Oklahoma Professor equates “Ok, boomer” with a bad word.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Oklahoma professor allegedly says 'OK, boomer' is like 'calling someone a (N-word)'
Probably regrets saying that.
Am I missing something or is “ok, Boomer,” something offensive?
Stealing this - it mocks "narrow-minded, outdated, negatively-judgemental, or condescending attitudes ". Per my boys, if someone says "Okay, Boomer" to you, they are saying that you are narrow minded or are acting/speaking in a condescending way. In some cases it could also be used to call someone a bigot, but this is not a common use.

Let's say that a person (man or woman) judges a teenage girl for wearing short shorts. A typical reply today would be, "Okay, Boomer".

• Thank You
Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Stealing this - it mocks "narrow-minded, outdated, negatively-judgemental, or condescending attitudes ". Per my boys, if someone says "Okay, Boomer" to you, they are saying that you are narrow minded or are acting/speaking in a condescending way. In some cases it could also be used to call someone a bigot, but this is not a common use.

Let's say that a person (man or woman) judges a teenage girl for wearing short shorts. A typical reply today would be, "Okay, Boomer".
I've been told by the "yoots" it means basically what your boys told you and it is associated specifically with white people born in the "baby boomer" generation. Not just anybody born in that generation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've been told by the "yoots" it means basically what your boys told you and it is associated specifically with white people born in the "baby boomer" generation. Not just anybody born in that generation.
My youngest son's GF called another girl (in her early 20s) in their group a Boomer for saying something when they were watching TV in my house a few weeks ago (I did not catch the context, but it was clear that she was being called out for this type of behavior). There wasn't any push back about it, either. Apparently the girl felt chastised, but rightfully so, and was chagrined for having made the comment. She did not take it as an insult.

I think that the term and its uses are evolving. And it is probable that its use varies from one demographic to another.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not ageism where I live - it is about behavior, not age. But maybe something else in other areas.
Yea this. It's definitely more about behavior than age IMO.

Then why not just say "bigot" or something else? Some whippersnapper is going to be interviewing an older person and get sued for this one day.
Because it is focused on an attitude/behavior that is distinct from bigotry. Though it may include some types of bigotry.

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Then why not just say "bigot" or something else? Some whippersnapper is going to be interviewing an older person and get sued for this one day.
Maybe - GenZ came up with this, not the Millennials - They are too young to care about things like that yet. And they couldn't tell a boomer from a millennial - to them, anyone over the age of 25 is old.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
BTW, I tend to agree (mostly) with what you are saying. Intergenerational disagreements are nothing new. Young people are said to be ignorant and devoid of wisdom brought on by experience while older folks are said to be stuck in the old ways of thinking. That isn't going to stop some idiot from uttering it at the wrong time and costing his/her self or company some money.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BTW, I tend to agree (mostly) with what you are saying. Intergenerational disagreements are nothing new. Young people are said to be ignorant and devoid of wisdom brought on by experience while older folks are said to be stuck in the old ways of thinking. That isn't going to stop some idiot from uttering it at the wrong time and costing his/her self or company some money.
I do think that it is rooted in inter-generational discord. The older members of GenZ align themselves with the Greta Thunbergs of the world. They know that they are being handed a world in deep trouble, and that previous generations are the cause of that. So they have little use for the "wisdom" of those who have led them to their destruction.

As the parent of two young men who think this way, I am proud of them for their anger and their unwillingness to accept excuses. They want change, and are not going to accept the status quo. They do not feel that wisdom comes with age because they see what is playing out around the world. All of that is being led by people who are older, so should be wiser, but are instead very foolish.

I am 53, and my generation has earned the distrust of today's youth. They are not disillusioned. Their eyes are wide open.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I do think that it is rooted in inter-generational discord. The older members of GenZ align themselves with the Greta Thunbergs of the world. They know that they are being handed a world in deep trouble, and that previous generations are the cause of that. So they have little use for the "wisdom" of those who have led them to their destruction.

As the parent of two young men who think this way, I am proud of them for their anger and their unwillingness to accept excuses. They want change, and are not going to accept the status quo. They do not feel that wisdom comes with age because they see what is playing out around the world. All of that is being led by people who are older, so should be wiser, but are instead very foolish.

