Pete's on the Broyles list

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I can't remember a case where Saban bad-mouthed any assistant at all, before or after the fact. There'll be a review of performance measures, if there hasn't already, and a change will or won't be made. Broyles Award nomination is neither here nor there, and he hasn't won it yet.
My worry stems not from the lack of bad-mouthing, which you point out Saban never really does, but rather Saban's continued positive verbal feedback about Gol*ing that worries me.

I'm hoping this is more 'let's get him a job before I kick him to the curb' than 'he's really doing well, things just aren't going his way'...

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
My worry stems not from the lack of bad-mouthing, which you point out Saban never really does, but rather Saban's continued positive verbal feedback about Gol*ing that worries me.

I'm hoping this is more 'let's get him a job before I kick him to the curb' than 'he's really doing well, things just aren't going his way'...
I'm hoping the same thing myself.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Not making excuses for Golding but this is Saban's defense and Saban signs
off on the game plans. Because of this article I don't see a new DC next year but their
will be a new OC.It would be beneficial to have a more run oriented offense that compliments
our defense. Now we h Ave too many three and outs putting our defense right back on
the field. We're going to have an inexperienced qb so a varied run game will be essential.
Saban's defense resides in Athens, GA now.

Foleybammer

Scout Team
Dec 3, 2019
I wasn't defending Golding. I just don't believe CNS will blow up both sides of the ball
at the end of the season. Would I like to see two new ccoordinators given the freedom to
run their own systems. We could use a schematic change on both sides of the ball.
And Saban's at practice when we're running these crappy schemes on both sides of the ball.

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
I wasn't defending Golding. I just don't believe CNS will blow up both sides of the ball
at the end of the season. Would I like to see two new ccoordinators given the freedom to
run their own systems. We could use a schematic change on both sides of the ball.
And Saban's at practice when we're running these crappy schemes on both sides of the ball.
I don't think he's going to blow up either side at this point maybe I'm just reading into the stuff he's saying too much. I look at it like this we lost 20 some odd kids to the transfer portal at the end of last season and we're probably going to lose around 20 again so it's going to be another young football team. Milroe at this point with that coordinator is not the answer next season at quarterback. We've had so many close games this year we do not have another developed quarterback unless we get one in the transfer portal which I don't really like anymore not that I ever have. Five close games that could have went either way. Could be a five Lost season already. I know we have like eight home games next season. But Bryce young is the main reason we did not lose all five of those games for the most part. And our receivers are not as bad as some people seem to think they are you can scheme receivers open. Which I have not seen much this season. I'm sure we're going to lose some gas we probably don't want to lose to the transfer portal. And that is worrisome to me. That's my concerns. I feel like if we keep it going the way it's going we're going to fall behind more and more. And if coach does decide to give it up in a year or so we're probably going to have a mass Exodus of transfers no matter who the next head coach is. It will be a total and complete rebuild. And I'm sure I'm overreacting to this. But I really don't want to see the Shula days again

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think he's going to blow up either side at this point maybe I'm just reading into the stuff he's saying too much. I look at it like this we lost 20 some odd kids to the transfer portal at the end of last season and *we're probably going to lose around 20 again so it's going to be another young football team. Milroe at this point with that coordinator is not the answer next season at quarterback. We've had so many close games this year we do not have another developed quarterback unless we get one in the transfer portal which I don't really like anymore not that I ever have. Five close games that could have went either way. Could be a five Lost season already. I know we have like eight home games next season. But Bryce young is the main reason we did not lose all five of those games for the most part. *And our receivers are not as bad as some people seem to think they are you can scheme receivers open. Which I have not seen much this season. I'm sure we're going to lose some gas we probably don't want to lose to the transfer portal. And that is worrisome to me. That's my concerns. *I feel like if we keep it going the way it's going we're going to fall behind more and more. And if coach does decide to give it up in a year or so we're probably going to have a mass Exodus of transfers no matter who the next head coach is. It will be a total and complete rebuild. And I'm sure I'm overreacting to this. *But I really don't want to see the Shula days again
*Tighter framework HAS TO BE put in place regarding the transfer portal because the way it is now is unsustainable, imo. It's the college's version of the NFL's free agency.

*Our receivers aren't that bad and the talent is there to develop the next Jerry Jeudy, D Adams, Metchie, Jameson Williams. The problem as we know has been the inability of our OC to put them in the best position to make plays. "Scheming guys open" is completely lost on BOB.

*I agree, if he keeps both or even one, we will get much of the same outcome (probably worse) next season as we did this season.

*I don't see that happening. Alabama is a very, very desireable job, even having to follow a legend. I highly doubt the only candidates willing to take the job will be on Shula's level.

Reactions: B1GTide

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
*Our receivers aren't that bad and the talent is there to develop the next Jerry Jeudy, D Adams, Metchie, Jameson Williams. The problem as we know has been the inability of our OC to put them in the best position to make plays. "Scheming guys open" is completely lost on BOB.
I don't see anyone on the roster that compares to those guys. Who on the team is similar to Jeudy or JaMo? Even the freshmen have had almost a year to break out and haven't been able to.

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
*Tighter framework HAS TO BE put in place regarding the transfer portal because the way it is now is unsustainable, imo. It's the college's version of the NFL's free agency.

*I agree, if he keeps both or even one, we will get much of the same outcome (probably worse) next season as we did this season.

*I don't see that happening. Alabama is a very, very desireable job, even having to follow a legend. I highly doubt the only candidates willing to take the job will be on Shula's level.
I agree with everything you said. It's definitely a desirable job. I just don't want that stretch we had under Mike Shula in a little before that. I think it'll be okay though

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Or, Saban is saying all the things he needs to in order to give Gol*ing the best opportunities possible after he chooses to go in a 'new direction' after the season is over...

