Bama Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama vs. Miss. State...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
As always, I wait til the day after the game.
Offense- Young was still on pitch count and you could tell that he's little off. Few plays where his throw was short. Gibbs is banged up. I think Mcellen is banged up. We've been seeing WIlliams a lot lately. Milroe looked much better, little more poise, no anxiety.

WR was running their routes, and they were doing good job. It's just Miss State dropped 8 in coverage. Lot of fans don't realize that. OL did good job of buying Young time. It was good to See Harrell in the game. I expect him to be more involved going forward especially with bye week coming up.

Defense- Ricks looked good and He definitely helped us. I think we'll see Arnold in different package. The way we were set up last night, we allowed Miss State to run... the thing is.. they ran little more effective than I would've liked but everything worked out.

Everything that happened to Bama last week, it happened to Miss State. It was ridiculous, but I'll take it.

Bye week will help players and coaches to refocus, adjust and get ready for LSU and Ole Miss.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
The question for us is which LSU team will we get in two weeks?. “The gang that couldn’t shoot straight” like against Auburn, FSU and Tennessee or the guys that showed up and looked like SEC West contenders versus Florida, Mississippi State and Ole Miss?

At the beginning of the year, I felt LSU was the big unknown. We know Orge & his motley crew had recruited well. Talent was probably there but depth, discipline and overall toxic attitudes were the big “ifs”. This was a team with the greatest distance between ceiling and basement. And so far they have played just about that way.

One thing is certain: BOB better figure out how to get production in the run game or Bryce could be running for his life back there..They have the edge guys to do that.
LSU is getting much improved QB play from earlier in the year and will be a much more dangerous opponent at this point in the season.
I’ve tried to be as positive as I can up to this point but ——We simply are not a top 5 team. I’ll leave assigning the blame for that to others, but there is plenty of it to go around. For one thing, this team lacks CHEMISTRY, from the Oline on down. Congrats to the defense for a much improved performance, but our O was completely awol in the second half. We have no consistency in the run game, and Bryce dances in the pocket and holds onto the ball way too long a lot of the time. I’d like to think we can get better but being 8 games in I don’t think we are going to see any massive transformation at this point. The character of this team and season will likely be clearly defined two weeks from tonight.
I have attempted to adjust my perspective a bit believing that MSU was a pretty good team on both sides of the ball. If they can cover Bama receivers as well as they did last night we are going to see a lot more of that the rest of the season.

I cannot see any offensive identity from this team and am attempting to accept the fact that it hasn't looked like a playoff team.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I was at the game last night. Did anyone notice the MSU player that was on the field playing in an all maroon uniform? I have never seen anyone play in home uniform on a away game. I was wondering if there was an explanation for it on TV.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The question for us is which LSU team will we get in two weeks?. “The gang that couldn’t shoot straight” like against Auburn, FSU and Tennessee or the guys that showed up and looked like SEC West contenders versus Florida, Mississippi State and Ole Miss?

At the beginning of the year, I felt LSU was the big unknown. We know Orge & his motley crew had recruited well. Talent was probably there but depth, discipline and overall toxic attitudes were the big “ifs”. This was a team with the greatest distance between ceiling and basement. And so far they have played just about that way.

One thing is certain: BOB better figure out how to get production in the run game or Bryce could be running for his life back there..They have the edge guys to do that.
Our Running game wasn't been the issue.. but more rather of execution. We saw few new concepts last night in the game that caught me off guard and I liked it.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
The thing that worried me the most in last night's game was the running game or lack thereof. Officially, Bama ran for 29 yards on 27 carries for 1.1 yards per carry. That's a bit misleading, though, since it counts yards lost to sacks and an 11-yard loss on a bad snap. If we take away the sacks and the bad snap and only focus on called running plays, we get a much better understanding of how the running game actually performed, and it still wasn't good. The offense had 53 rushing yards on 22 called runs for a 2.4-yard-per-carry average. There were only two runs that gained more than 10 yards and a 19-yard run by Gibbs was the longest run of the day. The offense had four carries of 5 or more yards and 6 carries that lost yards. Gibbs and carries of 19, 12, and 7 yards, and McClellan had a 5-yard carry. This means that 27% of Bama's runs lost yards and 82% of Bama's runs were for less than 5 yards. This is troubling.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
The way it sounded post game is that Bryce didn’t throw at all during the week leading up to this game. Could explain why he was off in the second half drives (arm fatigue/soreness?).

I’ll need to go back and watch again, but I don’t recall many timing patterns or the 5-7 yard outs he normally throws. Maybe a concern on “timing” since he had thrown during the week.

We need to get those banged up DL folks back and Seth back at center. We need them going into LSU.
I thought around early 4th quarter, Bryce's arm must have either tightened up or was sore. He missed a couple of shorter passes in a row that he never misses. Both of them ended up at the receiver's feet. Give his arm a full week off.

Reactions: SkullDuckery

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
They don't even have to steal signs like clempson does.

1st down - run (unless there is 30 seconds left in a tie game in FG range then you throw it of course.)
2nd down - throw it deep or try to have Bryce make a play
3rd down - try to have Bryce make a play (no running)
I think this will be huge going down the stretch. While we’ve been careful with Bryce in terms of using him in RPO keepers and picking up yards with his feet the last two years, defenses the rest of the year will not respect any run threat by him because we can’t risk him re-injuring that shoulder.
There were times I thought he could have picked up significant yards last night by taking off, but he simply paralleled the LOS to buy time or throw it away. I’m sure that was his “marching orders” and will be for the rest of the year. In essence, any QB keeper/run is off the table. And it is one less thing defenses need to account for.
IMO It is a big reason BOB needs to go to his “Thinking Chair with his Handy Dandy Blue’s Clues Notebook” to press these defenses on the edges and perimeter in the run game.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The thing that worried me the most in last night's game was the running game or lack thereof. Officially, Bama ran for 29 yards on 27 carries for 1.1 yards per carry. That's a bit misleading, though, since it counts yards lost to sacks and an 11-yard loss on a bad snap. If we take away the sacks and the bad snap and only focus on called running plays, we get a much better understanding of how the running game actually performed, and it still wasn't good. The offense had 53 rushing yards on 22 called runs for a 2.4-yard-per-carry average. There were only two runs that gained more than 10 yards and a 19-yard run by Gibbs was the longest run of the day. The offense had four carries of 5 or more yards and 6 carries that lost yards. Gibbs and carries of 19, 12, and 7 yards, and McClellan had a 5-yard carry. This means that 27% of Bama's runs lost yards and 82% of Bama's runs were for less than 5 yards. This is troubling.
And IIRC, the longest runs by Gibbs were off tackle, correct?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't know how you came up with that... if you choose to look at it like that... That's on you, but That's one game. ONE GAME. We run ball better with Seth. We pass protection better with Dalcourt. It's a tradeoff. I wouldn't stress that just yet.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I thought around early 4th quarter, Bryce's arm must have either tightened up or was sore. He missed a couple of shorter passes in a row that he never misses. Both of them ended up at the receiver's feet. Give his arm a full week off.
At least 5 or 6 of his throws were intentional throw aways, but you're right on those.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I was at the game last night. Did anyone notice the MSU player that was on the field playing in an all maroon uniform? I have never seen anyone play in home uniform on a away game. I was wondering if there was an explanation for it on TV.
I tuned into the game late. Did you happen to catch a number? I’m wondering if it was a symbolic honor in memory of the State player that passed away earlier this week? Sam Westmoreland - his number was 76.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.