GA News: OnlineAthens - UGA's Jacob Eason gets loud ovation, mixed results in first start

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
September 10th, 2016 06:05 PM

Sanford Stadium public address announcer Brook Whitmire got the crowd riled up with his pregame introduction of Georgia’s quarterback starter.
“From Lake Stevens, Washington, No. 10 Jacob Eason,” he said.
That was met with five seconds of hearty applause.
Eason became just the fifth true freshman quarterback in Georgia history to start but coach Kirby Smart didn’t rule out a change next week at Missouri after the Bulldogs' lackluster 26-24 win over Nicholls State Saturday.
Eason took every quarterback snap in his first college start into the fourth quarter for the first 10 offensive series for Georgia.
Like in the 33-24 win against North Carolina, fifth-year senior Greyson Lambert finished off the game.
Eason was lifted after throwing an interception inside the 10-yard line on what Smart said wasn’t a good decision of where to throw. Lambert came in the game with 7:50 left and was in for the last two series.
Eason was 11 of 20 for 204 yards with a touchdown and a red zone interception with Georgia up 26-14 when his pass on second-and-goal at the 10 was picked off by Jeff Hall and returned 91 yards to set up a field goal.
Lambert went 2 of 3 for two yards.
“Jacob was playing well in the game,” Smart said. “He didn’t get great command out of the huddle, didn’t get great timing out of the huddle. That’s frustrating but he made some good throws. We dropped a couple of balls that I thought could have given us some more cushion there.”
Coaches discussed making a switch several times, Smart said.
“The decision to go with Greyson was more of a change-up,” Smart said. “Go with him, let him go in there and show a little confidence in him with the four-minute offense and be able to shift and motion some people and hopefully run the ball and get some run game going and let him execute the flow of the offense.”
Georgia got the ball at its own 7 with 3:42 to go and ahead 26-24.
Lambert completed a third down pass to Michael Chigbu for nine yards to keep the ball away from Nicholls State
“I thought it was a great job by pressure to Greyson to make a pressure throw,” Smart said. “He’s been sitting there all game and makes a great decision and converts for us.”
“They do have different styles,” wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie said. “I’m just dedicated to the ball. Wheover’s in, I’m just dedicated.”
McKenzie said Eason kept his composure and threw the ball well and “kept the huddle intact. Everybody was calm. He played well.”
Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney, who has not been available to reporters since early August, told the SEC Network before the game he worried about the message getting from him on the sideline to the field with Eason in game.
“He wasn’t as nervous,” tailback Nick Chubb said. “He got the call out to us very fast and clear.”
Chubb said he thought both quarterbacks played well.
McKenzie said of Eason: “He’s not scared to get in the huddle, extend the pocket and throw the ball or take a sack. He’s calm. That’s what I like about him.”
Syncronex:
Metered

...READ MORE HERE...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.