Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread - Bama vs. Bama...

BigJTide

3rd Team
Jan 1, 2018
If you kept Watch ESPN on after the game, it was worth it. The 2020 team captains were celebrated, Mac Jones spoke to the crowd, the 2020 Championship flag was raised, Nick Saban spoke and then there was a 2020 highlights reel. Awesome!
Players get their rings yet?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
QB thoughts:

I was pretty confident we wouldn't be disappointed in BY. Kid has a HS track record similar to Tua. I think he'll be another star for us in a string of them at QB.

As for Paul Tyson, he's got a good arm and good understanding of the offense, but his footwork and footspeed aren't anything close to what we observed with Mac Jones. Granted, as a Soph. Jones wasn't that good either, but that's where PT has to improve. He's a pocket passer that needs to get quicker with his feet and progressions and getting rid of the ball when a play breaks down.

I have a feeling that Jalen Milroe is going to be special too. Too bad we didn't get to see him. Herby seemed to indicate he's heard some really exciting things about his abilities.

Sounds like the QB battle is settled for the #1 spot. I figure the real battle will be for the #2 spot in fall camp.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Im trying to figure out why people were so confident that we were going to have a real race between Bryce and Tyson.
Promising videos of him throwing, physical steps in the right direction, and a couple of articles saying how smart he is in regards to learning offenses. He just might not be able to put it all together in a game changing fashion.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Im trying to figure out why people were so confident that we were going to have a real race between Bryce and Tyson.
A sizable portion of any fanbase likes the #2 QB, no matter who it might be. This time last year, a lot of people on this board thought Young would beat out Jones. For some, it was a foregone conclusion, and the fact that there was no spring practice gave them no reason to pump the brakes.

Now, that same mindset held for Tyson challenging Young. Until, of course, they see the two in action, brakes get pumped, and all that hype around the #2 QB gets real quiet.

A lot of college teams would like to have Tyson. Every single college team would like to have Young.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Nothing mind-blowing from his game play last year, so it could lead to speculation..
But he was #2 over a guy who has been there 2 years. I think that was a clear indicator of where the race was from the start between the two. Yes guys improve but rarely does a guy win the starting quarterback job coming out of nowhere. I think Jalen in 2016 might be the only guy I can think of that really did.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Promising videos of him throwing, physical steps in the right direction, and a couple of articles saying how smart he is in regards to learning offenses. He just might not be able to put it all together in a game changing fashion.
Stephen A Smith article pumping up Tyson and saying we had two NFL QB's on our roster. Click opinion articles and QB's throwing against air are never the way to view ones talents or a competition.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I think the only thing that concerns me about Bryce is his size. He reminds me a lot of Tua which is great in a lot of ways but I also have memories of Tua taking a beating in 18 and 19. Now that doesn’t necessarily mean it will happen to Bryce I am just saying you got to be able to take a hit in the sec. (not saying Bryce can’t). But yeah he looked really good today.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree, Young's size could present a problem especially in conference play. He doesn't seem to be as big as Tua at the same stage, maybe in the offseason he can put on some strength and muscle. His height may also present a problem throwing from the pocket. I am sure CNS will find ways to minimize these drawbacks.

• Thank You
Reactions: tideindc and UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree, Young's size could present a problem especially in conference play. He doesn't seem to be as big as Tua at the same stage, maybe in the offseason he can put on some strength and muscle. His height may also present a problem throwing from the pocket. I am sure CNS will find ways to minimize these drawbacks.
I think it's just his frame. I don't think he'll ever be as thick as Tua, particularly in the lower body. One thing I was looking for today was whether he would have the same dangerous infatuation with the hero throw that Tua has had and I didn't see that, although the spring game is not really a test of it...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Stephen A Smith article pumping up Tyson and saying we had two NFL QB's on our roster. Click opinion articles and QB's throwing against air are never the way to view ones talents or a competition.
There’s very little game footage of BY that wows you. The biggest wow factor BY had coming in was an out route thrown in practice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.