Optimistic 2020 outlook

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
Mac played incredible and also like it was his 4th start of his career. Auburn was supposed to live in the backyard and this be a check down and rely on run type of game. I came away very impressed with Mac’s throws where he put it in the back of the end zone only where his guy could catch it. Beautiful touch on his passes.

I think we will have one of the most talented QB rooms in the country in the spring. Who knows who will leave come the fall but you can only coach who is here. Mac has the experience, Taulia has the quite confidence and Young brings the excitement/potential. Tyson also could be a pleasant surprise but I think he is a Bama boy and will stay regardless of what happens. JMO.

Bamaboy16

Suspended
Dec 6, 2019
Welcome BB16. If Tua doesn't return the Lia will be your starter next year after the Spring. I love Mac just don't think he can hold off the talented Freshman. We will not have a true frosh QB starting next year. Sark will be in TTown one more year before taking a good head coaching job...not Colorado State. We are going to have less Juniors leaving to the NFL than usual and keep a couple of high profile wide receivers one more year.
Thanks for the welcome! Not sold in Lia. We had Jalen play as a true freshman and Bryce Young is special. Was just featured in Sports Illustrated. I think it's very real that he could start. Especially as an early enrolee. Either way, time will tell and we will be in good hands.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
In my opinion no speculation about 2020 can be made until we know who actually wants to play football for the tide in 2020. I see only two sure fire 1st round picks in Jeudy and Tua and Tua might be at the end of the first round. Smitty has size issues, Ruggs isn't as productive as the other two, Both tackles have had good and bad days, both are good, I'm not sure if either are great enough for 1st round, Moses will definitely not go in round 1, nobody is going to risk a 1st round pick on an injured player. (tua would not be counted on in year one but his skill set still warrants 1st round). Najee might be as good as there is in the country but running backs are not 1st round players any more and the NFL guys all like the shorter shiftier players, they don't last very long in the NFL but they don't care about that and finally Xavier McKinney like the entire secondary had a crappy year. Frankly only Surtain played well and he's not eligible for the NFL yet. And LaBryan Ray... Please. He wouldn't get drafted.

• Sad
Reactions: B1GTide

Bamaboy16

Suspended
Dec 6, 2019
In my opinion no speculation about 2020 can be made until we know who actually wants to play football for the tide in 2020. I see only two sure fire 1st round picks in Jeudy and Tua and Tua might be at the end of the first round. Smitty has size issues, Ruggs isn't as productive as the other two, Both tackles have had good and bad days, both are good, I'm not sure if either are great enough for 1st round, Moses will definitely not go in round 1, nobody is going to risk a 1st round pick on an injured player. (tua would not be counted on in year one but his skill set still warrants 1st round). Najee might be as good as there is in the country but running backs are not 1st round players any more and the NFL guys all like the shorter shiftier players, they don't last very long in the NFL but they don't care about that and finally Xavier McKinney like the entire secondary had a crappy year. Frankly only Surtain played well and he's not eligible for the NFL yet. And LaBryan Ray... Please. He wouldn't get drafted.
I really hate to argue with you on here, but what a terrible attitude and view. Not only is it really not that true, it's something that a coach nor fan would ever want his players to hear. "Come to Alabama, our fans rip you to shreds!".

On a real note...I'll break down what you just said.
Ruggs isnt as productive: Why? Because he's bad? Because he didn't make a one handed catch against LSU in 2018? (He did) Or because there is so much talent and only so many plays? Ruggs is easily a late first round pick especially if he stays.

Smitty doesn't have size: Again, he can always bulk up but his skills are undeniable. For Alabama having him would be a major plus, have you even watched him play?

Tua late first round pick: I'm fairly certain he is staying. My sources are 3rd hand but I hear he won't take less than a top 10 pick. If you dont want to have an opinion until it's final, thats fine.

LaBryan Ray: Great stats for the number of games he was in. Multiply his stats by 12 games and he has a great season. So easily a first or second round pick after his senior year, not now.

Secondary: Was 6th in the nation in passing defense efficiency. What more do you want? They had a less than stellar front 7 that wasn't able to get pressure to help them out. They did pretty well considering.

So again, my article was about players staying and being optimistic. Not about why they suck and wouldn't get drafted.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Thanks for the welcome! Not sold in Lia. We had Jalen play as a true freshman and Bryce Young is special. Was just featured in Sports Illustrated. I think it's very real that he could start. Especially as an early enrolee. Either way, time will tell and we will be in good hands.
My comment on Lia is based on seeing him play several times at Thompson. Kid is pretty good and think he has a much higher ceiling that anyone currently on the roster other than his brother of course. In his first A Day, Tua led the white team in a victory over Jalen and the Crimson team. We will see a repeat of that this Spring with Lia over Mac IMHO. Could be wrong but I just think this kid is special like his brother between the ears but with a little different skill set.

