Oregon Ducks need to join USC and put Pac-12 Conference on notice

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Basically have power three conferences with their collective act together right now. SEC, B1G and ACC. B12 is being ruined because UT runs the show (OU notwithstanding) and the PAC is a holy mess of mismanagement.

Oregon, USC and the like are wise to explore their options.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Oregon is a program that is pumped up by Nike. It really doesn’t have the fan support to make demands. If there is a #2 or close #3 in that conference it is UCLA and Washington. The PAC 12 wouldn’t shiver losing Oregon

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Basically have power three conferences with their collective act together right now. SEC, B1G and ACC. B12 is being ruined because UT runs the show (OU notwithstanding) and the PAC is a holy mess of mismanagement.

I would argue that it could be limited to the SEC, BIG, Clemson, and OU. I would probably add ND, UTw and USCw. All are historic powerhouses that have fallen on more difficult times. Let's not forget that not so long ago, a lot of people said that about us.

And 81usaf92 is right....Oregon's success is purely a function of Phil Knight and Nike. If not for that, they'd be at the same level of mediocrity as the rest of the conference.

Outside of those quibbles and peripheral hangers-on, there's not a bit of difference between the ACC other than Clemson, the B12 other than OU, and the PAC12.

Interesting side note: There were two college teams that had analogues to NFL owners....Oregon with Phil Knight (mentioned above), and Oklahoma State with Boone Pickens. With Pickens passing last year, that's down to one.

Even having Pickens's money at its back, Okie Light could manage only spotty success and a relatively low ceiling -- one conference championship and no playoff appearances. With Pickens' passing last year, it will be interesting to see if they are able to maintain that.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
We don't need more independents, we don't need more Notre Dame's, who get special rules just for them to get into the playoffs. Sorry your conference sucks right now, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Want to leave the PAC, fine, just join some other conference.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

The Big 12 has to be included simply because of the money generated by OU and Texas. They actually have far more power than the Pac 12 today, as long as those 2 are content hanging around.

My hierarchy would actually be:

SEC and B1G
-
-
-
-
ACC
Big 12
-
-
-
Pac 12
-
AAC

The Pac 12 is on perilous ground right now, financially speaking, when the next round of realignment comes up. And I get what you're saying about mismanagement, however, there simply isn't much to manage. The fans out there simply do not care in large enough numbers. When tv carriers have contract disputes in the South, there is an uproar and negotiations happen and deals get made. When this happens in the West, there is a collective shrug.

Reactions: TraskiTideFan

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
The Big 12 would argue that they are doing just fine. They may not win the football title, but they always have a rep in the final four, their basketball conference is very top heavy with lots of quality, and I am sure they do alright in the other sports.

The Pac12 is not a major player in the money sports these days. I don't know how you deal with that or if you even do, but any attempt to include them as a top sports conference is a stretch.

Reactions: The Ols

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If the big XII was to expand via PAC 12 then it would be USC, UCLA, Washington, and Colorado before Oregon. The 1st 3 are the money makers and Colorado gives them back the lucrative Denver market that they desperately want. All others in the conference just don’t add anything

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If the big XII was to expand via PAC 12 then it would be USC, UCLA, Washington, and Colorado before Oregon. The 1st 3 are the money makers and Colorado gives them back the lucrative Denver market that they desperately want. All others in the conference just don’t add anything
It's a real interesting subject, considering the Pac-12 nearly killed the Big 12. The problem is the uninspired addition of Utah and Colorado really didn't do much for the conference. To give an example, Missouri is bigger than either of those states and neither of those schools really have much of a brand. The fact that the SEC got Texas A&M as well just crushes them in comparison.

Even the Big 10's cynical expansion was better, Maryland has a bigger population than those two states and New Jersey is even bigger. So, the Pac-12 went from potentially the biggest move to arguably the worst (short of the survival moves made).

As to what comes now, I don't see any scenario where USC goes independent. This isn't BYU getting away from a worthless conference, the Pac-12 still brings in revenue. I don't see that happening.

Could the Big 12 end up in the conversation? Sure, why not. The Big 12 treats their top programs well in relation to the ones on the bottom. If I was making a push, I'd choose Washington, and USC/UCLA like you said (have to have a pair of California schools) but Oregon would be a serious contender.

I don't feel like Colorado ever really moved the needle, and I'm not sure we're in an era where big markets are quite as important. Then you also have Arizona with the Phoenix market, but Oregon and those Nike dollars mean something. Population wise, they're about the same as Oklahoma, who was once a coveted school. So, really, you could take Washington, Colorado, Arizona, and Oregon and argue for any of them. Remember though, Colorado ditched the Big 12, so bad blood there probably kills a reunion.

Realistically though, this ain't happening for a few reasons.
A: The Big 12 has strong representation from religious schools. A lot of Pac-12 schools are not into that sort of thing, at all.
B: The only real prize is California and in particular USC. After that the additions get very Maryland/Missouri like. Any deal would basically be centered around what ever it took to land USC. If they can't land USC then there's not much else worth taking, and that's the problem.

I don't see it happening though, the Pac-12 is just so isolated out there that it ties their hands. BYU and Boise State have been trying to step up in the world of college football for instance, and neither could land in a good, stable situation.

