Game Thread: Peach Bowl: #1 Georgia vs. #4 Ohio State (CFBP Semi-Final) 12/31 (ESPN @ 7:00 CT)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
For me, the most noticeable thing is UGA's defense isn't as good as I thought and am interested to see how the offense does once the 25 year old Bennett is gone. I know it is already a given that the "new" dynasty and standard is UGA after they win the NC. But I'm after watching their defense get shredded for most of the game, it may be a premature crowning...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For me, the most noticeable thing is UGA's defense isn't as good as I thought and am interested to see how the offense does once the 25 year old Bennett is gone. I know it is already a given that the "new" dynasty and standard is UGA after they win the NC. But I'm after watching their defense get shredded for most of the game, it may be a premature crowning...
monken won them the game last night. It’s like I have been trying to say for years… offensive coordinators matter more in championship runs than defensive ones. Swap Georgia and Alabama’s schedules and the SEC is probably left out of the national championship because Georgia has two losses and BoB melts vs Ohio St.

Reactions: Countrytider2

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
monken won them the game last night. It’s like I have been trying to say for years… offensive coordinators matter more in championship runs than defensive ones. Swap Georgia and Alabama’s schedules and the SEC is probably left out of the national championship because Georgia has two losses and BoB melts vs Ohio St.
Case in point, in 2020 it didn’t matter that Golding is the worst DC Saban has had. Having the best OC ever in Sark is what won the title.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
[QUOTE
actually Day botching clock management won the game for tOSU. Officiating aside, if you quit running out of bounds and stopping the clock in throw aways, UGA doesn’t have the time.

Tidelines

All-American
Oct 19, 2022
I think Georgia’s defensive pressure late in 4th quarter won the game. They brought the house at just the right moments. Allowed them to come back late. OSU moved the ball some but UG limited their scoring. Buckeyes last drive seemed disorganized and it carried over to the FG attempt.

Reactions: dathbama and Con

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think Georgia’s defensive pressure late in 4th quarter won the game. They brought the house at just the right moments. Allowed them to come back late. OSU moved the ball some but UG limited their scoring. Buckeyes last drive seemed disorganized and it carried over to the FG attempt.
It helped greatly that OSU’s best WR was out of the game. Reminded me so much of Bryce late in the NC game last season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
[QUOTE

actually Day botching clock management won the game for tOSU. Officiating aside, if you quit running out of bounds and stopping the clock in throw aways, UGA doesn’t have the time.
yeah but monken calling a brilliant game is why Georgia is scoring with Ohio St. monken saved Kirby more than the officials, Stetson, or Day himself. If he panicked or got predictable then Ohio St would have ran Georgia out of the stadium like we did in 2021 SECCG.

Clock management and split decision making in big games is a tougher thing to do when you aren’t in the stands in big games… I mean Saban isn’t immune to it ,just look at how bad that failed two point play early in the fourth vs LSU and not running out the time vs Tennessee look when you forget that he has 7 NCs.

Reactions: dathbama

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Case in point, in 2020 it didn’t matter that Golding is the worst DC Saban has had. Having the best OC ever in Sark is what won the title.
Yeah you have to be able to survive an avalanche game. Yes everyone wants that 95 Nebraska season where no one is close on the score board but it’s almost impossible with how much college football has sold it’self to the offensive side of the football.

Georgia is very much like Alabama except that they are coached better fundamentally on defense and have better lines. But their secondary is going to give up a lot of points against a good quarterback. Their defensive numbers are inflated by playing the SECE. Yeah we can look at Auburn and Tennessee to say “well they are better than us” but really it’s not a good comparison once you consider that we constantly are playing more difficult offenses, and better teams.

I think Georgia is very good, but they benefit a lot from their lack of competition. The real reason that they are going for two in a row is because they upgraded at OC while we downgraded. You need someone that coach shootouts because everyone is going to have to survive one at some point to win a national championship.

I just hope we get rid of both coordinators soon because we have a very good schedule coming up in 2023.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
as im asking others and what im confused about… I do not see where a shoulder to shoulder hit of a defenseless player is considered illegal

now if people think that should be illegal that’s fine, but I don’t see anywhere that shoulder to shoulder is a penalty no matter how hard the hit

Here’s the video:

Two feet launched, hands down at his sides, and his helmet is down and strikes the receiver’s helmet. None of this is making a play for the ball. This is totally aimed at the head of a defenseless player, who just so happens to be the receiver taking Georgia’s lunch money all game. All that and no penalty is the worst part.

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
I know injuries are difficult, but a part of college football

georgia was missing their leading receiver due to injury as well

Georgia runs a 2 tight end set 90% of the time and Darnell Washington went down and out for the game

3 year starter right tackle was out for the game

first or second round draft pick nolan smith tore a peck muscle this season and was unable to play against Ohio state

I hate that Harrison went down, but injuries are a part of college football and both teams had key players get injured
I’m aware injuries are very much a part of the game. We have lost several key pieces through the years that honestly may have made the difference in a few more championships. It just so happens in this case the 3 of the four players mentioned had torched your defense up to the very moment they were injured and both offenses looked pedestrian following those injuries.

Lucky Jack

Suspended
Sep 23, 2022

Here’s the video:

Two feet launched, hands down at his sides, and his helmet is down and strikes the receiver’s helmet. None of this is making a play for the ball. This is totally aimed at the head of a defenseless player, who just so happens to be the receiver taking Georgia’s lunch money all game. All that and no penalty is the worst part.
Targeting or not, a blind man can see that was unnecessary roughness.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.