Optimistic 2020 outlook

Bamaboy16

Suspended
Dec 6, 2019
Typical intro here...This is my first post ever post and I am very excited to contribute. Freshmen year was 2011. I wanted to share a collection of things I have heard and thoughts I have had as to why we should be excited for 2020.

Defense: I heard Greg McElroy say on his radio show (podcast?) that there are some rumors that a few early departing players may end up staying...Now optimistically I view this as Dylan Moses and Xavier McKinney. Best case scenario its Dylan, Terrell Lewis, and Xavier. Josh McMillion is petitioning to get a medical redshirt, and I believe he will get it.

So best case: We have a stacked defense, our freshmen (now sophomore) linebackers get the Jalen Hurts experience (play then bench), and can grow under Dylan and Josh. Xavier McKinney leads our secondary with an experienced Patrick Surtain and Josh Jobe, with Jordan Battle stepping up and progressing. Defensive line: LaBryan Ray stays, DJ Dale grows, Bryon Young has experience, and we have a done of depth first the first time in years. (Ishmael Sophser, Stephen Wynn, Christian Barmore, etc)

Best case: We have a great defense, with senior leadership. Plenty of experience. I believe this team jells and really does amazing things.

Base case: Maybe we get back Dylan or Xavier, still have plenty of experience, DLine wont change (LaBryan, DJ Dale, Bryon Young) with depth behind them, Chris Allen steps up as pass rusher, and Im sure someone will break out at Outside Lineback (King Mwu...). Still have a relatively experienced secondary littered with Juniors (Jayln Amour Davis, Josh Jobe, Patrick Surtain). So still a good defense, and our now sophomore linebacker should have a whole year of experience and off season to grow.

Defensive Summary: We're going to be fine. No one can predict injuries, no one can predict players not progressing (Raekwon Davis), but overall if any JRs come back for Senior year it will be a huge boost, but we have plenty of depth and playing time to make up for it. I'm thinking 2017 defense?

Offense: Tua is most likely gone. He was crying as he left BDS against Western Carolina. It wasn't because of "overwhelming cheers" I promise. It was his last time as a player there. 95% chance he's gone. A lot of you are sold on Mac Jones being the starter. I'm not. The only reason Tua didn't start his Freshmen year was because Jalen was a starter for a full year. Fall camp will be wide open for QB. Bryce Young (should be adjust to college defenses / his Highschool runs very mature defenses so he should adjust easily) will make a huge dent. With an entire spring and fall to practice and learn... he makes a real run. He's kind of like Kyler Murry. Accuracy like Tua, runs like Jalen.

We will lose Jerry Judy, Henry Ruggs, probably Smith too. Only reason Smith or Ruggs stays is because of too many WRs in the draft and just waiting a year. Not sold that we lose Alex Leatherwood. He doesnt have the same buzz that Cam Robinson did or Jonah Williams.

Best Case Offense: Bryce Young is as good as advertised and starts against USC. Jaylen Waddle, Jonathon Menchie (very good look out for him), and (maybe Smith/Ruggs or a break out receiver). Our receivers will be good, you just need to throw the ball to one. Trey Sanders steps up and is RB1 with Bryan Robinson at RB2 and Kelliane Robinson at RB3. Solid depth. OLine will lose a few players but we recruited OLine like crazy in 2018. We will find depth at OLine, plenty at WR, and RB with Bryce Young delivering.

Base Case: Really won't take too many steps back. Trey Sanders drew high praise from Saban before his injury. I have faith in Bryce Young. With Jaylen Waddle and Jon Menchie leading WR we will be fine. OLine has so much depth.

Season overview. Like this year the D and O Lines will need to adjust and jell together. We get past USC but don't expect 52-6. Should be ready by the time we face a most likely George Fromm-less Georgia. I like our chances highly plus its at home. I think if we get the Best case on defense and offense we go 12-0. Base case for both maybe 11-1 but I still feel really good about next years team barring injuries.

Oh by the way, Steve Sark is listed as interested in the Colorado State job for those of you saying you don't see him going anywhere. I hope he stays too, and that Bryce Young is as good as advertised - can't stress that enough.

Roll Tide!

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Fromm is coming back because he had a mediocre Junior year. UGA is going to lose a ton of juniors and seniors from this year's team though.

Reactions: UAH

VernonTider

Scout Team
Nov 9, 2019
Great first post, Bamaboy. I'm a new poster here too, after reading forever. I agree with just about everything you've assessed, including Mac. I just am not sold. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope we don't find out the hard way.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Welcome, Bamaboy. Lots to digest in your first post.

