Bama Game Thread: Official Postgame Thread - Bama vs. UCLA...

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
So you should be punished for not making free throws by having bad calls go against you?

No one is saying there is a conspiracy -- but there was some horrible officiating.

Your opinion of ridiculous may also be different than some -- but in this case, your definition is VERY different from mine.
The officiating has been pretty consistently horrible for decades now.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
CC, I absolutely agree. Primo, in time, will be better than JP as an all-around offensive threat because he is already a better ball handler.

But I do believe having four very good guards presents a challenge -- and not just to the opponents. If Primo improves, that will be four backcourt players accustomed to getting lots of shots and minutes. Given that team dynamics change every season, can we safely assume the integration of egos will be as seamless as it was this time around?

Last edited:
Reactions: seebell

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Pivoting back to the game and one thing that I think could have possibly made a difference is we didn't get Shack as involved as he normally is.

His 3 point shot was not there (like everybody else) but he's really good off the dribble drive to the hoop and drawing fouls and I believe he was our best FT shooter % wise.

I wonder if he would have had more touches late if things would have been different? I know he's still got to hit the FTs, but who would you rather have on the line, JS or HJ?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
CC, I absolutely agree. Primo, in time, will be better than JP as an all-around offensive threat because he is already a better ball handler.

But I do believe having four very good guards presents a challenge -- and not just to the opponents. If Primo improves, that will be four backcourt players accustomed to getting a lot of shots. Given that team dynamics change every season, can we safely assume the integration of egos will be as seamless as it was this time around?
As I understand CNO's philosophy, anyone open can shoot. It's sort of the diametric opposite of Grant's, where only designated shooters had the green light. As long as that is true, I think it would naturally damp down any envy factor. Where the friction would develop, IMO, would be over PT, as deep as our bench is about to become. As has been mentioned above, Primo would have a legitimate gripe in this tournament. There were a lot of reasons Petty was playing but, at times, we would have been better off increasing Primo's PT. With Oats' recruiting, and some sort of free agency obviously coming to college sports, attrition through transfer is bound to become a problem sooner or later...

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
We got beat - some calls go your way and some don't. There was no conspiracy for UCLA to win the game. The harping on the officials on this thread is ridiculous. Nobody says a word about the officiating if we hit our FT's. Some of you just can't admit that UCLA played better and hit more shots - free throws.
I had a long well longer response written lol but erased it, yes you can thank me later moderators and editors as I can get wordy and have admitted that in the past. I stayed quiet for a long time, over a decade, and lurked but like as a child when I began to speak it has become hard to stop lol.

I have stated numerous times in the past that part of the lure to this board is the sense of fair play, enthusiasm, and general knowledge of its well most of its members lol. Bullying and general nonsense is not tolerated and their are different forums for different topics and everything is run very well in my opinion. People on this board for the most tend to respect other people’s opinions, well I do, or they are addressed and handled and usually done via self police style with moderator help when needed.

With that being said I am not attacking you in any way but I would like to hear your logic with facts as to why you feel that those of us who think that the officiating was horrible and had a direct impact on the game, even given our poor shooting from the ft line and three pointers.

In my opinion the game is comprised of multiple facets and areas not just free throw shooting. I looked at the stats in great detail and while we certainly did not help ourselves we were not dominated or outplayed and in fact still played well enough despite all of our mistakes to be up 1 point with 15 seconds to go in the game. When you make mistakes you make it harder to win. When you combine that with some of the other facets, if some of those facets go against you too, then winning is even harder, not impossible but can be substantially harder. There are several key pivotal momentum type plays calls in the game that I have stated previously that, in my opinion, were missed or miscalled by the refs. I never said why they made what I perceived to be errors just that I thought they were errors. I guess if I wanted some sympathy empathy I would post about poor officiating on the women’s baylor basketball boards.

I want to hear your fact based take not just we, those on the board who feel the officiating in the game was deplorable and that officiating can and did partially determine the outcome or have a substantial impact of the result of a that sporting contest, and simply cannot admit that we were outplayed and I am ridiculous for calling the refs out.

I have always said to family, friends, employees etc and tried to follow myself, the idea or principle to handle or reach your task, job, goal etc. focus on and do what you can control in order to obtain the best desired result you can. Primarily the rest is out of your hands ie. control and if you do not do your job task efficiently you allow the other aspects that you do not control to possibly have more of an impact on the outcome you desire. Sometimes the results can be favorable or good and sometimes it is bad but I feel it is better to help yourself and do as much as possible efficiently and effectively in order to increase the odds in your favor of obtaining your desired outcome.

I eagerly await your response.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I had a long well longer response written lol but erased it, yes you can thank me later moderators and editors as I can get wordy and have admitted that in the past. I stayed quiet for a long time, over a decade, and lurked but like as a child when I began to speak it has become hard to stop lol.

