Offseason Thread: When Saban Retires -- Who?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The pleasure of worry, i've never heard that saying but i like it.
Cherophobia is a phobia where a person has an irrational aversion to being happy. The term comes from the Greek word “chero,” which means “to rejoice.” When a person experiences cherophobia, they're often afraid to participate in activities that many would characterize as fun, or of being happy.

;)

This reaches full epidemic status on Game Day as soon as Pete Golding’s name gets mentioned

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Sorry I meant Mel Tucker
His name popped in my brain, but I would like to see what he does over the next 5 years before I could say whether or not he should come to Bama. A lot of people were fooled into thinking Scott frost was the next big thing because of that one season at UCF.

Also, I don't want any coaches who do not have any prior head coaching experience to come to Bama. Bama is not the place for on-the-job training. For every Kirby Smart there is a million Jeremy Pruitt's. I don't care what you did in the pros or college as a coordinator. Cut your teeth somewhere else and learn how to run a major college football team first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Windsortide

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
I mean let's honestly look at what Stoops has done for the Kentucky program. The last coach to do what he has done at Kentucky was Bear Bryant

Mark Stoops is loved by his players and fans. Stoops doesn't come with dirty laundry. He would make a good face of a program

What could he do with facilities and talent that a program like Alabama could offer?

Reactions: Con and Ole Man Dan

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I mean let's honestly look at what Stoops has done for the Kentucky program. The last coach to do what he has done at Kentucky was Bear Bryant

Mark Stoops is loved by his players and fans. Stoops doesn't come with dirty laundry. He would make a good face of a program

What could he do with facilities and talent that a program like Alabama could offer?
I think he's great - at Kentucky. I've seen countless coaches go to places like UK, where expectations aren't much above just produce a winning season. They do well there. They build up the culture. They end the losing seasons and take the programs to bowls every year. Then they get called up to a major program and flounder.

If Mark Stoops were a can't miss prospect for an Alabama/Georgia/USC/Oklahoma, he would have broken through at UK and gone to the SEC title game and won it. That he has still not come anywhere close to that tells me that while what he's done at UK is admirable, it's probably not going to translate into what people at an Alabama or Ohio State would want. There is still something missing.

And on a personal preference level, I don't really care for the Stoops's.

Reactions: REBELZED and 9gks

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
I think he's great - at Kentucky. I've seen countless coaches go to places like UK, where expectations aren't much above just produce a winning season. They do well there. They build up the culture. They end the losing seasons and take the programs to bowls every year. Then they get called up to a major program and flounder.

If Mark Stoops were a can't miss prospect for an Alabama/Georgia/USC/Oklahoma, he would have broken through at UK and gone to the SEC title game and won it. That he has still not come anywhere close to that tells me that while what he's done at UK is admirable, it's probably not going to translate into what people at an Alabama or Ohio State would want. There is still something missing.

And on a personal preference level, I don't really care for the Stoops's.
fair analysis

Reactions: TideEngineer08

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
Give me the Lane Train or Sark. The game has evolved to offense and they are 2 of the brighest minds. I think Kiffin continues to mature so I think he would/could be the one some day. Let's see what happens at Florida also.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
His name popped in my brain, but I would like to see what he does over the next 5 years before I could say whether or not he should come to Bama. A lot of people were fooled into thinking Scott frost was the next big thing because of that one season at UCF.

Also, I don't want any coaches who do not have any prior head coaching experience to come to Bama. Bama is not the place for on-the-job training. For every Kirby Smart there is a million Jeremy Pruitt's. I don't care what you did in the pros or college as a coordinator. Cut your teeth somewhere else and learn how to run a major college football team first.
We will find out what he is worth his task is much more difficult than Kirby’s and probably unsustainable. That’s probably why CNS left?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.