In regard to Young, I'm never sold on an incoming freshman until I see him play, so I'm not counting on him being our starter. I've also become a Mac supporter. I wasn't sold on him until the IB. I thought he showed a lot of poise and made some really good plays in a very hostile environment. His first pick-six was a bad throw. The second was a poor decision. Hopefully experience will help him reduce those kinds of mistakes. But he didn't let those mistakes get him down. In fact, he came back and played better afterwards. I think he'll be a solid QB for us and will do well distributing the ball to the talented guys around him.

Young may be more talented, although Mac ain't no slouch. But maturity and leadership are the keys for QB. I have a hard time seeing a true freshman come in and "win the team" over a guy who's been there for 3 years.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
Anyone know if Najee is likely to enter the draft? Since you didn't mention him I guess you think he is going pro. Also, anyone have insight into how Trey Sanders is progressing from his injury?

Bamaboy16

Suspended
Dec 6, 2019
Welcome, Bamaboy. Lots to digest in your first post.

In regard to Young, I'm never sold on an incoming freshman until I see him play, so I'm not counting on him being our starter. I've also become a Mac supporter. I wasn't sold on him until the IB. I thought he showed a lot of poise and made some really good plays in a very hostile environment. His first pick-six was a bad throw. The second was a poor decision. Hopefully experience will help him reduce those kinds of mistakes. But he didn't let those mistakes get him down. In fact, he came back and played better afterwards. I think he'll be a solid QB for us and will do well distributing the ball to the talented guys around him.

Young may be more talented, although Mac ain't no slouch. But maturity and leadership are the keys for QB. I have a hard time seeing a true freshman come in and "win the team" over a guy who's been there for 3 years.
I like Mac too! Could be a 2015 type team. I just think that Bryce has a higher ceiling and makes us more dynamic. I don't think Saban will play Mac all year just to bench him against higher competition (Jalen/Tua all over again).

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Whoever starts at QB, the backup still needs lots of experience too... not just handing the ball off for the last 10 minutes of the 4th quarter. There are a few games that will allow that early in the season (GA State, Kent State). You never know about injuries, but hopefully QB will not be one of them again. Question is, what will Saban want to do with Bryce Young based on his development in Spring and Fall... redshirt him or not? Will he talk with Bryce and family about it or not, if it comes down to that? We certainly don't want Bryce to transfer because he is the future.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Typical intro here...This is my first post ever post and I am very excited to contribute. Freshmen year was 2011. I wanted to share a collection of things I have heard and thoughts I have had as to why we should be excited for 2020.

Defense: I heard Greg McElroy say on his radio show (podcast?) that there are some rumors that a few early departing players may end up staying...Now optimistically I view this as Dylan Moses and Xavier McKinney. Best case scenario its Dylan, Terrell Lewis, and Xavier. Josh McMillion is petitioning to get a medical redshirt, and I believe he will get it.

So best case: We have a stacked defense, our freshmen (now sophomore) linebackers get the Jalen Hurts experience (play then bench), and can grow under Dylan and Josh. Xavier McKinney leads our secondary with an experienced Patrick Surtain and Josh Jobe, with Jordan Battle stepping up and progressing. Defensive line: LaBryan Ray stays, DJ Dale grows, Bryon Young has experience, and we have a done of depth first the first time in years. (Ishmael Sophser, Stephen Wynn, Christian Barmore, etc)

Best case: We have a great defense, with senior leadership. Plenty of experience. I believe this team jells and really does amazing things.

Base case: Maybe we get back Dylan or Xavier, still have plenty of experience, DLine wont change (LaBryan, DJ Dale, Bryon Young) with depth behind them, Chris Allen steps up as pass rusher, and Im sure someone will break out at Outside Lineback (King Mwu...). Still have a relatively experienced secondary littered with Juniors (Jayln Amour Davis, Josh Jobe, Patrick Surtain). So still a good defense, and our now sophomore linebacker should have a whole year of experience and off season to grow.

Defensive Summary: We're going to be fine. No one can predict injuries, no one can predict players not progressing (Raekwon Davis), but overall if any JRs come back for Senior year it will be a huge boost, but we have plenty of depth and playing time to make up for it. I'm thinking 2017 defense?

Offense: Tua is most likely gone. He was crying as he left BDS against Western Carolina. It wasn't because of "overwhelming cheers" I promise. It was his last time as a player there. 95% chance he's gone. A lot of you are sold on Mac Jones being the starter. I'm not. The only reason Tua didn't start his Freshmen year was because Jalen was a starter for a full year. Fall camp will be wide open for QB. Bryce Young (should be adjust to college defenses / his Highschool runs very mature defenses so he should adjust easily) will make a huge dent. With an entire spring and fall to practice and learn... he makes a real run. He's kind of like Kyler Murry. Accuracy like Tua, runs like Jalen.

We will lose Jerry Judy, Henry Ruggs, probably Smith too. Only reason Smith or Ruggs stays is because of too many WRs in the draft and just waiting a year. Not sold that we lose Alex Leatherwood. He doesnt have the same buzz that Cam Robinson did or Jonah Williams.

