BREAKING Officially Official: UTX & OU announce plan to leave Big12 & join SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I agree with Dabo on going to 11 games for that reason. 9 conference games. 3 reg season off weeks. That’s still a big ask though. If we’re going to super conferences then the scholarship numbers should go up too IMO
Hey their getting paid aren’t they? The next thing is a players union.

Reactions: Toddrn

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
From an SEC Rant post by poster JeffDawg.

Schools with the most regular-season TV viewers since 2016 to the present.

1. Alabama – 318,632,000
2. Ohio State – 297,313,000
3. Notre Dame – 226,073,000
4. Michigan – 222,974,000
5. Georgia – 204,400,000
6. LSU – 197,994,000
7. Oklahoma – 193,083,000
8. Clemson – 186,107,000
9. Auburn – 182,759,000
10. Florida – 179,438,000
11. Wisconsin – 165,443,000
12. Penn State – 158,699,000
13. Texas – 147,263,000
14. Texas A&M – 130,308,000

Just another evidence of the behemoth that the SEC is. Note that OU and UTx attracted these viewers on FOX, often at unattractive times and often vs SEC games, thus their viewership will surely increase significantly in the SEC. Also, many of the viewers of LSU and AU were those tuning in to watch Alabama - yes, the converse is true but to a much lesser extent. Bama is 7% clear of #2 and 41% clear of #3 ND and 56% clear of the SEC #2.

The SEC has 6 of the top 10 and 8 of the top 14.

Surprised that Mich still attracts the eyes they do. Kudos to them.

If they added the post season what would the numbers be? Whew.

Another reminder that the goal of media providers is not primarily geography but "interested" inhabitants, i.e., eyeballs. Especially Alabama, but also the SEC and OU and UTx have many. The Big10 is a clear #2, way above whoever is #3, but now way behind the SEC and falling further. OSU, who is a strong 2nd to Bama in most categories, and has a lot of help from Mich in viewership, has almost no on-field performance help. The Big10 is becoming more and more a one team league, with almost no hope for the other programs.

C2Ag93

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 25, 2021
Aggie here... hope to add some perspective, but in reading the board, it seems in general we share the same reservations already.

I haven't talked to an Aggie yet that is happy about this. Most I've circled up with had similar initial reactions as me. First gut reaction is "Hell no". Then when the reality sets in that conference realignment has been anticipated for a while and seemingly inevitable, it makes some sense.

So on some level, the idea it may be entertaining to re-kindle the rivalry rambles around in our brain. But Longhorns ("tea sips" to us) will tell you we ended the rivalry and didn't want to play them after we left the Big 12. Complete the opposite if you follow the public press statements of the schools - we stated we would be open to finding a way to keep it going, they backed off. We're happy just not playing it, now. And this is even my opinion, a '93 Texas A&M graduate, former member of the Corps of Cadets and a romantic at heart. I have ticket stubs my grandmother kept from the Texas A&M vs Texas rivalry game in 1929 (Aggies won), and cried at the 1999 Bonfire Game; I still think fondly when the Longhorn Band dipped their flags and raised A&M flags at the end of their routine, after playing Amazing Grace. That was the only moment ever I have to commend them.

Then the arrogant antics all the other years and lack of straight dealing in conference matters comes back to mind.

As you may be aware, our relationship with them deteriorated slowly over decades. There was a time Texas A&M simply couldn't compete with them. We were an all-male military college until 1965. We were fully co-ed by 1975. We had some lore, like Bear and the Junction Boys, but thinking we could compete with them prior to that is like saying West Point or Annapolis should be able to compete with Michigan or Ohio State. In the years from 1975 to the end of the rivalry in 2011, our record head to head was even. Yet they lived in the past when it came to dealing with us on conference matters.

