Penn State AD lays out timeline needed for 2020 football season

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
So I had considered how it might be possible to get something going. Since campus is closed, they could technically put the team up in a dorm and force them into a regimen of staying away from each other and making sure they are healthy and virus free. The players would not be allowed to leave without supervision to ensure no contact with those outside the program to maintain health integrity of the team as a whole. At some point you can allow them to practice together, knowing they aren’t going to spread something to the team. It’s a quasi-militaristic ordeal but it could be done.

Reactions: We_are_Bama

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Our first game is September 5. If you count back 60 days it is July 7. That is only 87 days from today.

Even if they can start then, it is cutting it close for game prep. Right now players have no access to a gym or any sort of training. Unless they have weights at home, running is about all they can do.

I don’t see basically putting the team in jail for two weeks as a viable option. I would say it would say it is 50/50 we have a full season.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Our first game is September 5. If you count back 60 days it is July 7. That is only 87 days from today.

Even if they can start then, it is cutting it close for game prep. Right now players have no access to a gym or any sort of training. Unless they have weights at home, running is about all they can do.

I don’t see basically putting the team in jail for two weeks as a viable option. I would say it would say it is 50/50 we have a full season.
It is also possible to have something like an 8 or 10 game season.

Reactions: Con

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I wish they would start on time. They could have on the job training, so to speak. I had rather watch sloppy "spring games" for a couple of weeks than miss half the season.

Con

All-American
Dec 19, 2006
South Alabama
So I had considered how it might be possible to get something going. Since campus is closed, they could technically put the team up in a dorm and force them into a regimen of staying away from each other and making sure they are healthy and virus free. The players would not be allowed to leave without supervision to ensure no contact with those outside the program to maintain health integrity of the team as a whole. At some point you can allow them to practice together, knowing they aren’t going to spread something to the team. It’s a quasi-militaristic ordeal but it could be done.
I don't think that would be allowed.
I think the kids can't even go back to clean their stuff out of their own dorms yet, so I am with @DogPatch on this one.

We_are_Bama

All-American
Dec 11, 2008
If the season has to be shortened, that would be ok. Not ideal, but ok. So long as they do not pull the LSU, Tennessee, or Auburn games. LSU...goes without saying. We OWE them one...big time. Tennessee...well.... just because beating them never gets old. 14esseee 😄 And...Lord please don't let the Iron Bowl be one of the games that gets pulled. That would draw a huge vacuum. In addition to the Lee county war birds having bragging rights for another 365 days from November, that would mean we'd have to play back to back IBs at Bowden/Dye field. No. We can't have that. We owe them a beat down in T Town.

We_are_Bama

All-American
Dec 11, 2008
Based on what experts are projecting right now, I don't see a football season happening this year.
To that end, could next college basketball season be cancelled as well? It starts in what, early November? If college football doesn't happen, then that doesn't bode well for next basketball season either. The 2021 college baseball season could happen, but on a delayed start, and probably with no fans for awhile.

DogPatch

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
To that end, could next college basketball season be cancelled as well? It starts in what, early November? If college football doesn't happen, then that doesn't bode well for next basketball season either. The 2021 college baseball season could happen, but on a delayed start, and probably with no fans for awhile.
Possibly, but for football season to happen, the teams must start practicing together at least a month (I believe) prior to the season starting. If basketball uses the same one month prep, you're talking a 2 - 3 month difference in start times, which could be doable. It's anybody's guess at this point.

WalkaboutSean

Scout Team
Nov 23, 2010
Right now, the thought of 100,000 people in a stadium sandwiched together elbow-to-elbow seems highly unlikely. Plus, there's a decent chance that Covid is seasonal and the next wave of infection will spread as the weather cools.

I'm sure that eventually everything will get back to normal, but what constitutes "normal" is now being redefined.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I just don't see how we get a full season at this point. Also unless something drastically changes, I would think any game would be in an empty stadium.

Latest threads

TideFansStore.com