JessN: Ole Miss wrap-up: Bama avoids disaster with a lowercase “d”

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
What really concerns me more than anything is the total confusion on the part of our players about where to line up. Did anyone expect Ole Sis to do something different than they did? On many occasions our defenders were looking to the sidelines or at each other while they were set on offense to run the play. We were totally unprepared for a quick snap. It just looked like lousy game planning and player prep.

jdua

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2006
Ole Miss wrap-up: Bama avoids disaster with a lowercase “d”
by Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief
October 11, 2020

On one hand, Alabama has frequently had a case of the yips under Nick Saban in the second or third game of the season, which Saturday’s game against Ole Miss was. On the other, this is an all-SEC schedule in 2020, without many breaks, so if giving up 48 points and 600-plus total yards of offense to the Rebels qualifies as the “yips,” then Alabama might be in for real trouble in the coming weeks.

CONTINUE READING
Thank you for this. I am functionally illiterate when it comes to a detailed knowledge of schemes, X and O's, etc. But I do have a question: there is a suggestion that perhaps our defensive scheme is too complicated now (for a variety of reasons that have been discussed). Also, Coach Pruitt and Coach Smart are defensive coaches and disciples of Coach Saban. So, now that they are running their own programs with seemingly more efficient defenses, are they running the same thing or did they simplify their schemes?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Thank you for this. I am functionally illiterate when it comes to a detailed knowledge of schemes, X and O's, etc. But I do have a question: there is a suggestion that perhaps our defensive scheme is too complicated now (for a variety of reasons that have been discussed). Also, Coach Pruitt and Coach Smart are defensive coaches and disciples of Coach Saban. So, now that they are running their own programs with seemingly more efficient defenses, are they running the same thing or did they simplify their schemes?
They are all running 3-4 defenses with split safety coverages, but Pruitt is more innovative in his blitzing. Pruitt is a risk taker, and blitzes from everywhere. Not sure what the numbers look like now, but while at Alabama Kirby blitzed on about 20% of plays while Pruitt blitzed more than 35% of snaps - some games more than 50%.

Reactions: jdua

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Ole Miss wrap-up: Bama avoids disaster with a lowercase “d”
by Jess Nicholas | TideFans.com Editor-in-Chief

On one hand, Alabama has frequently had a case of the yips under Nick Saban in the second or third game of the season, which Saturday's game against Ole Miss was. On the other, this is an all-SEC schedule in 2020, without many breaks, so if giving up 48 points and 600-plus total yards of offense to the Rebels qualifies as the “yips,” then Alabama might be in for real trouble in the coming weeks.

Continue reading...
Pretty much spot on EXCEPT...
I gave our Defense a D -
and I gave Pete a failing grade.
Pete received an F because the Defense is his responsibility.

Sark is in charge of Offense. I gave him and our Offense an A+.

I don't remember feeling this bad with a victory.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Thanks for the writeup Jess. That was one of the weirdest games I've ever watched. As ugly as it was I had full confidence we were going to win the game. I thought our defense would eventually make a play, that actually never really happened their mistakes were pretty much the only thing that stopped them. I was confident we were going to score every time it was amazing.

I'm hopeful that this game was an outlier and not another piece of a clearly growing trend. There was a lot of criticism after the AM game but they gave up an easy 7 off a turnover and produced a pick six themselves. In modern football I actually thought it was a good performance. The busted coverage and then weak attempt to push guy out of bounds was the only really horrific play. The ole miss game was that play on repeat for the entire game. Best play to indicate it to me was when Ole MIss had a busted play and Corall just ran around the right side for 6 yards. That or where we had them 3rd and 22 or 27 and ended up giving up a conversion on fourth down.

I'm not going to be down on the team. They won the game and they kept fighting despite the adversity. They have the desire and the talent to get better, it just has to happen. It is still going to take a lot for teams to beat us because of how we can score. We're in a better position than most teams in the country right now, undefeated.

• Roll Tide!
Reactions: The Ols

The Elephant

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2020
OLE MISS is more talented than most ppl think, but the performance by the D was very alarming. Moses' injury was the scapegoat last year. He is healthy and we are still struggling.

Reactions: tlockwood

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
An RBR post today suggested something I've thought for at least a year. Make it simple - put a hat on a hat, blitz a third of the time, and just let our athletes play. There are no doubt exploits of various kinds against this, but really could it be any worse than we saw on Saturday? This would move to a disruptive defense instead of a brick wall defense, but if what we saw on Saturday was our new brick wall, I think it is time to give something else a try.

Reactions: Padreruf

tlockwood

1st Team
Dec 15, 2000
Hephzibah, Ga
OLE MISS is more talented than most ppl think, but the performance by the D was very alarming. Moses' injury was the scapegoat last year. He is healthy and we are still struggling.
Moses seems to be missing tackles and finding a way to be out of position since the season started. He has not looked like the player he is supposed to be.

Reactions: The Elephant

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Moses seems to be missing tackles and finding a way to be out of position since the season started. He has not looked like the player he is supposed to be.
he was flat out awful against Ole Miss...there was one play where he should have dropped the QB scrambling right for a minimal gain and instead looked like me stumbling out of bed at 3 am and tripping over the dog on the way to the bathroom.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
he was flat out awful against Ole Miss...there was one play where he should have dropped the QB scrambling right for a minimal gain and instead looked like me stumbling out of bed at 3 am and tripping over the dog on the way to the bathroom.
...and he still had 12 tackles...

Reactions: Con

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.