Best Case Offense: Bryce Young is as good as advertised and starts against USC. Jaylen Waddle, Jonathon Menchie (very good look out for him), and (maybe Smith/Ruggs or a break out receiver). Our receivers will be good, you just need to throw the ball to one. Trey Sanders steps up and is RB1 with Bryan Robinson at RB2 and Kelliane Robinson at RB3. Solid depth. OLine will lose a few players but we recruited OLine like crazy in 2018. We will find depth at OLine, plenty at WR, and RB with Bryce Young delivering.

Base Case: Really won't take too many steps back. Trey Sanders drew high praise from Saban before his injury. I have faith in Bryce Young. With Jaylen Waddle and Jon Menchie leading WR we will be fine. OLine has so much depth.

Season overview. Like this year the D and O Lines will need to adjust and jell together. We get past USC but don't expect 52-6. Should be ready by the time we face a most likely George Fromm-less Georgia. I like our chances highly plus its at home. I think if we get the Best case on defense and offense we go 12-0. Base case for both maybe 11-1 but I still feel really good about next years team barring injuries.

Oh by the way, Steve Sark is listed as interested in the Colorado State job for those of you saying you don't see him going anywhere. I hope he stays too, and that Bryce Young is as good as advertised - can't stress that enough.

Roll Tide!
Good analysis and welcome aboard! :cool:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If all those guys comeback as you suggest, I just dont see them coming back to rely on a freshman QB to lead them. I think they either believe Tua will be back or Mac has earned their respect and see that some ways they are a more balanced team when he is under center.

Reactions: Blueguitar

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
If all those guys comeback as you suggest, I just dont see them coming back to rely on a freshman QB to lead them. I think they either believe Tua will be back or Mac has earned their respect and see that some ways they are a more balanced team when he is under center.
Other than if Tua comes back the QB won't make a difference. They'll trust CNS to play the right guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: tideindc

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Other than the two pick-six plays, which were admittedly both huge turning points, Mac Jones just lit up one of the best defenses in the country on their home field. He will be in his fourth year on campus next year. I will be surprised if a true freshman comes in and beats him out in year one. If he does, he will be a special player, and we will be in good shape either way.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Other than the two pick-six plays, which were admittedly both huge turning points, Mac Jones just lit up one of the best defenses in the country on their home field. He will be in his fourth year on campus next year. I will be surprised if a true freshman comes in and beats him out in year one. If he does, he will be a special player, and we will be in good shape either way.
This is a big deal and a "good" big deal for us. Having an older more mature player at the QB position. It can pay huge dividends in big games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This is a big deal and a "good" big deal for us. Having an older more mature player at the QB position. It can pay huge dividends in big games.
I think pre 2016, "experience" was CNS's go to if all seemed to be close to equal with QBs, but it seems he's transitioned more to "talent and possibility" in the last 2 or 3. Don't think anybody would question if MJ's has experience and is not "talented." The question is "to what degree" is he talented compared to the star recruit?

FWIW, had MJ had the very game he had minus the two INTs/PicSixes, I think he would have positioned himself on much more solid ground, but those two mistakes, for a guy that's been in the program 3 years, are a big black mark.

On top of that, I remember the talk about Tua's inexperience showing up with a higher TD/INT ratio, but that didn't turn out to be a problem, at all and with Young's similar accuracy, it may not be with him.

So, if CNS has a true freshman that he believes is more talented and an experienced guy that can both make mistakes like that, but the "young" guy is more elite that raises the possibility for the BY.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Other than if Tua comes back the QB won't make a difference. They'll trust CNS to play the right guy.
I'm guessing if there's no clear starter going into the fall, he'll play the two frontrunners until one of them emerges -- as he did with Sims and AJ and Jalen and Barnett.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I did not know exactly where to post this but a thought occurred to me. We need a good defense next year to not repeat this year. We had the offense this year and it scored tons but you need both O and D to win championships. My question is based upon history, how much can we really expect an improvement on defense? I was thinking about CNS time at alabama and I cannot remember our defense ever going from OK to elite in one year. 2011 defense is probably the best defense of the CNS Era but how much did it is to prove compared to 2010? I the think the 2010 defense was way better than our 2019 defense. It seems to me it is near impossible to improve the defense drastically in one year. I may be remembering incorrectly but is to prove think all of the great defenses at least had a good defense the previous year.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Welcome BB16. If Tua doesn't return the Lia will be your starter next year after the Spring. I love Mac just don't think he can hold off the talented Freshman. We will not have a true frosh QB starting next year. Sark will be in TTown one more year before taking a good head coaching job...not Colorado State. We are going to have less Juniors leaving to the NFL than usual and keep a couple of high profile wide receivers one more year.

Reactions: tideindc

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.