A girl can hope. :)
Interesting use of language. Saban says Golding has done a great job "given the people he has to work with."

1. That's a pretty unveiled shot at the talent level of the defensive players.
2. He offers no such caveats when talking about O'Brien.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Interesting use of language. Saban says Golding has done a great job "given the people he has to work with."

1. That's a pretty unveiled shot at the talent level of the defensive players.
2. He offers no such caveats when talking about O'Brien.
Well, he recruited them and thought they were talented enough to give a scholarship. Also, since Petey Pie started he's had defenses that I KNOW Saban thought were talented yet look at how those defenses finished in rankings compared to Pruitt or previous DC's. Yeah, Saban may be paving his path to retirement quicker than we want if he seriously thinks G*ld*ng is a "great job".

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Well, he recruited them and thought they were talented enough to give a scholarship. Also, since Petey Pie started he's had defenses that I KNOW Saban thought were talented yet look at how those defenses finished in rankings compared to Pruitt or previous DC's. Yeah, Saban may be paving his path to retirement quicker than we want if he seriously thinks G*ld*ng is a "great job".

Or maybe we're seeing the results of several years in which we just missed on too many prospects. With the exception of a few positions, we lack explosiveness on both sides of the ball.

Whatever the reason, Saban clearly thinks Golding is not to blame. He chooses his words much more carefully when discussing O'Brien, and O'Brien, despite his other shortcomings, almost certainly can read.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide and UAH

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
Or maybe we're seeing the results of several years in which we just missed on too many prospects. With the exception of a few positions, we lack explosiveness on both sides of the ball.

Whatever the reason, Saban clearly thinks Golding is not to blame. He chooses his words much more carefully when discussing O'Brien, and O'Brien, despite his other shortcomings, almost certainly can read.
Definitely missed on some recruits. But this is a pretty talented roster. dB's not turning around looking for the ball. One man and two man fronts on the D line is unacceptable. Never in my life have ever ever seen a third and five. With a one man or two man defensive front. And think about the players we lost in the portal last year which was 20 some odd players then add but if you then you have a bunch of youth. I like Moody at linebacker but he's not a starter at Alabama. Definitely have a talent Gap in linebacker in my opinion. At DB I feel like we're very talented but not being taught the right techniques.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

Then get a coach who does a better job at getting the most out of what he has, rather than being so heavily dependent on having the best talent on the field.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Maybe Saban's ginned the system nominating Trick or Tweet 1-4-6 Pete himself to advance Gol*swing-and-a-Miss's availability...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
This leaves no doubt that Saban believes it’s the position coaches or the players. Or both.

I’ve been one to not lay everything at Pete’s feet, but he is the leader and is therefore ultimately responsible for the performance of the defense. Guys still don’t communicate and they still make the same mistakes. Continuity in the coordinator’s position hasn’t changed that at all. What is it that he does so well that Saban sees the need to keep him around?

Sometimes I catch myself trying to see if there’s a resemblance between Saban and Pete.

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide and TD7

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
This leaves no doubt that Saban believes it’s the position coaches or the players. Or both.

I’ve been one to not lay everything at Pete’s feet, but he is the leader and is therefore ultimately responsible for the performance of the defense. Guys still don’t communicate and they still make the same mistakes. Continuity in the coordinator’s position hasn’t changed that at all. What is it that he does so well that Saban sees the need to keep him around?

Sometimes I catch myself trying to see if there’s a resemblance between Saban and Pete.
He recruits at a high level. The other thing I think it is with coach on Golding is that if he has to let golden go or whatever I think in his eyes he looks like he failed because he's had such high praise for him. So that's his failure.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I don't see anyone on the roster that compares to those guys. Who on the team is similar to Jeudy or JaMo? Even the freshmen have had almost a year to break out and haven't been able to.
I think the question should be "why aren't they similar"? Why are players like Ja'Cory Brooks 6'2 196 lbs (5 Star recruit), Isaiah Bond (4 Star recruit), Kobe Prentice (4 Star recruit), Kendrick Law (4 Star recruit) being deemed as part of a "talent deficient" group when scouts who watched them deemed them anything but "talent deficient"? Two on this list specifically have "Early round NFL Talent" in their scouting profile. Hell, I went back and watched Jermaine Burton's highlights at Georgia and he looks so much more athletic there than he has here, why is that?

In today's game of football, both the NFL and college, it is a lot easier to be a very good WR than ever before because of how the game is played and all the rules that give the wr's and the offense the advantage. Yet our entire WR corps are constantly smothered and seemingly can't get any separation. But other offenses with either equal or lesser talent at wr can.

Here's why I think last year our passing offense didn't struggle as much as this year. Just like the more times hitters get to see a pitcher they make adjustments, there's more film on ole BOB. Just like after this season I can almost bet you Heupel's offense at UT will get a not-so-pleasant surprise next season by SEC defenses. Heupel will have to adjust. Just like BOB has been forced to adjust but hasn't. I'd bet dollars to donuts if Jameson Williams would have come back he wouldn't have had the same year as he did last year because BOB's proven inability to adjust to the adjustments the defenses have made.

Last edited:

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Pete is clearly CNS's pet project. I think CNS looks on Pete as a guy he can develop to become a great DC and maybe HC. And to be fair, Pete has developed over the past 5 years. I would grade him at a D- five years ago and now I think he really deserves a D+. But I think CNS is going to double down on Pete, as he has convinced himself Pete has what it takes.
Pete is supposedly a great recruiter. And I think sometimes CNS cares more about bagging the #1 recruiting class than he cares about winning a championship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.