I have stated numerous times in the past that part of the lure to this board is the sense of fair play, enthusiasm, and general knowledge of its well most of its members lol. Bullying and general nonsense is not tolerated and their are different forums for different topics and everything is run very well in my opinion. People on this board for the most tend to respect other people’s opinions, well I do, or they are addressed and handled and usually done via self police style with moderator help when needed.

With that being said I am not attacking you in any way but I would like to hear your logic with facts as to why you feel that those of us who think that the officiating was horrible and had a direct impact on the game, even given our poor shooting from the ft line and three pointers.

In my opinion the game is comprised of multiple facets and areas not just free throw shooting. I looked at the stats in great detail and while we certainly did not help ourselves we were not dominated or outplayed and in fact still played well enough despite all of our mistakes to be up 1 point with 15 seconds to go in the game. When you make mistakes you make it harder to win. When you combine that with some of the other facets, if some of those facets go against you too, then winning is even harder, not impossible but can be substantially harder. There are several key pivotal momentum type plays calls in the game that I have stated previously that, in my opinion, were missed or miscalled by the refs. I never said why they made what I perceived to be errors just that I thought they were errors. I guess if I wanted some sympathy empathy I would post about poor officiating on the women’s baylor basketball boards.

I want to hear your fact based take not just we, those on the board who feel the officiating in the game was deplorable and that officiating can and did partially determine the outcome or have a substantial impact of the result of a that sporting contest, and simply cannot admit that we were outplayed and I am ridiculous for calling the refs out.

I have always said to family, friends, employees etc and tried to follow myself, the idea or principle to handle or reach your task, job, goal etc. focus on and do what you can control in order to obtain the best desired result you can. Primarily the rest is out of your hands ie. control and if you do not do your job task efficiently you allow the other aspects that you do not control to possibly have more of an impact on the outcome you desire. Sometimes the results can be favorable or good and sometimes it is bad but I feel it is better to help yourself and do as much as possible efficiently and effectively in order to increase the odds in your favor of obtaining your desired outcome.

This was the shorter response? :D

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.

-

The last paragraph of your response is basically why I believe that blaming the officials is so overdone - because Bama did not play to the best of their ability and did not take advantage of the opportunities that they had or was given in this game (7-28 on three's, 11-25 on FT's, 14 turnovers - many of the turnovers were just careless like dribbling the ball off another players foot). I am sure UCLA fans, coaches, and players can all look back and question some calls that didn't go their way also.

During regulation time, Bama shot 23 free throws to just 12 for UCLA. You could make an argument from the UCLA standpoint that the refs were favoring Bama by that stat.

Per Nate Oats: “We weren't good enough to beat them tonight. They were better,” Crimson Tide coach Nate Oats said. “We had all the momentum going into overtime. They could have folded. They didn't. They came out and punched us in the mouth.”

“There's zero variables in free throws other than the pressure you put on yourself mentally,” Oats said. “I don't know if early misses by some guys made other guys miss. It's disappointing. We make them, we win the game.”

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
-

The last paragraph of your response is basically why I believe that blaming the officials is so overdone - because Bama did not play to the best of their ability and did not take advantage of the opportunities that they had or was given in this game (7-28 on three's, 11-25 on FT's, 14 turnovers - many of the turnovers were just careless like dribbling the ball off another players foot). I am sure UCLA fans, coaches, and players can all look back and question some calls that didn't go their way also.

During regulation time, Bama shot 23 free throws to just 12 for UCLA. You could make an argument from the UCLA standpoint that the refs were favoring Bama by that stat.

Per Nate Oats: “We weren't good enough to beat them tonight. They were better,” Crimson Tide coach Nate Oats said. “We had all the momentum going into overtime. They could have folded. They didn't. They came out and punched us in the mouth.”

“There's zero variables in free throws other than the pressure you put on yourself mentally,” Oats said. “I don't know if early misses by some guys made other guys miss. It's disappointing. We make them, we win the game.”
I hope this loss renders the same results that the 2008 SECCG did.

I was so caught up in transitioning right into OT, that I did forget about that charge that wasn't called. That's the one call that I'll sort of amend my previous officiating comments on.

Reactions: BAMAVILLE

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
No one is saying there is a conspiracy
Baka Shoals did.

I would like to hear an explanation on the time being put back on the clock after Reese's shot. The replay showed 0.2 seconds when the ball made it through the bottom of the net. And they put 0.4 on the clock, enough for a shot! That's when I started saying maybe there is a conspiracy here. That was weird!

Rolltidegirl205

All-SEC
Sep 20, 2014
Is it possible to repeat this type of season. SEC regular season & champions? Ideal round matchups?

Think the stars could align like that again?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Is it possible to repeat this type of season. SEC regular season & champions? Ideal round matchups?

Think the stars could align like that again?
They’ll have to. That’s what the tournament is. A total crapshoot. But, that being said, we could be a lot better than we were this year. Improvement is possible. We are nowhere near the ceiling of our potential as a program, despite the successes of this season. A better team would have beaten UCLA like a drum. We are not yet to the point of consistently imposing our will upon our opponents.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.