"On his first day on the job Tuesday, he stepped into a minefield." (Sark at Texas)

DanoCanuck

3rd Team
Feb 5, 2020

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
IMO, he understands the motives, etc., he knows all of this. He made an informed, conscious decision. He may back down but it will be because the ptb have backed down or he wants to resign.
Then he's either dumb as bricks or arrogant as hell. He just finished working under the greatest football coach in college football history and for three years watched how he did it. God bless him is all I can say, life is hard, its even harder when you're stupid.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
No, you're exactly right. In the moment and considering the amount of money he was about to come into. It is very easy to gloss over and not truly think about what's being said.
Has anyone seen HOW BIG a Contract he's getting at Texas? How much money? How many years?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Has anyone seen HOW BIG a Contract he's getting at Texas? How much money? How many years?
I have not, but I bet we're safe in assuming it will be more than double what he was making at Bama, and the rumor at the beauty shop was he wasn't using coupons at the Piggly Wiggly. So he was making some nice money at Bama. :)

• Haha
Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Versus what he would have made in Tuscaloosa anyway, the difference wouldn’t change his life, or his children‘s lives.

But like a middle class kid marrying into old money, the marginal difference in lifestyle will prove to be damnably expensive.

He’s going to regret the move to Austin. May already be second-guessing it, only two days in.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Versus what he would have made in Tuscaloosa anyway, the difference wouldn’t change his life, or his children‘s lives.

But like a middle class kid marrying into old money, the marginal difference in lifestyle will prove to be damnably expensive.

He’s going to regret the move to Austin. May already be second-guessing it, only two days in.
I would love to see the net increase in pay after factoring the increase in cost of living. Property taxes in Texas aren't cheap. I can only imagine property taxes in the affluent sides of Austin, TX.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
It will take me a couple of days because I'm compiling data. So far, it justifies my hunch.

Here's what I'm NOT saying: Texas equals Ole Miss. No, it's not THAT close. However - despite some really big mouths and some really deep pockets, Texas isn't in the Alabama grouping of teams (and that's even if you subtract the recent dynasty years). They're above Ole Miss, yes.

But they ain't nowhere near as far above Ole Miss as pundits, fans, analysts, or especially Longhorn fans WANT TO BELIEVE they are.

Both schools had their best days in all-white football in the 1960s.
Both schools have had problems with perception regarding some symbols (for lack of a better word).

I'm only considering the time frame of 1990-2020. Everyone with a brain will admit Texas was substantially superior to Ole Miss in every way between 1963 and 1989. The problem with both schools is they THINK the calendar never changed or their perception among other fans ever changed, and god help us when we're told who gets the job at Texas and what he can do.

But why don't any of them ever do it?

Seriously - take away the 2005-2007 time frame when Texas had Vince Young/Early Colt while Ole Miss had Ed Orgeron, and the distance is substantially narrower. (Remember - in 2008, Ole Miss beat the national champions AND manhandled with relative ease the same team that beat Texas and cost them a title shot with Florida where they would probably have fared even worse than Oklahoma did).

Johnny Vaught left Ole Miss for the final time at the end of the 1973 season, and Darrell Royal left Texas after the 1976 season. Ole Miss - excluding Joe Lee Dunn, who was an interim for the 1994 season when Billy Brewer got canned in the mid-summer, too late to grab anyone but an assistant - has had 10 head coaches since then and has a reputation as a team that used to be good.

But Texas is on their seventh in 3 fewer years. Extrapolate for the average time between the additional 3 years and they'd be close to 8. Eight coaches versus ten.....one being a supposed power, the other being a perennial doormat.

then bear in mind some other points:
1) Ole Miss has played in a substantially tougher conference than Texas has almost every single year the last three decades
2) there were more people (over 3 million) in the DFW metroplex in 1990 than in the entire state of Mississippi (2.55 million)
3) Ole Miss has to share that small area with the surrounding states (AL, TN, AR, LA) and two other programs. Yeah, Texas has to share theirs with maybe 7-8 other big schools......but the STATE of Texas has grown from 17 to 29.5 million, while the state of MS still has yet to top 3 million. Texas in terms of people is almost TEN TIMES the size of Mississippi, just as it was about 8 times that size in 1990.