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's a real interesting subject, considering the Pac-12 nearly killed the Big 12. The problem is the uninspired addition of Utah and Colorado really didn't do much for the conference. To give an example, Missouri is bigger than either of those states and neither of those schools really have much of a brand. The fact that the SEC got Texas A&M as well just crushes them in comparison.

Even the Big 10's cynical expansion was better, Maryland has a bigger population than those two states and New Jersey is even bigger. So, the Pac-12 went from potentially the biggest move to arguably the worst (short of the survival moves made).

As to what comes now, I don't see any scenario where USC goes independent. This isn't BYU getting away from a worthless conference, the Pac-12 still brings in revenue. I don't see that happening.

Could the Big 12 end up in the conversation? Sure, why not. The Big 12 treats their top programs well in relation to the ones on the bottom. If I was making a push, I'd choose Washington, and USC/UCLA like you said (have to have a pair of California schools) but Oregon would be a serious contender.

I don't feel like Colorado ever really moved the needle, and I'm not sure we're in an era where big markets are quite as important. Then you also have Arizona with the Phoenix market, but Oregon and those Nike dollars mean something. Population wise, they're about the same as Oklahoma, who was once a coveted school. So, really, you could take Washington, Colorado, Arizona, and Oregon and argue for any of them. Remember though, Colorado ditched the Big 12, so bad blood there probably kills a reunion.

Realistically though, this ain't happening for a few reasons.
A: The Big 12 has strong representation from religious schools. A lot of Pac-12 schools are not into that sort of thing, at all.
B: The only real prize is California and in particular USC. After that the additions get very Maryland/Missouri like. Any deal would basically be centered around what ever it took to land USC. If they can't land USC then there's not much else worth taking, and that's the problem.

I don't see it happening though, the Pac-12 is just so isolated out there that it ties their hands. BYU and Boise State have been trying to step up in the world of college football for instance, and neither could land in a good, stable situation.
sure Nike money is appealing but fan support is bigger. Oregon had a whole week head start to get 2010 national championship tickets at a site that is far closer to Auburn. They didn’t even have 20k fans show up for that game. Oregon has less fan support than Kentucky and Kentucky has more fans on average to show up for games than Oregon.

Oregon’s Nike money is almost always spent on the University of Oregon facilities. There is a reason that they continuously hire lower tier coaches or with in house and not look for a home run coach. Hell they had what most felt was the 4th best softball coach in America and he was only asking for a small raise to stay, and they couldn’t keep him. Now Texas is the rising power instead of Oregon.

If you really wanted Nike money then Stanford not Oregon is the choice. Academically and fan support trumps Oregon.

But we are determining the 4 best programs for expansion out of the PAC12. Well...

obvious

1) USC
2) UCLA

now for #3 and #4 you have to think fan support and MARKETS. The most lucrative market in the PAC 12 outside of California is without question Seattle. The next are Denver and Phoenix.

3) is clearly Washington. Washington has the biggest fan support in the conference and they are in Seattle.

4) ? You could throw Oregon a bone but the question is “Why?” . You would do better with ASU, Arizona, or Colorado.

Oregon is a lightly followed middle of road program that is pumped up by the head of Nike. They are more or less Boise with a billionaire alum supporting them. The only time they have huge ratings is when they are losing, playing a big OOC opponent, or someone needs them to lose. Alabama fans over the past 10 years have watched more of Oregon than Oregon fans

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Unless the Big 12 gives all members equal revenues, it will eventually fall apart... :unsure:

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
The problem I have with the fate of the Pac12 is that its failure is largely due in part to USC's inability to compete at the highest level. Nothing would change for USC if they were to leave. They would still lose just as many games. USC is its own worst enemy. Oregon has succeeded because of USC's failures. They are reaping the benefits of the State of California not being competitive as a whole. Leaving would be asinine.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
The Big 12 would argue that they are doing just fine. They may not win the football title, but they always have a rep in the final four, their basketball conference is very top heavy with lots of quality, and I am sure they do alright in the other sports.

The Pac12 is not a major player in the money sports these days. I don't know how you deal with that or if you even do, but any attempt to include them as a top sports conference is a stretch.
NFL, Not For Long. Every time the Big 12 makes it to the playoffs, they get drilled! I think the playoff committee has to notice. I really expect B1G champs , SEC champs , Clemson and the best B1G/ SEC remaining team . Probably SEC.

SC’s game with Bama is huge for the PAC12

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
The problems the PAC12 faces mirrors those of the states that comprise the conference . Until they get the social issues resolved , they will continue to go down hill . Sports are no longer a priority out west !

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
We don't need more independents, we don't need more Notre Dame's, who get special rules just for them to get into the playoffs. Sorry your conference sucks right now, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. Want to leave the PAC, fine, just join some other conference.
We definitely don’t need any more Notre Dame type teams that always get overrated.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sports are no longer a priority out west !
Not entirely accurate. Football and basketball yes, but until the recent rise in interest conference wide of baseball and softball in the SEC the PAC 12 totally dominated softball and was one of the best baseball conferences. The Pac 12 dominates soccer, swimming, track (until very recently), and cross country right now. So it really depends on which sports you are talking about

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.