Texas killed the SWC. To be fair, the SWC was dying as modern football advanced and the value of media contracts became more known. Arkansas left it for the SEC, no doubt partly because of how Texas tried to run the conference. But, to be fair, the SWC was doomed as it was (after Arkansas's departure) --- a Texas-only conference with schools like SMU, Rice, UH, and TCU. Texas A&M dominated it in its final years, with a 14 - 6 record vs Texas in the final 20 years, and 10-1 in the final 11 years (with the 1 being a 1 point upset against us in Austin). This was unbearable for Texas. Rather than working in the conference, or with Texas A&M for that matter, they instigated a move to the PAC 10 in the early 1990s and simply assumed they would "carry us there." Texas A&M had actually already been interested in joining the SEC since the late 1980s. While there were structural problems to the SWC that weren't UT's fault, their arrogance in dealing with conference mates was showing, nor had they recognized "little brother" grew up decades prior. Their attitude then was the death nail. Texas A&M would have been happy joining the SEC in 1995, but political powers in the state kept A&M and UT together in forming the Big 12.

Most are in tune with the more recent history of the Big 12. Of course, the Aggies and Missouri left it to join the SEC in 2012 (and I couldn't be happier about it almost a decade after). But let's not forget a couple years before we left, Nebraska and Colorado also left, no doubt they had had enough of UT, its propensity to want to run a conference, dealings merely for itself without working inside the culture of the conference (e.g. Longhorn Network), etc. The "original Big 12" was victim #2 in their conference killing career.

Now we sit here today. We knew the "current Big 12" was on life support. Victim #3. Texas still hasn't recognized the world around them is not the same as it was decades ago. Texas A&M's reasons for joining the SEC have all come true: a) better cultural fit, b) desire to be fair dealing in conference matters, c) more money (Forbes most valuable program in recent articles), and d) recruiting.

Bringing me to full circle... I don't yet trust that the Longhorns have changed.

I don't believe they are a cultural fit. It is well-documented they would rather go west to the Pac 12 "because they are more aligned with our academic standards". Texas and Texas A&M are vastly different culturally (liberal school vs conservative, respectively).

I don't believe they have changed their views on dealing in conference matters. I hope the SEC can prove me wrong and will actually keep them in check. I hope they forfeit their LHN contract buyout to the SEC. I hope the SEC does allow the "horns down" so long as it's not done like any other gesture that can reasonably determined to be taunting. Please SEC, prove me wrong.

On the point about more money, they are obviously motivated by it, as of course we all are. I personally don't care if they make more in the SEC than other options, so long as the SEC's formula of equality on this matter isn't compromised. Three conferences have died proving the SEC's model works.

As for recruiting, I don't buy our own AD's and many of our fans' narrative that it hurts our recruiting. Jimbo has been recruiting nationally, and the SEC has been recruiting away from Texas for years, more so since the Aggies joined the league. Not sure how UT joining really shakes that apple cart. Our recruiting improved when we joined the SEC mainly because we were out of the Big 12 and it was appealing to a recruit they would play in the SEC, which had nothing specifically to do with UT. Of course, it's easier on us to keep them locked out, but not necessarily a battle we can't win against them.

Anyway, what seems "inevitable conference realignments" aside, not a fan of UT and OU joining. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
From an SEC Rant post by poster JeffDawg.

Schools with the most regular-season TV viewers since 2016 to the present.

1. Alabama – 318,632,000
2. Ohio State – 297,313,000
3. Notre Dame – 226,073,000
4. Michigan – 222,974,000
5. Georgia – 204,400,000
6. LSU – 197,994,000
7. Oklahoma – 193,083,000
8. Clemson – 186,107,000
9. Auburn – 182,759,000
10. Florida – 179,438,000
11. Wisconsin – 165,443,000
12. Penn State – 158,699,000
13. Texas – 147,263,000
14. Texas A&M – 130,308,000

Just another evidence of the behemoth that the SEC is. Note that OU and UTx attracted these viewers on FOX, often at unattractive times and often vs SEC games, thus their viewership will surely increase significantly in the SEC. Also, many of the viewers of LSU and AU were those tuning in to watch Alabama - yes, the converse is true but to a much lesser extent. Bama is 7% clear of #2 and 41% clear of #3 ND and 56% clear of the SEC #2.

