GA News: OnlineAthens - UGA first spring scrimmage Saturday: 'Let’s go find out who can play f

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
April 1st, 2016 08:52 AM

Georgia has held several of its football practices already this spring in Sanford Stadium, but Saturday the intensity figures to be raised when the first spring scrimmage is held there.
“It’s a big deal,” said Dyshon Sims, the first-team offensive right guard. “All of them are big. Definitely going out there and getting to prove yourself and getting to make a name for yourself, it’s definitely going to be a huge, huge day.”
First-year coach Kirby Smart said he’s pleased with the Bulldogs’ progress but warns the team isn’t anywhere near where it needs to be.
“I’m excited about the scrimmage because we’re going to have to get off the field and let the kids play,” Smart said. “To me the guys that stick out in the scrimmage are the guys who will stick out in a game. You just say, `Hey, roll the ball out there and go play.’ Take the thinking away, don’t confuse them, don’t shift and motion and make it all complicated. Let’s go find out who can play football because that’s what it’s going to come down to in our league is the guys who can play winning football.”
Smart and offensive coordinator Jim Chaney are still determining who fits that bill at quarterback in a competition that includes senior Greyson Lambert, junior Brice Ramsey and freshman Jacob Eason.
“We’ve tried to manage that, we’ve tried to stagger the reps and make sure that each kid’s getting an equal number of reps,” Smart said in an interview aired Friday morning with 680 The Fan. “We haven’t really gotten into who’s 1s, who’s 2s. Greyson and Brice have both worked with both groups. Jacob showed some promise. We certainly have a good way to go on the communication with all three quarterbacks. They’re challenging each other, they’re pushing each other. Each one of them kind of has a different trait that’s good. They’re all strong in different areas. So we’ve got to do to a good job of managing that.”
Past the midway point in spring practice hasn’t changed much in the big picture.
“I’m not any closer today to saying this is the guy or this is the guy,” Smart said. “I do see their strengths and weaknesses come out more evident now that we’re practicing.”
Depth at running back (Nick Chubb and Brendan Douglas are recovering from injuries, A.J. Turman transferring) and on the defensive line (Michael Barnett out with knee injury) is of the most concern to Smart.
“He was a kid who was playing physical, he was a bigger body guy that could hold on double teams,” Smart said on the radio. “We don’t have enough of those guys.”

...READ MORE HERE...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.