Bama Game Thread: Official game thread 12/29 BAMA vs.Tennessee @8 pm

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
While Bama didn't lose, this was still a somewhat frustrating win for many of us. All fans are a little stressed in such a situation so we weren't ready to discuss future games or opponents. Emotions were still a little ramped up for a while after the game. There is a time and a place...

Gurley has had only a few impactful performances so far this season; last night was exceptional. I hope he is finally breaking out. My pre-season expectation (hope) was that he would average 10-12 points a game and maybe 6-7 rebounds but didn't really know too much about him. I'm back to hopeful for the remainder of the season.

Switching Ellis to cover the quick point guard (Zeigler) looked like a good move during the later part of the game. Quinnerly didn't need to commit any more fouls and Zeigler was getting loose too often. It took a couple of trips but Ellis figured out the proper spacing and it put a bit of a damper on UT's offense. Ellis nailed some shots late too. Sometimes it seems like he gets lost or forgotten on offense when he should probably play a bigger role; of course, it will vary from game to game.

Last edited:

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Just don't see how we don't dominate on the front court. Bama needs major work there.

Saving grace is, yeah, the guards. I don't see JD going wild but a good Shack performance could win a game on its own.
I agree with you on you could probably dominate the front court, but JQ and Shack have to have a big game, if we can't get out and run we have to go slow and that's not our mo!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I’m guessing Miles situation must be behavior or rule oriented. He was dressed. Ready to play.
In the last timeout, he leaned over to where his forehead was actually resting on Gurley's chest and had something lengthy to say. I assumed it was encouragement. However, Gurley didn't react in any way whatsoever. I found it puzzling. We could have used Miles last night...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree with you on you could probably dominate the front court, but JQ and Shack have to have a big game, if we can't get out and run we have to go slow and that's not our mo!
Enough with the Auburn stuff. We have only one poster who's interested in comparing the two teams at this point in time. I, like most Bama fans, get interested in AU only when they're the next game. Continual references to comparisons to AU do not belong in a Bama game thread. If they're going to happen, they need to be in a separate thread. Then, people who are really interested can contribute without its continually derailing the Bama game thread...

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
This team greatly misses Jones, Petty, Reese and Bruner. You need leadership and toughness and this team does not have it. Oats also needs to learn how to coach a team up when the other team takes away the 3 point line.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This team greatly misses Jones, Petty, Reese and Bruner. You need leadership and toughness and this team does not have it. Oats also needs to learn how to coach a team up when the other team takes away the 3 point line.
Let’s dig a bit deeper.
We lose 4 - seniors from last year. Plus we lose an NBA lottery pick. Plus a transfer sniper to injury. Plus an injured Rojas inside. Plus an injured Frenchie inside hasn’t materialized.

and despite that we are 10-3. We are slotted as a 4-5 seed. We have 3 wins over top 13 teams.

and “we” want Oats to Coach better? And find instant leadership?

ok

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Keon needs to be challenged to become this season's Herb Jones then turned loose. Once that happens and JD learns to play within himself this team will flourish.
Keon has a different skill set and is smaller. He often has to guard their best guard. Not something Herb had to do often. Especially if their best guard is a 1.

He also may not possess leadership traits. That may have to fall on Q and Shack this year. But neither seem interested in taking on that role.

Reactions: CrimSonami

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Keon has a different skill set and is smaller. He often has to guard their best guard. Not something Herb had to do often. Especially if their best guard is a 1.

He also may not possess leadership traits. That may have to fall on Q and Shack this year. But neither seem interested in taking on that role.
I agree with you on all counts. There aren’t many Herb Jones out there at this level but IMO Keon is as close as we’re gonna get with this roster. Inconsistency among the team veterans is hindering that alpha leadership development so somebody’s gotta take the lead at some point.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Hey everyone!

Most of you are probably aware of last week's postponement of Florida's game with Ole Miss. Hopefully that game will be re-scheduled.

For now, I wanted to post the latest update that Florida is expected play Alabama this coming Wednesday night, as scheduled - 7pm ET on ESPN2.

If anything changes, I'm sure you will already know about it - but I will also post any updates as I hear them.

Thanks - looking forward to our game!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.