The SEC has 6 of the top 10 and 8 of the top 14.

Surprised that Mich still attracts the eyes they do. Kudos to them.

If they added the post season what would the numbers be? Whew.

Another reminder that the goal of media providers is not primarily geography but "interested" inhabitants, i.e., eyeballs. Especially Alabama, but also the SEC and OU and UTx have many. The Big10 is a clear #2, way above whoever is #3, but now way behind the SEC and falling further. OSU, who is a strong 2nd to Bama in most categories, and has a lot of help from Mich in viewership, has almost no on-field performance help. The Big10 is becoming more and more a one team league, with almost no hope for the other programs.
Not a single PAC 12 team on that list.

Only one ACC team.

Everyone can do the math on that.

GigEm12

Jul 27, 2021
I agree with many of y’all as well and C2Ag93.
They do not fit the cultural aspect of the SEC. their arrogance has already been announced with the below comment on the Finebaum show below.

Will from Austin...

"I'm here in Austin. We get a lot of transplants. They're reaching out and saying things like this isn't going to be Texas running the show. Texas is just going to be one, one of many. They won't be the alpha dog. And I still think Texas is going to have, maybe don't get multiple seats at the table, but I still think they sit at the head of the table in the SEC. I think the SEC runs through Austin now. And we'll see if there's now an SEC championship game in Dallas. This is a program that just won the Athletic Director's Cup, first program not named Stanford to win it in more than a decade, this is a program that runs things... "

Paul : "Hey Will, thank you very much.. I'm going to let that one marinate for a minute. The SEC now runs through Austin, Texas. Hey, thank you the call and your humility.... and that's what we have to look forward to here on the SEC network for the next 50 to 100 years."

- Aside from that unless we renegotiate the Mickey Mouse contract with the sec I just do not see the money split being with it. Not a fan at all with it but hopefully that arrogance does not transition over as it has in the past 3 conferences they ruined. Money aside the SEC is extremely profitable and does not need them. Same it has come to this in college sports. NFL minors here we come.

I will be buying a bama shirt for when that game is played.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
If the sips legally consent to having their '65 Orange Bowl "victory" overturned and admit that Joe Willie scored instead of falling victim to the greatest screwing 'Bama ever got, I'm all for considering their application - in another 56 years.
Oh, and don't forget Alan Lowery stepping out of bounds at the ~30 in '72 :) - his whole foot was out of bounds. (We know an ultra liberal program like UTx, who is better than others, who wants to rectify the wrongs of the past, will agree.) Now that instant replays can shine the light on such gross miscarriages of justice, we can honestly say that Bama's record is 3-5-1 not 1-7-1, still a shame vs an inferior program.

It's simply an outrage for the greatest program in college football history to have such a record vs one of their inferiors, even though UTx is a fine program - at least top 20 all time. Now that I think about it the first 3 games were 100 years or more ago (1905, 15, 22) so I don't think we should count them, so Bama is really 3-2-1 vs UTx. That sounds better.

Bama is 1-0 in the last 40 years, including the only game that has really mattered in the entire series, you know, when Colt got hurt. So after a full investigation and a just reckoning of the facts we see that in reality Bama is undefeated vs Texas.

Btw, Vandy will welcome UTx into the conference as the only SEC program against whom they will have a winning record: 8-3-1. Like UTx vs Bama, a sporadic series beginning ~120 years ago can distort the true stature of the programs.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Ok to the A&M fans, we get it.

Here’s the thing that maybe was hard to understand when you were in the middle of that situation with Texas. Texas didn’t break up anything. Texas did was it was allowed to do by the other members.

Nebraska was no less arrogant and controlling than Texas was. It’s just that the majority of what made up the Big 12 sided with Texas more often.

And A&M is just as responsible for some of the failure of the Big 12, because did they not also vote against the formation of a conference tv network as did Texas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma?

Look, again, we get it. But Texas isn’t coming into the SEC with more than one seat at the table anymore than Nebraska did to the Big Ten. And finally, now that this is done, and there’s no changing it, just compete. You’ve got nearly a ten year head start on getting acclimated to the SEC. Just beat the hell out of them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ok to the A&M fans, we get it.

