***Official Bama v. barn Post-Game Thread***

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
This does not fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff. Players made mistakes that cost us this football game. In particular, three big ones in the Red Zone. The game plan was right on! The only thing we may want to blame on the coaches is the substitution penalties.
True. Our O got very vanilla in the second half and tried to squat on the lead, which is on the coaches, but I think it's definitely more on the players. I'm not sure if this is on the coaches or the line calls at the LOS, but we had Steen try to solo block Fairly a number of times...most of which seemed to lead to big plays for the barn. The blown assignments are all on the players...the calls had them in the right position, but breakdowns led to negative plays or points.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
GrayTide, I guess we'll just have to see where things go from here, won't we?
I agree and my comments were not meant as a personal attack. I hope you are right and the proof is uncovered and whatever AU accomplished will go down the toilet. The better team won today and if there is anyone to blame it would be the players not the SEC, the officials or the NCAA.

Bama1970

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2007
Lucedale, Ms
True. Our O got very vanilla in the second half and tried to squat on the lead, which is on the coaches, but I think it's definitely more on the players. I'm not sure if this is on the coaches or the line calls at the LOS, but we had Steen try to solo block Fairly a number of times...most of which seemed to lead to big plays for the barn. The blown assignments are all on the players...the calls had them in the right position, but breakdowns led to negative plays or points.
Steen should have learned quickly that he couldn't block fairly with a one hand push.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
***sssiiiiighh***...

I'm pretty upset about this one. Looking for something to punch...but alas, as soon as the clock hit 0:00 my family summoned me to come and help erect the Christmas tree. I'll start and finish that task strongly. And for the record, Julio's still my MVP of this game. He dominated the game. Just couldn't get it to him more in the 2nd half. He couldn't have had a better performance for his last game at BDS. Same for GMac. Hate it for Ingram & Richardson that they couldn't do more because of the nagging injuries. But in any event...RTR...I'm going to put up a Christmas tree.
Julio scored major points with me, seeing him sitting on the bench with a groggy Greg, with his arm around him...

dave12

All-SEC
Dec 14, 2002
hueytown, al. usa
Yep, throw in our miscues on D (3 TDs on broken coverage plays) and no adjustments on O and we didn't deserve to win. I can't believe the same stuff that we've struggled with all year is still there. They attacked us in the flats with ease in the second half (PSU and Arky gave us trouble there); our secondary is out of position; our offensive playcalling hides in a shell when momentum starts to shift to the other team; and our guys just seemed to go through the motions in the second half.
I'm not really sure what is is, but i know this team has not played a full 60 mins. of football all year long. And they didn't today, the 1st and 2nd halves were two different ball games.:eek:

RTR:biga2:

TidePrideGA

All-American
Dec 6, 1999
Athens GA
I place some of the blame on the coaching staff. McElwain hasn't done a very good job of making adjustments this year. We completely gave up on the running game in the 2nd half. That allowed Auburn to tee off on McElroy. I don't think I saw one play action pass. A lot of this is on the coaches and the scheme they employed in the second half.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Steen should have learned quickly that he couldn't block fairly with a one hand push.
yeah, but its not on him b/c he's a RS freshman and should be expected NOT to know better. It is on the coaches or the calls at the line from Greg or Vlachos to realize the consequences of asking a first time starter (I don't count the Ga. St. game as a start since it's really a worthless game other than for a W) to block one of the best DT's in the country.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I agree and my comments were not meant as a personal attack. I hope you are right and the proof is uncovered and whatever AU accomplished will go down the toilet. The better team won today and if there is anyone to blame it would be the players not the SEC, the officials or the NCAA.
GrayTide, the personal attack comment was NOT meant for you. It was meant for the person calling somone else "mentally deficient". I took no offense even though I may disagree with you.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Now that I have calmed down, I think the biggest issue is this team did not have the leadership it needed. As Saban said more than once, not doing it right all the time will kill you. We have lots of 4 & 5 * talent, we need leaders. We need people like Javy, Johnson & Peek to go along with the stars.

I know Saban will preach this for the next month & spring practice. It will be up to the players to step up and lead. You can't force someone to be a leader.

I look forward to a much better attitude next season.
Good call.

Craxycat

All-SEC
Apr 24, 2009
Julio scored major points with me, seeing him sitting on the bench with a groggy Greg, with his arm around him...
You and me both...Julio is spectacular and his leadership showed in this game. I am going to miss the heck outta him when he leaves.

Also was it just me or did anyone else see Dont'a and Nico pushing the D in the first Q? Taking charge to put them in the right place and on target?

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Or if Ingram hadn't had that fluke fumble through the end zone.
Here's the deal on that play, number 45 for the barn chased the play and did not give up. After Ingram was slowed down, he was there to punch the ball out from behind. It was a fluke, but it was also a great effort play by #45 for the Barn.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I place some of the blame on the coaching staff. McElwain hasn't done a very good job of making adjustments this year. We completely gave up on the running game in the 2nd half. That allowed Auburn to tee off on McElroy. I don't think I saw one play action pass. A lot of this is on the coaches and the scheme they employed in the second half.
No offense, but if I understand you correctly, you wanted us to run the ball MORE in the second half? Even after Julio had 150 yards in the first? We never ran the ball well tonight. I think we went away from what we did well in the first quarter (quicker tempo passing game to set up the occasional draw play) and tried to run the ball in the 3rd quarter to milk the clock and hope they don't come back. We lost our aggressive mentality when we tried to run, plus our OL never got much of a push.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.