News Article: Phillip Fulmer could be Tennessee football coach in waiting

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Just heard a statement that made me laugh. This was made on Finebaums TV show by a disgruntled Vol fan. "This Tennessee team is as soft as Phil Fulmer's belly".

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
FB floating the idea that Phat wanted Tee Martin to be head coach all along and hired him personally to replace Jeremy...kind of a silent coach in waiting. Conspiracies galore swirl that cat.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
UT, you can bring Fulmer back as coach all you want; but Roy Kramer ain't walking through that door as commissioner any more. And the 90s are long gone. Sit back down and put the paper bag back over your head.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
In my mind, this was the Phat Phil plan all along. First, he hired Jeremy Pruitt who had no head coaching experience, and threw him into a dumpster fire. Who knows how much behind the scenes meddling the pumpkin is doing. I think he planned on Pruitt not working out so he could ride in and save the day.
Totally agree. Fulmer couldn't stand it if Pruitt was successful.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I never thought the hire made sense. I thought Jeremy should have gone to state where he would have time to adjust and expectations weren't unrealistic. UT is a dumpster fire and having Phil is just adding to it. He is the guy who always has an agenda that serves his interests and not the long term health or success of the program he is charged in running. UT is getting what they deserve. Until the PTB in Knoxville figure out he is a cancer, they are going to be mired in mediocrity.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I never thought the hire made sense. I thought Jeremy should have gone to state where he would have time to adjust and expectations weren't unrealistic. UT is a dumpster fire and having Phil is just adding to it. He is the guy who always has an agenda that serves his interests and not the long term health or success of the program he is charged in running. UT is getting what they deserve. Until the PTB in Knoxville figure out he is a cancer, they are going to be mired in mediocrity.
I am wondering if it was one of those jobs where you go into it not expecting to get the job but you are just practicing your interview skills. He was far down their list so he may have never expected to get the job to start with.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I totally expect that he's meddling in the program. Over on reddit, in the r/cfb forum, I said as much. Only the Vol fans there, both of them :D, disagreed that Fulmer is messing things up. They say things like "he's the only one who's cared enough to spend real money to get the program on track" or "he can do as he wishes here because he's a legend'. They are clearly in deep denial.

Other programs have been there and are there now.

But, I wouldn't doubt one second that Phatimus Fulmerous is sitting there watching to see what Alabama/Auburn, and perhaps some east division rivals, do after this season. I feel like he's closing in on taking that job back, waiting to see if Saban is on a down-trend, or nearing retirement. Saban will be 68 this year, and the national title game was ugly. In my mind, he wants 1 more title, then he calls it quits. This year, next year, whatever. I also take into consideration that Bama is going to lose a lot of talent after this season, so 2020 might be the first year I've not expected the Tide to take it all the way for a title in a long time. Seriously. 2008 came out of nowhere, but 2009, 10, 11, 12, so on have all had that expectation.

I only mention this because Fulmer has always had an eye on Alabama. Mainly, pure envy. Also, we play them every year, and he's aware of this. He rose like Tuberville did: Bama was on a bad downturn.

I just wish he would choke on a kruller.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
State’s had more success recently than UT.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.