Pete Golding is better than Brent Vulnerables. Accept it.

AlabamaBEN11

Scout Team
May 8, 2020
Was not sure where to put this. There are rumors on LSU forums about Pete Golding interviewing there for DC?
If that’s true my first thought it Saban helping Golding get employment elsewhere like he typically does for people with a plan to promote Charlie Strong.

That being the said kind of seems like a waste right? Why develop Pete to be the next up and comer then set him free as he starts improving unless Pete wants to go...

Reactions: tidefan89 and Con

Dralor

Jan 13, 2021
None, really. Teague is very capable.
As an Ohio State alum and fan I'll have to disagree here.

Teague is a good back but has some limitations. He is a one cut and go guy with good speed and decent power. However he cannot punish over play with the cut back and has zero wiggle. He's not making anyone miss or breaking many tackles at the 2nd level.

It was noticeable last year when Dobbins went down in the Clemson game and same for this game. When Sermon got into a roll he was making something like 4.3 yards after contact and he was punishing the overplay with the cutback. He wasn't Dobbins level there but he was a significant improvement from Teague in that respect. The freshman was actually a possible loss cause he showed glimpses of being able to do that against Clemson. So with an athletic D that over plays Teague does one of 3 things. Tries to beat it to the edge which he has decent speed but isn't the type of quick needed for that more of long speed. Slams into the line\gets what is blocked or comes to a complete stop trying to cut back and gets swarmed. With Fields showing no willingness to pull it for short gains that would get hit that significantly impacted the offense. Especially since Sermon is much better in the screen game at least one of those that were incomplete to Teague would have been caught by Sermon.

I'd say it probably cost us about 14 points or so. Not that it would have made all that much difference other then maybe keeping it interesting deeper into the game. There was no way we were stopping Bama offensively. I'm not sure it even changed the final margin as Bama would have kept their foot on the gas deeper into the game. 38-45 -59 ish depending on if you think the garbage time drive we failed to score points on at the end would have still happened. So yes it made a difference but not a game changing difference.

Bama's O was just that dominant. The dline might have made more of a difference as we might have been able to stop the run without playing a 4-4 but I wouldn't trust our 5th DB to stop you guys. Probably better than 4th lb against the pass but there were a lot of open people out there.

Reactions: 92tide

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
If that’s true my first thought it Saban helping Golding get employment elsewhere like he typically does for people with a plan to promote Charlie Strong.

That being the said kind of seems like a waste right? Why develop Pete to be the next up and comer then set him free as he starts improving unless Pete wants to go...
I'd be surprised at Golding going to LSU or anywhere else.........probably in line for a raise. I was skeptical of the defense as the year went on, but with no spring I guess it was to be expected.............next year will tell us alot

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As an Ohio State alum and fan I'll have to disagree here.

Teague is a good back but has some limitations. He is a one cut and go guy with good speed and decent power. However he cannot punish over play with the cut back and has zero wiggle. He's not making anyone miss or breaking many tackles at the 2nd level.

It was noticeable last year when Dobbins went down in the Clemson game and same for this game. When Sermon got into a roll he was making something like 4.3 yards after contact and he was punishing the overplay with the cutback. He wasn't Dobbins level there but he was a significant improvement from Teague in that respect. The freshman was actually a possible loss cause he showed glimpses of being able to do that against Clemson. So with an athletic D that over plays Teague does one of 3 things. Tries to beat it to the edge which he has decent speed but isn't the type of quick needed for that more of long speed. Slams into the line\gets what is blocked or comes to a complete stop trying to cut back and gets swarmed. With Fields showing no willingness to pull it for short gains that would get hit that significantly impacted the offense. Especially since Sermon is much better in the screen game at least one of those that were incomplete to Teague would have been caught by Sermon.

I'd say it probably cost us about 14 points or so. Not that it would have made all that much difference other then maybe keeping it interesting deeper into the game. There was no way we were stopping Bama offensively. I'm not sure it even changed the final margin as Bama would have kept their foot on the gas deeper into the game. 38-45 -59 ish depending on if you think the garbage time drive we failed to score points on at the end would have still happened. So yes it made a difference but not a game changing difference.

Bama's O was just that dominant. The dline might have made more of a difference as we might have been able to stop the run without playing a 4-4 but I wouldn't trust our 5th DB to stop you guys. Probably better than 4th lb against the pass but there were a lot of open people out there.
No way that Sermon makes a 14 point difference. Teague scored the first 2 TDs, but when Alabama just kept scoring Day changed his play calling. The plan went from win on the ground with some passes thrown in to throw the ball on almost every play.

Being totally honest, if not for the fumble by Jones, we are down 42-10 at the half. Sermon does not change that.

Dralor

Jan 13, 2021
No way that Sermon makes a 14 point difference. Teague scored the first 2 TDs, but when Alabama just kept scoring Day changed his play calling. The plan went from win on the ground with some passes thrown in to throw the ball on almost every play.

Being totally honest, if not for the fumble by Jones, we are down 42-10 at the half. Sermon does not change that.
Gotta disagree we don't win but the shootout goes longer with Sermon he was on a completely different planet from Teague these last 2 games. This play right here was there a few times against Bama on plays Teague got 2 or 3.

Defense wasn't stopping anyone but I'd have expected the offense to go in the shootout for a bit longer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Gotta disagree we don't win but the shootout goes longer with Sermon he was on a completely different planet from Teague these last 2 games. This play right here was there a few times against Bama on plays Teague got 2 or 3.

Defense wasn't stopping anyone but I'd have expected the offense to go in the shootout for a bit longer.
Fair enough - we just disagree. No problem.

Dralor

Jan 13, 2021
Fair enough - we just disagree. No problem.
Yeah I just feel Teague is very limiting when there isn't a hole to hit play side. When we open large holes he has the long speed to take one cut and defeat angles with long Speed that is probably a little better then Sermons but when holes aren't there don't expect much. While it's not a true like for like replace Najee on Bama with Teague and how any of his runs would have ended up losses. Sermon isn't Najee especially his early season form but the last 2 games he's far close to Najee then he was teague.

Reactions: B1GTide

Down4ttown

Suspended
Dec 16, 2011
Golding will continue to grow and develop under Saban. It is nice to know what we have each year and hopefully if I know saban, Pete will continue to get better.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Sermon/Teague, both are very good running back. They would start on any SEC teams and would've produced similar numbers as a starting RB. Sermon is very quick and physical RB. He remind me little of Ezekiel Elliott and Derrick Henry combined together. Little of Elliott and Little of Henry.

If Sermon played in the championship game after his injury, I think their running game would be little better. Probably would spot 7-21 points, but it wouldn't make difference. Teague was open throughout the game, Fields just didn't always see him.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Saban plucked Golding out of nowhere. Saw potential in him. Golding took over as DC with a bunch of young players without the benefit of Spring practice. They started to gel by mid-season, and looked really good against ND and OSU. Most will be back next year. I'd hate to see Golding leave. He has the defense on track to be really good next year.

Reactions: TiderJack and Con

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
So my question is would he leave because he does not like working for Saban, would get major pay increase at Texas or Saban already had plans to replace him?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.