Here’s the thing that maybe was hard to understand when you were in the middle of that situation with Texas. Texas didn’t break up anything. Texas did was it was allowed to do by the other members.

Nebraska was no less arrogant and controlling than Texas was. It’s just that the majority of what made up the Big 12 sided with Texas more often.

And A&M is just as responsible for some of the failure of the Big 12, because did they not also vote against the formation of a conference tv network as did Texas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma?

Look, again, we get it. But Texas isn’t coming into the SEC with more than one seat at the table anymore than Nebraska did to the Big Ten. And finally, now that this is done, and there’s no changing it, just compete. You’ve got nearly a ten year head start on getting acclimated to the SEC. Just beat the hell out of them.
Aside from the LHN… Texas has acted in a more rational way than people give them credit for. My concerns are if they understand that the SEC is a round table and not a rectangle one like the Big XII.

Reactions: Redwood Forrest

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Aside from the LHN… Texas has acted in a more rational way than people give them credit for. My concerns are if they understand that the SEC is a round table and not a rectangle one like the Big XII.
They will understand.

Even the Longhorn Network, though... they were allowed. That wasn't something they railroaded everyone with. They operated within the parameters set by the conference.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
As long as baseball stays in Hoover then I don’t care if football is a rotating site.
The basketball tournament rotates all over the place and we don't care. Atlanta has been special for the football championship, but let us not forget it started in Birmingham. And on that note, I just have to chuckle. We've always been accused of running the SEC, and we all know that's a load of bunk.

Anyway, the SEC is going to maximize this to the hilt. And if that includes rotating the football championship game between Dallas and Atlanta, so be it. Frankly I'm mildly surprised New Orleans has never gotten in on the act, but it seems we all were happy with Atlanta.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The basketball tournament rotates all over the place and we don't care. Atlanta has been special for the football championship, but let us not forget it started in Birmingham. And on that note, I just have to chuckle. We've always been accused of running the SEC, and we all know that's a load of bunk.

Anyway, the SEC is going to maximize this to the hilt. And if that includes rotating the football championship game between Dallas and Atlanta, so be it. Frankly I'm mildly surprised New Orleans has never gotten in on the act, but it seems we all were happy with Atlanta.
I could be wrong, @selmaborntidefan would probably know, but I think the Georgia Dome was chosen for the site mainly because of the newness of it. Had the SEC had a championship in the late 70’s the New Orleans probably would have it. Atlanta has just been a great partner and the SEC hasn’t seen a reason to change it.

As far as Hoover… There really isn’t a place that offers the same benefits. RV parking, massive tailgating opportunities, easy traffic situation, nice area, great ball park, and multiple major high school baseball fields within a 5-10 mile radius.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I could be wrong, @selmaborntidefan would probably know, but I think the Georgia Dome was chosen for the site mainly because of the newness of it. Had the SEC had a championship in the late 70’s the New Orleans probably would have it. Atlanta has just been a great partner and the SEC hasn’t seen a reason to change it.

As far as Hoover… There really isn’t a place that offers the same benefits. RV parking, massive tailgating opportunities, easy traffic situation, nice area, great ball park, and multiple major high school baseball fields within a 5-10 mile radius.
I get what you are saying about Hoover and baseball. But yes, you are correct, Atlanta was chosen because the Georgia Dome was brand new, and a world class facility at that time in 1994. It also got the Super Bowl in 1993.

Actually Birmingham got the game originally by putting on a full court marketing press to the committee in charge of making the call. And if I recall correctly (and my memory comes from reading an SI article about it) the presentations from the other potential sites were sorely lacking. Birmingham was the only one who really want all out to sell themselves.

But then the games were played and Legion Field's shortcomings came to bear (and back then they were a lot less than they became a decade later). Atlanta builds the Georgia Dome, Kramer and company realize just how big the game is and will become, and viola, we move to Atlanta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.