I don't think it's reasonable to demand Texas be TEN TIMES as good as Ole Miss based on this.....but shouldn't I be able to expect the Horns would be probably at least TWICE AS GOOD as the Black Bear/Land Shark/Rebs? They have better equipment, more money for everything (and by gawd they will TELL ya), play in an easier conference (that they've made easier by getting Nebraska and Colorado to move out), and they've had a bunch of Heisman finalists as the best player in the country. And yet they're STILL closer to Ole Miss than they are to Oklahoma when it comes down to reality.

I'm not even going just yet. But let me put it this way: there's every reason to believe that if you took the Ole Miss culture and gave them the Texas advantages, they'd at least be more along the lines of, say, LSU. (Amazing how many people forget that in the last 50 years, Texas has ONE.....ONE.....national championship. LSU, with nowhere near those advantages not only has three - they won them with THREE different coaches and made the finals another time).

There is zero doubt that in the last 20 years, LSU is a better overall program than Texas in every single way imaginable. Add another ten, it gets closer because LSU was mostly awful in the 90s.

Texas has all this money and yet they have the same number of titles as:
BYU
Colorado
Georgia Tech
Pitt
Georgia
Washington

....in that same time frame. And it's not like they've put a bunch of teams on the field that came "oh so close" by losing the title game. Anybody know how many times besides 2005 that Texas even had a legitimate shot at the national title since 1971? Four times maybe - 1977, 1983, 2001 maybe, and 2009. FOUR CONTENDERS in 50 years.

That's more than Ole Miss, yeah. But it's not THAT MUCH MORE than Ole Miss, certainly not enough given the advantages to say they're a bunch better.

I'm tired from work, and my son is auditioning (again!) for an appearance on "The Voice" tomorrow.
More in a day or so.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I would love to see the net increase in pay after factoring the increase in cost of living. Property taxes in Texas aren't cheap. I can only imagine property taxes in the affluent sides of Austin, TX.
Texas has no state income tax. Neither does Florida.

Mrs Basket Case and I moved from Alabama to Florida in the mid-90s (back to stay in the late 90s).

Our total tax burden, pre- and post-move, was almost exactly the same. Different buckets, but the same all-in total.

That was 25 years ago, and I have no idea what Texas’ tax laws are today. But I do know the Feds will take almost 40% of the difference.

Bottom line: the UTw money, net all in to his pocket, will be nasty expensive in terms of the enjoyment of life.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Mrs Basket Case and I moved from Alabama to Florida in the mid-90s (back to stay in the late 90s).

Our total tax burden, pre- and post-move, was almost exactly the same. Different buckets, but the same all-in total.

That was 25 years ago, and I have no idea what Texas’ tax laws are today. But I do know the Feds will take almost 40% of the difference.

Bottom line: the UTw money, net all in to his pocket, will be nasty expensive in terms of the enjoyment of life.

People don't notice their missing money when you take it from them via turnpike toll tag swipes at $2 a pass rather than HR Block telling them, "You owe $3,000 for last year."

My seminary advisor told me when I moved here that if I lived in certain areas away from the downtown area, "add $150 in tolls to your calculation for your monthly rent." That was 15 years ago, so I'm sure it's closer to $250 for those same trips now. $250 times 12 is.........

So yeah - there's just whether you notice it or not.
You only catch this if you're one of those detailed money people, though.

Reactions: CB4

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

So you're saying he can confidently still not have to use coupons at the Piggly Wiggly in Austin?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Do they even have Piggly Wigglys in Austin?
None at all in the whole state.

• Thank You
Reactions: TideEngineer08

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Heads up to UTx fans - Sark did not go to Texas to become a Texan. He does not give a crap about your stupid song, and he is never going to be a Texan.

You hired him to coach football. So, shut up and let him coach football.

I see this blunder as something sensitive folks will never forgive.

I truly believe Sark didn't go there to sing songs, or agitate players or fans, but intentions don't mean much if the wrong people take offense. When the Band and players took offense, that's an issue best avoided. I would have said...
'Texas has a rich tradition, and I'll leave questions like that to the
AD and University President.' Then follow it up with...
'I'm hear to coach football. I'm excited to have this opportunity'.

Reactions: B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.