Past Bama signees star ratings

Crimson Wonder

1st Team
Sep 4, 2002
Atlanta
These are some of the scores from past recruits.

Demeco Ryans, Not Ranked 1 star
Juan Simpson, Not ranked 1 star
Ramzee Robinson, Not ranked 1 star
Kenneth Darby, Rank 45, 3 stars
Kyle Tatum, Rank 17, 4 stars :cool2:
Tyrone Prothro, Rank 104, 2 stars? lol
Matt Caddell, Rank 24, 4 stars
Tim Castille, Not ranked 1 star
D.J. Hall, Rank 86, 2 stars

My point is that one of two things is true:

A.) Too much stock is put into "rankings" because they arent any type of exact science.

or

B.) We're about to have one MASSIVELY talented recruiting class.

*cough*

and one of our lineman is going to have a breakout year and block the bejesus out of everybody as a SR.

UA90

1st Team
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Scouts ranking system sucks. Those 1 star guys, they probably never even saw highschool film of them. To prove the point Castille was a 4 star prospect according to rivals.

Also Kyle Tatum was a DL prospect at the time.

Last edited:

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
Crimson Wonder said:

My point is that one of two things is true:

A.) Too much stock is put into "rankings" because they arent any type of exact science.

or

B.) We're about to have one MASSIVELY talented recruiting class.

*cough*

and one of our lineman is going to have a breakout year and block the bejesus out of everybody as a SR.
It always makes me laugh when I see folks so worked up about what 4 or 5 star recruit we may or may not get. Hopefully your post will remind them that the rankings are not the 'all knowing' indication of how good players are or a true measure of what your recruitment was like. You can't measure heart or desire. Those two things are what it takes to play for the Tide.

CRIMTIDE

Scout Team
Jan 29, 2004
Knoxville
Rankings

The good thing about the rankings is when you recruit 25-30 of the 3-4-5 star players (UT, UF, LSU, UGA, etc...) you can afford to miss the boat on a couple.

However, if you miss out on a lot of them, as UT has obviously done, your in a bad way!!

We can explain our 4-9 season on massive destruction by the NCAA, Fat Fill has to explain 5-6 ar 4-7 with a boat load of blue-chippers on the field.

Either way, they are what they are!!

Well I don't know how important stars are, but I'd rather get them and find out later. Those guys in orange and blue have been whipping our tails in recruiting for a few years now (yes, because of sanctions), and it has surely shown.

I just pray Shula is on the phone daily doing anything legal to get these recruits in crimson. Doesn't matter who is the runner-up we must seal the deal.

IHateUT

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Knoxville, TN
Jack Bourbon said:
Castille was highly ranked. Prothro was ranked low because no one thought he'd qualify.
Castille was ranked VERY high. I remember ESPN as having Castille ranked the #2 FB in the country that year...or #1...either way...Le'Ron McClain was the other I think.

NOSty

Suspended
Nov 23, 2002
Houston, Texas
One thing's for sure...

a full load of scholarships make the 4 star recruit attraction a lot easier...

That's all I know and that's all I need to know!

Baldbass

1st Team
Nov 19, 1999
Lynn Haven, FL
Crimson Wonder said:

Based on this sample, the fewer stars the better. Golf anyone ???

7Tech

Scout Team
Aug 2, 2005
as a famous coach with

the nic name of Bear once said...give me a handful of those average kids with heart and a will to win over them highly touted premadonnas and I will win evertime with them. The one thing you can not measure with a scale a tape measure and a stop watch is will and desire. If the kids we are recruiting have a desire to win a championship and a desire to be part of something they will will themselves to do so.

CRIMTIDE

Scout Team
Jan 29, 2004
Knoxville
Different time and game

7Tech said:
the nic name of Bear once said...give me a handful of those average kids with heart and a will to win over them highly touted premadonnas and I will win evertime with them. The one thing you can not measure with a scale a tape measure and a stop watch is will and desire. If the kids we are recruiting have a desire to win a championship and a desire to be part of something they will will themselves to do so.

I think the Bear meant give me 2 busloads instead of a handful. He used to sign well over a hundred just so they wouldn't go play somewhere else. LOL!!

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
What I find to be incredibly funny are those that say that "ratings mean nothing, give me guys with heart over stars any day" yet look at how many are blaming our performance over the last half of the season on a lack of talent. You can't have it both ways folks. There are always going to be diamonds in the rough and there are always going to be busts but anyone that would rather start out with lower "ranked" talent and sort it out from there is plum crazy.

RollTideWCS

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 26, 2001
Brookhaven,MS.
Scout.com is a good site if your looking for ranking but to fully understand how well a player does his job someone has to actually attend a game and watch him play.You mentioned Prothro and laughed.His ranking wasn't very high but this could be that he was well defended in high school.I never saw him play until he came to Bama.One of our local HS boy's had a lot of potential and everyone knew it,even the opposing team's.Coverage on him was tight every game but he still found a way to make some big receptions.He's in JUCO now and hopefully he'll go futher.But they still keep on his heel's,double coverage with him is the norm.The point is,stat's are good to have but do not do justice for a players true ability.We see this happen all the time and watch a lot of great players quit because the stat's ruin their career's.There's an DE who went on to college and the coach told him he did'nt have what it took for D1 football.He was a RSF and didn't get a chance.He returned to JUCO and,as I'm told,quit FB all together this year..I've witnessed him play several time's and know how good he WAS.Deflecting passes,rushing the QB,sacking the QB and several tackles every game.But he quit.Maybe it was the D1 coach who broke him down.Or maybe he just didn't have it.Rating's?? Small piece of the puzzle.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
What I find to be incredibly funny are those that say that "ratings mean nothing, give me guys with heart over stars any day" yet look at how many are blaming our performance over the last half of the season on a lack of talent. You can't have it both ways folks.
You really think some folks arguing about the OL need for change on the football board would subscribe to this? :wink: Great observation... problem with Bear's quotes is that he coached in a totally different time than 05 and without his abilities to do many of his things (i.e. recruiting 100 so they wouldn't go elsewhere), he would have had to change a lot of his philosophies to compete (he would do so if it meant winning). Fact: many quotes from coaches in the 70's don't hold true today!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.