Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread - Bama vs. Bama...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Was not really trying to compare him, but I am concerned that he looks so completely reactive on every play. Aside from the RPO plays, he seemed to be looking for open receivers instead of knowing where they would be. I am sitting on my couch and calling out who would be open on plays and BY was not seeing it.
Do you have any eligibility left?

DymaxionDon

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 14, 2019
The announcers said more than once that Bryce reminded them of a "right handed Tua." I liken him more to Kyler Murray than to Tua.

Does anybody agree/disagree?

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree completely, Bryce is much closer in style to Kyler Murray.

Reactions: B1GTide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
BY is the clear leader. Milroe may be the next one. But I would caution us not to write off PT.

His arm and knowledge of the offense is acceptable. It's his footwork and quick thinking under pressure that needs work. I bet two years ago, MJ probably didn't look much different. I'm not saying he'll beat out BY (not by a long shot) but I am saying I think with the right maturation he could be a really good drop back QB in a year or two.
I think this is a good analysis.

I can’t say how I know, but I know: Milroe has a higher ceiling than Tyson. He’s not better than Tyson...yet.

His mechanics need work, and he’ll have to be coached out of habits that worked in HS, but will get him eaten alive in the SEC.

Under Saban and pro-level OCs, I have no doubt he’ll achieve his ceiling. The only question is when.

If, heaven forbid, Young were to go out early in the season, Tyson would in all probability be the best chance to win. Milroe will catch up, but there’s no way to know when.

Put it this way....on a humid night in Oxford Gainesville, in a close game, with the bad guys leading, the stadium rocking, 95% of the fans against us, and Kiffin Cousin Eddie having had 9 months to prepare, suppose Young goes down.

Do you want a highly talented kid who was playing HS ball 12 months ago, or a slightly less talented 3rd year sophomore? Give me Tyson every time. It’s not like he’s a klutz. He’s just not as physically blessed.

Say the same thing happens, but it’s against Auburn. The intervening two months could be huge. Or not. Maybe Milroe would be our best chance then. Maybe not. Tyson will have been improving as well.

There’s a reason Saban doesn’t release a depth chart until just before the first game.

Last edited:

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Didn’t get to watch but based on what I read on the Twittersphere Will Reichard struggled today. Is this true? Hope not. I thought our FG woes were figured out for the time being.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
When comparing Tyson to Milroe for the #2 QB spot a critical factor that I think may give Milroe the edge is that he is more of a dual threat while Tyson is purely a drop back passer. Jones was a drop back passer but he only excelled because he was very accurate and could quickly spot the open man. If Tyson can't learn to do that then he's basically doomed because in a 3rd and long situation he'd have to either throw the ball away or take a sack. In Milroe's case however he can just take off and run if he can't find the open man and maybe still pick up the 1st down.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL

I can’t say how I know, but I know: Milroe has a higher ceiling than Tyson. He’s not better than Tyson...yet.

His mechanics need work, and he’ll have to be coached out of habits that worked in HS, but will get him eaten alive in the SEC.

Under Saban and pro-level OCs, I have no doubt he’ll achieve his ceiling. The only question is when.

If, heaven forbid, Young were to go out early in the season, Tyson would in all probability be the best chance to win. Milroe will catch up, but there’s no way to know when.

Put it this way....on a humid night in Oxford, in a close game, with the bad guys leading, the stadium rocking, 95% of the fans against us, and Kiffin having had 9 months to prepare, suppose Young goes down.

Do you want a highly talented kid who was playing HS ball 12 months ago, or a slightly less talented 3rd year sophomore? Give me Tyson every time. It’s not like he’s a klutz. He’s just not as physically blessed.

Say the same thing happens, but it’s against Auburn. The intervening two months could be huge. Or not. Maybe Milroe would be our best chance then. Maybe not. Tyson will have been improving as well.

There’s a reason Saban doesn’t release a depth chart until just before the first game.
We are playing ole miss in Tuscaloosa this year...not Oxford.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Was not really trying to compare him, but I am concerned that he looks so completely reactive on every play. Aside from the RPO plays, he seemed to be looking for open receivers instead of knowing where they would be. I am sitting on my couch and calling out who would be open on plays and BY was not seeing it.
Most of the time you are correct...but he also had plays where he seemed to know from the start who would be the go to guy...I'm rewatching and yes, he's still a work in progress...but he has undeniable talent and what looks like a good approach. He's just young...and we have 139 days until kickoff. I'm liking what I'm seeing from this team already...

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Under the new C&S regime, I don't think muscle is a real goal for the QBs. At any rate, I don't think his body type will allow it...
Possibly......... I’d imagine their program will make him pretty tough and give him a lot more endurance. They have done much more for the players than I could have imagined........ Bama is fortunate to have them.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

Put it this way....on a humid night in Oxford, in a close game, with the bad guys leading, the stadium rocking, 95% of the fans against us, and Kiffin having had 9 months to prepare, suppose Young goes down.

This is one reason I am glad we play teams like Mercer this year..get more confidence for Bryce, play time for Paul and Jalen. It will help (as long as they aren't just handing the ball off) the QB situation for tougher games ahead in case Bryce gets hurt. I think the key to the season is Bryce staying healthy. Just my opinion. (and also we need a great punter for field position in close games).

Reactions: B1GTide

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
The combo I'm most looking forward to is young to jojo. Young showed very good quickness yesterday and earle on tape is the quickest guy I've seen in years. Imagine bryce turns and fakes to the back, pulls it and shoots a dart to jojo on a slant. It would happen so fast the db or lb would have no chance. Off to the races goes jojo.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This is one reason I am glad we play teams like Mercer this year..get more confidence for Bryce, play time for Paul and Jalen. It will help (as long as they aren't just handing the ball off) the QB situation for tougher games ahead in case Bryce gets hurt. I think the key to the season is Bryce staying healthy. Just my opinion. (and also we need a great punter for field position in close games).
Agree on the usefulness of cupcake games. There are lots of good reasons to play them. Also agree that Young's health will be a huge factor this year.

It is highly unlikely that we'll have a great punter. The best we can realistically hope for is somewhere between "not horrible" and "adequate." It goes down from there. Punting will be an adventure.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.