OL Pierce Quick entering the transfer portal.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
As I said in another post, kinda makes you wonder how accurate these rating services claim to be. If he was the #40 player in the country and cannot crack the lineup with the current lack of talent in the OL then perhaps he and Tyson were vastly overrated to begin with. I expect an inordinate number of transfers in this offseason.
On the whole the recruiting services do a decent job, but on any individual player - who knows? And OL and QB are supposedly the two hardest positions to evaluate. Bama does a better job than most in evaluation (Saban is really gifted in this area) but they miss too. Don't know what has happened to this year's Bama OL: bad HS evaluations, bad coaching, bad choice of who should play, or a combo of factors. Vs AU, it did seem to improve with the 2 subs from the middle of the 3rd qtr forward, along with the play calling (except for another inexplicable run into the middle of the line on 4th and 2, not 4th and inches).

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Quick, Latham, and Brockermeyer are top-10 OT’s who have yet to see meaningful snaps. Given our success with Neal, Leatherwood, CamRob, etc, this year (and next year’s?) issues at tackle are unsettling to say the least.

Reactions: seebell and FaninLA

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
We are talented and inexperienced. Let’s not make more of out this than it is.
Only one reason why players transfers.........they want to play. Any other non-playing reason is secondary, imo. If Coach came to the young man and told him he would be in line to start next year, I doubt he considers transferring. Which tells me he is further down the depth chart than he expected to be.

I hope he reconsiders but if he doesn't then I wish him the best once he make the decision official.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I expect some wide receivers leaving as well
Only one reason why players transfers.........they want to play. Any other non-playing reason is secondary, imo. If Coach came to the young man and told him he would be in line to start next year, I doubt he considers transferring. Which tells me he is further down the depth chart than he expected to be.

I hope he reconsiders but if he doesn't then I wish him the best once he make the decision official.
some of these are also happening due to the timing of recruiting. gotta know how many spots are open

Reactions: seebell and The Ols

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Quick, Latham, and Brockermeyer are top-10 OT’s who have yet to see meaningful snaps. Given our success with Neal, Leatherwood, CamRob, etc, this year (and next year’s?) issues at tackle are unsettling to say the least.
yeah, but Latham and Brockermeyer are at least listed in the depth chart, and Latham has played in every game on extra points and FG so they have some line of sight to playing time. Quick played once for three snaps against Miami and hasn't been seen or heard since. Could be our OL coach doesn't have a clue and ought to have Quick and others in a different order (or even playing), or could be they just aren't as good as the guys in front of them. I've heard we are actively recruiting past Quick - i.e. not projecting him as a contributor and if that's the case that's likely why he's looking around.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
yeah, but Latham and Brockermeyer are at least listed in the depth chart, and Latham has played in every game on extra points and FG so they have some line of sight to playing time. Quick played once for three snaps against Miami and hasn't been seen or heard since. Could be our OL coach doesn't have a clue and ought to have Quick and others in a different order (or even playing), or could be they just aren't as good as the guys in front of them. I've heard we are actively recruiting past Quick - i.e. not projecting him as a contributor and if that's the case that's likely why he's looking around.
My concern is less with Quick transferring out, which it sounds like he needs to do if he wants playing time, and more with the development of Latham and Brockermeyer and their inability to break through this year given the problems at RT. And with Neal (likely) and Owens gone next year, both tackle positions are major question marks.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
My concern is less with Quick transferring out, which it sounds like he needs to do if he wants playing time, and more with the development of Latham and Brockermeyer and their inability to break through this year given the problems at RT. And with Neal (likely) and Owens gone next year, both tackle positions are major question marks.
Need a new OL coach to develop them

Reactions: CrimsonRuss

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Say it again: our best option at right tackle is a sixth year journeyman INTERIOR LINEMAN. I’ve been very critical of Owens, but he’s still better at playing tackle than elite level high school guys with the physical traits to play tackle. Dude is a hero, especially after we’ve seen what’s behind him.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
When he signed with Bama I was surprised. Great HS player at Muscle Shoals but seemed more on the level of UNA or Jax St or maybe Troy but not Bama.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
It's possible a lot of our Freshmen had their senior years disrupted in some way by COVID, so they could be behind where we would want them to be. Different areas and even different teams in the same area all had different experiences with being able to practice, train and play. It could possibly have impacted any player at any position, but it's way, way easier for the WRs, DBs, RBs and QBs to get some type of work in a socially distanced scenario than it is for the OL and DL.

RollTide-YNWA

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 27, 2009
Dothan
It's possible a lot of our Freshmen had their senior years disrupted in some way by COVID, so they could be behind where we would want them to be. Different areas and even different teams in the same area all had different experiences with being able to practice, train and play. It could possibly have impacted any player at any position, but it's way, way easier for the WRs, DBs, RBs and QBs to get some type of work in a socially distanced scenario than it is for the OL and DL.
And possibly made HS evaluations more tricky ...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with BamaInBham, evaluating offensive linemen and quarterbacks are the two most difficult positions to analyze. We have struggled for years to find and keep a good OL coach. I don't know whether these coaches simply do not want to coach for CNS because of his demands or there is a paucity of top tier coaches. Currently I believe our offensive problems across the board has to do with Marrone and O'Brien. I hope CNS fixes this immediately.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
I agree with BamaInBham, evaluating offensive linemen and quarterbacks are the two most difficult positions to analyze. We have struggled for years to find and keep a good OL coach. I don't know whether these coaches simply do not want to coach for CNS because of his demands or there is a paucity of top tier coaches. Currently I believe our offensive problems across the board has to do with Marrone and O'Brien. I hope CNS fixes this immediately.
Bama has 7th ranked offense in college football. I acknowledge issues, frustration, aggravation and more with current offensive coordinator and line coach, but do you fire coaches for coming in seventh?

Reactions: BamaInBham

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.