Bama Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama vs. The Hogs...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I may have heard it wrong, but I could have sworn I heard Danielson say that. But, again, I may have misheard him.
I heard the Jalen hurts comparisons all day but Danielson was more annoying and more obnoxious than his normal self yesterday to really pay much attention. But if O’Brien said it then we need an immediate change at OC

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
I think we are all concerned about Bryce maybe not available for awhile, but to say Kiffin and Sark would be world beaters yesterday with Milroe I disagree, they are to me the best play callers in football but you just can't insert square peg in a round hole and expect immediate results when back ups usually get 20 % of snap's, if Milroe starts this week I think we'll see a better game plan

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I may have heard it wrong, but I could have sworn I heard Danielson say that. But, again, I may have misheard him.
All that I recall that Gary said is that Milroe had difficulty making throws to the outside. It seemed innocent enough to me at the time. If BOB told Gary that I am sure that Milroe is well aware that is an area he must improve on.

Reactions: Superdad

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well that sounded like something you’d get from the coaches meetings in the week leading to the game that is privileged and that you aren’t supposed to say on air.

Anyway on Milroe and the comparisons to Hurts… Milroe is a better runner. And that’s almost in every way except power. Jalen’s got him there. But Milroe is blazing fast. Throwing ability? I don’t think we’ve seen enough to know. But Hurts struggled in the passing game against competent defenses until the 2018 SEC championship.

I still believe Alabama’s defense is elite. We need more mental toughness though. And it did indeed show up in the 4th quarter yesterday. We just need to keep developing it.

We’ve got four elite RBs. Maybe 5. Use them. I think Seth needs to start at C but people are saying Dalcourt had really been improving. Either way the OL must build on what it’s done the past two weeks. And then the passing game just needs to be tweaked down. RPOs. Quick hitting throws. Slants. If you’ll block them, wr screens. Bond hit a big gain on one yesterday.

And one more thing. Someone mentioned Blake Sims and Lane Kiffin. The thing about Blake Sims is he had a really good deep ball. Towards the midpoint of the season on, his deep ball was on par with Tua’s and Mac’s.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
First off, I have to really appreciate that the team took care of business when Young first went out. It would have been easy to be kind of reeling after that but then everyone did their job and extended the lead.

Then Alabama entered a period of some of the worst Alabama football I have seen in a while. You have a 28 point lead with just over one half of football left, you've dominated in all facets really, and your starting QB is out and you know you can't let up... and then you go through a period where you are outscored 23-0? It was both scary and disappointing. I don't think anyone gets a pass there either, because basically if offense, or defense, or special teams really just kept things up the game is never in doubt.

Having said all that, assuming Young does return this year and in the relatively near future there can be a silver lining to all of this. Alabama does really need to establish a more proficient running game (a lot of their rushing yards have come late in games). This might happen now out of necessity, which could be a good thing.

It's much easier for a physical running team to add finesse elements than the other way around. We saw what happened when Tua came in for Hurts, it was the top rushing Nick Saban team but they passing game still worked. We saw it later in the year when Coker was the starter, a dominant rushing offense built around Henry, yet they were able to unleash the passing game late in the season. So, if they can get this running game going they'll be better for it...

Finally, Kool-Aid isn't just the leading punt returner in the nation, he's ahead by 80 yards... He has 3 times as many punt return years as the #14 guy.
To be fair, Arkansas basically stole 2 possessions in the 3rd Quarter. They scored right before the half running 2min offense. Both teams punted to start the second half, then they scored first in the second half, then they got the onside kick and scored again, then we gifted them the ball at our 10 with a bad punt snap that they turned into another TD.

bamaclimber

3rd Team
Nov 28, 2016
Danielson announced to the world that Bill O'Brien told him in the coach's meeting that Milroe "cannot throw to the outside", and throwing over the middle is harder.
Saying that to a reporter (or really anyone outside the Alabama coaching staff) would be one of the worse examples of leadership I've seen from an Alabama coach in a long time. It would be stupid on so many levels. Did Danielson say that during the broadcast? If so, I missed it.

Reactions: B1GTide

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
the 3-4-4 hasn't really been our base defense in years. It's still in the toolkit and we still release a depth chart with the positions listed, but it is very, very rarely used (like less than 5% over the last 5 years). The 3-3-5 (with a JLB and 2ILB) was the base look with the 2-4-5 as a sub package on pure passing downs pre-2021. In 2020 we started seeing about an even split with the 2-4-5 (2OLB and 2ILB) and then in 2021 and into this year, we've run the 2-4-5 a vast majority of the time. Both groupings can look like either a 4-2 or a 3-3 front as we line up, so just the groupings are different. I don't think we used the 3-3-5 in the traditional sense at all last night - at least not in the second half because I was loudly begging Golding through my TV to move to that grouping to get more mass into the game and slow down the running game. As you said - it's crazy NOT to against a running team like that. I think we didn't because we were thin on the DL with guys banged up and we didn't have what we wanted from an edge DL who would have been Young (played hurt) or Eboigbe (out for game).

Our 'cheetah' package is very interesting where we really only have 1 true DL in the game and 4LBs. Sometimes it's 3OLBs and one ILB, but last night we also ran it a lot with 2OLBs and 2ILBs with Moody and Lawson taking on the rush role that an OLB had typically had.
Good write up, I know we don’t use it, but we still use 3-4 principles and gap control. Most of the time. Heck, Nick/Jeremy(?) started experimenting years ago . they used an even front , 4 d linemen with Ragland in the middle and Minkha close to the line in a sort of 4-2-5 alignment.
Will lined up as a DE some last year as well, but all those alignments don’t work against a power run game. They all have their place, but sometimes I think Pete outsmarts himself. That’s my point, teams will simply return to a power run game to gash these hybrid defenses with lighter faster players on the field. You can bring in all the smaller quick guys you want, offensive linemen are still 300-330lbs and can mash you.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Saying that to a reporter (or really anyone outside the Alabama coaching staff) would be one of the worse examples of leadership I've seen from an Alabama coach in a long time. It would be stupid on so many levels. Did Danielson say that during the broadcast? If so, I missed it.
I hope I heard him wrong but I could have sworn I heard Danielson say he was talking with BOB and asked him if he had to give a scouting report on Milroe what would be on it, and he said "He can't throw outside". Maybe someone will watch the replay and catch it.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I hope I heard him wrong but I could have sworn I heard Danielson say he was talking with BOB and asked him if he had to give a scouting report on Milroe what would be on it, and he said "He can't throw outside". Maybe someone will watch the replay and catch it.
He absolutely said it. I heard it too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.