I am 53, and my generation has earned the distrust of today's youth. They are not disillusioned. Their eyes are wide open.
No disrespect to you or your boys. But every generation thinks this way. That their generation "has it right" and these previous generations have screwed it all up. It's been this way from the beginning of time. I can almost guarantee you that when your boys' generation turns 53 years old, and had their chance to leave their mark on society. There will be a younger generation of 20 somethings outraged and clamoring for change at the "mess" they were left by your boys' generation. Again, no disrespect to you or your boys. But this type stuff has been going on forever and the same root problems of cultures and societies (though they may present themselves in different forms) have stayed the same from generation to generation.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No disrespect to you or your boys. But every generation thinks this way. That their generation "has it right" and these previous generations have screwed it all up. It's been this way from the beginning of time. I can almost guarantee you that when your boys' generation turns 53 years old, and had their chance to leave their mark on society. There will be a younger generation of 20 somethings outraged and clamoring for change at the "mess" they were left by your boys' generation. Again, no disrespect to you or your boys. But this type stuff has been going on forever and the same root problems of cultures and societies (though they may present themselves in different forms) have stayed the same from generation to generation.
When my boys are 53, the world will be a very different place. No generation has faced what they will face. Global warming is the most serious threat to civilization in the history of mankind.

While we worry about the economy, they are worried about survival. GenZ is growing up in a world in which every other risk is infinitesimally small compared to global warming.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
For a little different take, the term originated in the theft of the Cherokee Strip in OK. Those who waited until it was legally acceptable to move in were called "Boomers." The ones who broke the law and rushed in ahead of time were called "Sooners," hence the OU cry of "Boomer-Sooner." Being part Cherokee, it sets my teeth on edge to hear it...

Wiki

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
When my boys are 53, the world will be a very different place. No generation has faced what they will face. Global warming is the most serious threat to civilization in the history of mankind.

While we worry about the economy, they are worried about survival. GenZ is growing up in a world in which every other risk is infinitesimally small compared to global warming.
If they are of the belief they only have 30 some odd years to do something or global civilization as they know it will end. Then yeah, I can see their panic. And I'm not poking fun or being snarky when I say that. Please understand that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If they are of the belief they only have 30 some odd years to do something or global civilization as they know it will end. Then yeah, I can see their panic. And I'm not poking fun or being snarky when I say that. Please understand that.
Science says that we have 10 years to change this. After that - too late.

Science says that.

And we still worry about making changes because they would hurt the economy or are too expensive. We don't want to make changes because China or India won't follow suit, so why try? We fought two world wars because a few men sought to rule the world. Tens of millions of human beings died to protect less than is at stake right now.

That is what GenZ sees. This is their world war.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Science says that we have 10 years to change this. After that - too late.

Science says that.

And we still worry about making changes because they would hurt the economy or are too expensive. We don't want to make changes because China or India won't follow suit, so why try? We fought two world wars because a few men sought to rule the world. Tens of millions of human beings died to protect less than is at stake right now.

That is what GenZ sees. This is their world war.
I do not want to get into a climate change/global warming discussion over an "Ok, Boomer" discussion. LOL! But if science claims are right and 10 years is all we have left to make enough changes to correct it. With the understanding that "we" doesn't just mean America. Then we may have already reached "too late". Just my opinion though. I'm just an accountant and youth league baseball coach. So take that for what it's worth. LOL!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I do not want to get into a climate change/global warming discussion over an "Ok, Boomer" discussion. LOL! But if science claims are right and 10 years is all we have left to make enough changes to correct it. With the understanding that "we" doesn't just mean America. Then we may have already reached "too late". Just my opinion though. I'm just an accountant and youth league baseball coach. So take that for what it's worth. LOL!
Yep, but with the right leadership, America could make a huge difference. When we throw up our hands and give up, we are giving up on our children, and their children, not some hypothetical group of people 1,000 years in the future.

This is the primary thing driving the "Okay, Boomer" discord. Our youth realize that we really don't care about their future. They see it in our actions every day. We leave them deeper in debt than any previous generation in American history, with our fresh drinking water supply seriously compromised, and within 10 years of a global warming tipping point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.