GA News: OnlineAthens - Much anticipation for G-Day on and off the field

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
April 15th, 2016 11:56 AM

Hashtag or not, whether Georgia’s spring game turns out to actually be a 93KDay isn’t make or break for Kirby Smart, the new coach who campaigned for fans filling Sanford Stadium to capacity Saturday.
“If we come up short, it’s not going to be a huge disappointment for me,” Smart said. “Obviously I think it will help in recruiting if we have it full. Ultimately, I think when you set goals and you try to do things like that, sometimes when you don’t achieve them, it’s OK. It’s still the fact that you got closer. I want to win every football game I coach, but I haven’t done that either.”
As a Georgia safety, Smart had two interceptions in the first G-Day game under Jim Donnan in 1996 at nearby Clarke Central Stadium.
The spring game was moved there due to preparations for the Olympic soccer venue in Sanford.
“This won’t be the first time that G-Day would be a sold out stadium,” Smart said about that 1996 game which reportedly had a crowd of over 10,000. “I don’t know how many were actually there but they might have had to turn people away actually.”
Georgia is treating the spring game like a fall Saturday game even though this one is general admission seating.
“Everything’s staffed at full strength,” athletic director Greg McGarity said referring to things like ushers, police and medical personnel.
Gates open at 1 p.m. Pregame music act Ludacris is going on at 3:45 p.m. The official G-Day kickoff is actually set for 4:05.
Outside linebacker Lorenzo Carter after practice Thursday said he didn’t know about the late addition of the rapper to the day’s slate.
“Ludacris?” Carter said. “Oh snap!”
Carter said he actually hasn’t listened to Ludacris probably since seventh grade, but knew him better lately from the “Fast and Furious” movies. He said he would pull up some of his music on Pandora and may try to sneak out of the locker room to catch some of him.
“I might go out there and kind of stretch,” Carter said.
Whether the stadium is filled or not, Smart isn’t looking at this year as a one-time call for a big turnout.
“I think it’s something we should challenge our fans to do every year because why not?” he said. “We’ve got millions of people within our arm’s reach. So why shouldn’t Georgia have 93,000 there every spring game. Should. No excuse.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.