Bamaboy16

Suspended
Dec 6, 2019
My comment on Lia is based on seeing him play several times at Thompson. Kid is pretty good and think he has a much higher ceiling that anyone currently on the roster other than his brother of course. In his first A Day, Tua led the white team in a victory over Jalen and the Crimson team. We will see a repeat of that this Spring with Lia over Mac IMHO. Could be wrong but I just think this kid is special like his brother between the ears but with a little different skill set.
Ahh my friend, you misremember. Tua did not lead the white to a victory. I recall he looked amazing, but Jalen came back (probably due to Mac Jones playing for white as well and not keeping the momentum). 27-24 Crimson. Hey like I said, the best player will start and whoever it is, I trust Saban. If you think Lia is special, than so do I !! Just saying if Bryce is as good as advertised...I'm excited.

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
I really hope Smitty stays because IMO, he was our best receiver. I don't think he can really bulk up too much due to his body type. I don't think he has those genetics. He's plenty strong though. Saban was even quoted saying that he plays big and how some big guys don't play up to their potential in regards to their size.

Reactions: B1GTide

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Ruggs will likely go -- because every mock out there has him going to the Raiders in the teens......

I think it will be Ruggs, Jeudy, Najee (apparently) and Wills.....(and I guess now Lewis - though I never expected him to come back).

But that leaves Tua, Leatherwood, Smitty coming back on the "O"
With X, Ray, Moses, coming back on D......

THAT is a way to make me count down the days until next year. I think we absolutely destroy Kirby and USCw

Bamaboy16

Suspended
Dec 6, 2019
Ruggs will likely go -- because every mock out there has him going to the Raiders in the teens......

I think it will be Ruggs, Jeudy, Najee (apparently) and Wills.....(and I guess now Lewis - though I never expected him to come back).

But that leaves Tua, Leatherwood, Smitty coming back on the "O"
With X, Ray, Moses, coming back on D......

THAT is a way to make me count down the days until next year. I think we absolutely destroy Kirby and USCw
Its definitely exciting, especially if we get all those guys back on the D

Bamaboy16

Suspended
Dec 6, 2019
Looks like we've got Dylan Moses and Josh McMillon coming back. That is something to be really excited about. It will give our younger guys a chance to grow after playing for a year.

Losing Xavier hurts but keeping Josh (and I know he's no Reubon Foster or Reggie Ragland) is great! He brings a ton of brain power to the table.

4-5 offensive linemen return, WR is Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, and John Menchie. Trey Sanders is RB 1. We don't take a step back offensively, especially if Bryce Young plays as well as advertised.

Saban isnt afraid to put the best man in the starting line up. If BY is a difference maker, we will need him to get back Georgia in 2020.

Defense: 3 seniors, 4 juniors, and 4 sophomores. We will have better brain power in the front 7 and more experience too. It will be a good year (maybe not dominate, but good!)

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Looks like we've got Dylan Moses and Josh McMillon coming back. That is something to be really excited about. It will give our younger guys a chance to grow after playing for a year.

Losing Xavier hurts but keeping Josh (and I know he's no Reubon Foster or Reggie Ragland) is great! He brings a ton of brain power to the table.

4-5 offensive linemen return, WR is Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, and John Menchie. Trey Sanders is RB 1. We don't take a step back offensively, especially if Bryce Young plays as well as advertised.

Saban isnt afraid to put the best man in the starting line up. If BY is a difference maker, we will need him to get back Georgia in 2020.

Defense: 3 seniors, 4 juniors, and 4 sophomores. We will have better brain power in the front 7 and more experience too. It will be a good year (maybe not dominate, but good!)
I definitely think we can win a ball game or two next season IF we can somehow get the majority of our projected starters to the field to open the season. Particularly on D .

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

Now that both Jeudy and Ruggs are leaving, does anyone think Saban may take a look at WR Justin Shorter from PSU who is in the portal. I don't know anything about Shorter other than he was a 5-Star out of HS. Would he fit our system, is he a need etc, or do we stand pat at WR with what we have and what we have coming in.

Reactions: Probius

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Now that both Jeudy and Ruggs are leaving, does anyone think Saban may take a look at WR Justin Shorter from PSU who is in the portal. I don't know anything about Shorter other than he was a 5-Star out of HS. Would he fit our system, is he a need etc, or do we stand pat at WR with what we have and what we have coming in.
I hope so.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Trey Sanders will have to show he can Block, burst thru a hole and carry guys with him, or make everybody miss, then he should be in consideration for #1. Refresh my memory, because I don't remember seeing Trey catch passes. Now days if your gonna be big time, you better be able to catch a few passes too.

Reactions: NoNC4Tubs

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Trey Sanders will have to show he can Block, burst thru a hole and carry guys with him, or make everybody miss, then he should be in consideration for #1. Refresh my memory, because I don't remember seeing Trey catch passes. Now days if your gonna be big time, you better be able to catch a few passes too.
And, Najee hasn't declared yet.

Bama Shoals

1st Team
Jan 17, 2007
Killen, AL
Roster management for this upcoming season is going to be interesting. Assuming Najee leaves and two of the four unsigned commitments come in to the class, Alabama will have 92 players who have accepted scholarships. You can only have 85 so it will be interesting to see how that is managed. Someone is leaving or being taken off of scholarship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.