Our medical mission to Honduras has been canceled

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Grrr ...

Next week my wife, daughter and I were scheduled to go to Honduras for a medical mission. Lan has done this a few times, but this would be the first time we would be able to do this as a family. And this organization not only allows 16 year olds to go, Lily would be allowed to be in the operating room. Unfortunately, we got the word the other day that the trip has been canceled. It could be an issue with Covid or with crime/safety issues. Don't know for sure the reason. This really stinks; we've been looking forward to doing this as a family for years. Lan is looking to do another trip by herself around Christmas, but Lily and I will have to wait and hope for the best next summer. :( Maybe we'll try Honduras again or the Dominican Republic.

Since these trips are self-financed, we are taking the money we would have used for this trip and giving it to another charity we support that helps the rural poor in Vietnam.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Thank you, Bazza. I see my Mom every weekend and sometimes during the week. Although, a visit during the week is almost always after work, and dementia patients tend to be quite agitated and irrational later in the day. Even during morning visits, it's not particularly pleasant. Like with all things, I just try to do the best I can for her.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Thank you, Bazza. I see my Mom every weekend and sometimes during the week. Although, a visit during the week is almost always after work, and dementia patients tend to be quite agitated and irrational later in the day. Even during morning visits, it's not particularly pleasant. Like with all things, I just try to do the best I can for her.
Please give her a hug from me.

Very tough situation for all.

I dropped off some provisions for my Mom this morning, who at 99, is still living on her own. Fortunately we both live in the same town, so I am doing all I can to keep her independent.

Sometimes when I come inside (I don't ring the doorbell, just unlock the front door and walk in) she doesn't even realize I'm there. So I just start doing stuff that needs to be done. Eventually she notices me and then we interact as needed. Her hearing isn't that great so it takes longer if I have to have a lot of conversation with her, if that makes any sense. But I make sure before leaving she understands everything I did while there and she gets lots of good hugs from her son.

But trust me, I'm more grateful than anyone will ever know that I still have my Mom and am able to do things for her and receive her hugs....and hug her back!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.