to get the ball in the hands of the playmakers and let them run.

I do believe we need to establish a consistent running game, but I don't think it really matters to Saban right now. Where is the strength of this team? The quarterback and receivers are clearly head and shoulders above all other units right now because they have more experience. The running backs we have are good, but are not consistent enough to run between the tackles. Why not get them the ball in space from a quarterback who can get it to you? Are we really going to sacrifice yardage just so we can turn around and hand the ball off to someone for the stats? I think Saban and the coaches know at the end of the day we need to improve in many areas, but the first thing you need to keep in mind is you play to win the game. (Cue Herm Edwards)

Folks, this is something we are not used to at Alabama. We've been used to 3 yards and a cloud of dust and rely on defense to shut them down. With the talent we have now, and, more importantly, the injuries on D we have right now, I believe we are getting some quality play calling for an offense that is loaded with some of the best that has ever been at Alabama. I think Sark has called 3 great games and has Tua looking for what the defense is giving him. I no longer see us trying to hit the home run every time, but I see the playmakers making plays like their supposed to. This is a true NFL style offense, in my opinion, and it is working.

There is a reason there is a phrase "Tanking for Tua." I think teams are now drooling even more.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
Great post - thanks.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Geez. Do you really think Saban has that little input on things?
I think he has tremendous input but I’m just not impressed with Sark as a play-caller.

Unfortunately we don’t play a team with a pulse until November. Let’s talk about this again after the LSU game.

Last edited:

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I can't tell if you poke to fight or if you really believe that the sky is falling...either way,I'm cool if you leave Sark alone until after L8U...:pDT_mob: on TideFans.com
I think he has tremendous input but I’m just not impressed with Sark as a play-caller.

Unfortunately we don’t play a team with a pulse until November. Let’s talk about this again after the LSU game.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I can't tell if you poke to fight or if you really believe that the sky is falling...either way,I'm cool if you leave Sark alone until after L8U...:pDT_mob: on TideFans.com

We have a generational talent in Tua—despite Sark. In other words,I think Sark has had little impact on our qb play.

If we want to compete for a NC, I think we need huge improvement on D and the run game.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
After getting so frustrated during the years when we stubbornly tried to run to set up the pass regardless of how many were in the box, I love the willingness to throw the ball to open up the run. We need to definitely improve in our run game. It is important to be able to run clock, but I think we will get there.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
We have a generational talent in Tua—despite Sark. In other words,I think Sark has had little impact on our qb play.
If you haven't noticed the improvement in Tua's game (not just the numbers, but also the decisions he makes) then you're either not paying attention or you're looking for a reason to not like Sarkisian.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
If you haven't noticed the improvement in Tua's game (not just the numbers, but also the decisions he makes) then you're either not paying attention or you're looking for a reason to not like Sarkisian.
Thing I appreciate is so far in the first three games is that Tua hasn’t taken a substantial number of hits. I’m sure Sark will use more RPO stuff and Tua will be forced to keep it as the season progresses. But against teams where we don’t need it, he doesn’t use it so much. Those hits can have a cumulative effect.

And I agree with CA on this: Tua is much more patient in going through progressions, less dependent on pre-snap reads and much more willing to take check downs and what is available to him.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think Sark inherited more problems than Locksley ever did, and has done better than locks even with the limitations of the running game.

I think our running game is a work in progress that will most likely come together with time. But right now Sark has mostly taken the Steve Spurrier philosophy of “ I’m going to keep using it until you show you can stop it”.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.