Paul Bryant died 40 years ago today (1/26/1983)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Coach Paul Bryant died 40 years ago today...the legend has only grown. Why don't we share our favorite Coach Bryant quote? Here's mine...

"It's not the will to win that matters—everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

So true -- and later quoted by Bobby Knight and many other coaches.
i remember it all too well. I was 22 years old working at University Hospital in Birmingham. I had a friend that worked at DCH in Tuscaloosa. I probably heard within 10 minutes of his passing. We were all stunned.

Many of the “old timers” at University Hospital would share stories about Coach Bryant’s trips to the hospital to visit. Particularly poignant was the visits with Pat Trammell during his battle with cancer. Have no doubt that Coach Bryant loved Pat Trammell as “if he were his own”. And Trammell’s death affected Coach Bryant deeply.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Coach Paul Bryant died 40 years ago today...the legend has only grown. Why don't we share our favorite Coach Bryant quote? Here's mine...

"It's not the will to win that matters—everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

So true -- and later quoted by Bobby Knight and many other coaches.
Perhaps the saddest quote of his was the one he said about retirement. Paraphrased it was something like "When I retire I'll die within a year." Instead, he only lived a month.

Coach Bryant was only 69, but he looked 80+ near the end of his life. Smoking and drinking had their impacts. Compare how he looked to CNS, who looks like a spring chicken in his early 70's.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Perhaps the saddest quote of his was the one he said about retirement. Paraphrased it was something like "When I retire I'll die within a year." Instead, he only lived a month.

Coach Bryant was only 69, but he looked 80+ near the end of his life. Smoking and drinking had their impacts. Compare how he looked to CNS, who looks like a spring chicken in his early 70's.
The actual quote was, "Quit coaching? I'd croak in a week."

But yeah, you're right - and so was he.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I mentioned earlier in the thread about Bryant's visit to University Hospital to see Pat Trammell (Trammell had competed medical school and was in residency when diagnosed with cancer). This story about those final days and Bryant's visit.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Just months before I was born, so I never got to see him while he was alive. Only replays. But I've read many books, biographies, etc. Others have passed him on the all-time wins list but no one has been so legendary. Like all things, that may fade over time but for now I still feel like it is true.

My favorite quote, and I love them all, but it is the one that plays on the speakers in Bryant-Denny before each game. "I hope the people remember me as a winner, because I ain't never been nothing but a winner."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.