GA News: OnlineAthens - Another QB ‘challenge’ for UGA’s Greyson Lambert

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
July 30th, 2016 10:35 AM

Jackson Matteo didn’t get much of a chance last season to see his former Virginia teammate Greyson Lambert play for Georgia.
The Cavaliers starting center did catch the quarterback looking his best against South Carolina (an NCAA record-setting 24 of 25 showing for 330 yards and three touchdowns) and also his worst against Alabama (10 of 24 for 86 yards with an interception).
“I’m just proud of that dude,” said Matteo, who calls Lambert a friend and walked with him down the Lawn during Virginia’s graduation ceremony in May. “I don’t care what anybody really says about him. No matter where he is and I’m sure this is true at Georgia, he’s working his tail off. He’s always been a hard worker and he’s never going to say no to a challenge.”
The challenge for Lambert, a year after arriving in Athens as a graduate transfer, now is to hold onto the Georgia starting job.
Freshman Jacob Eason is considered the future and will be given a chance to win the job this preseason when practices begin on Monday. Redshirt junior Brice Ramsey is also in the mix.
Even if Eason doesn’t overtake Lambert by the start of the season, given the big-play potential he flashed in Georgia’s spring game it’s feasible the five-star early enrollee from Lake Stevens, Wash., could have the job by October.
“I think that’s what the fans want me to say,” former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy said. “'Eason’s the man. Take him let’s go.’ I also look at Greyson Lambert as a guy that won 10 games last year. He threw two interceptions. He’s not necessarily always going to wow you with the plays he makes but how about the post throw that he threw that was dropped in the end zone by the wide receiver (Reggie Davis at Tennessee). …Rolling to his left, stopping and throwing it back and hitting him in stride 60 yards down field. It was off the charts.”
There were not enough plays downfield with Lambert connecting with Georgia wideouts to boost an offense that had its shares of struggles.
Lambert threw 12 touchdown passes, but had just three in his final six games of the season when he averaged 143.5 yards per game passing. Georgia still went 6-0 in those games (he didn’t play in the loss at Florida).
“Greyson won 10 games last year, OK, and was really 10-2 as a starter,” coach Kirby Smart said. “Very smart, good decision-maker. Not very mobile but he’s a kid that makes good decisions. I think that is a big part of the success they had last year, not beating yourself.”
“He has a winner’s mentality,” Matteo said. “He’s a winner and he’s a perfectionist. Everything he does is intentional.”
Lambert didn't exactly thrive under former coordinator Brian Schottenheimer during a season in which he completed 63.3 percent of his passes. Former Pittsburgh, Arkansas and Tennessee offensive coordinator Jim Chaney will now be in the ear of Lambert at Georgia.
“The guy’s very capable, but he recognized last year when they lost Nick Chubb that he couldn’t necessarily always take the same chances and as a result the offense sputtered and had a difficult time,” said McElory, an analyst for ABC/ESPN and the SEC Network analyst who was Alabama’s starter when it won a national title in 2009. “I don’t want to count him out of the equation because he can flat out throw it when he’s confident. When you don’t have the running game to rely on, it’s difficult to be confident as a passer, especially when that’s your offensive identity.”
Yes, Matteo’s heard even in ACC country what Lambert is up against--Eason.
“I do think Eason from an arm talent standpoint might be as talented as anybody in the entire country,” McElroy said. “The guy that I think only rivals him in arm talent alone is Jeremy Johnson at Auburn. Those guys as far as flat our throwing it are absolutely off the charts. As far as being a game manager, doing whatever it takes to make the offense better, those questions remain to be seen. And I do think they will be answered and he’ll be a great player in this league. I’m just not sure if it’s going to be week one or even October.
Lambert transferred for the chance to start at Georgia after finishing spring practices in 2015 at Virginia as the No. 2 quarterback. He beat out Ramsey and Faton Bauta last August and now he has another fight for the job.
“At the end of the day, he’s not going to shy away from a competition, that’s just not who he is,” Matteo said. “Another day, another quarterback competition and I’m sure he’s going to do his best.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.