News Article: Phillip Fulmer could be Tennessee football coach in waiting

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If I was to take an EXTREMELY unbiased opinion and take on Fulmer as a coach then I would say that he is a good coach that got extremely lucky in his championship year, and really was around for 17 years beacause for 10 of those years atleast two of his rivals with better recruiting bases were in the dumps

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
State’s had more success recently than UT.
You are correct, but an 8 win season at State get you a contract extension. In Knoxville, ii gets you fired. I have no doubt Phil wants his old job back and I would not be surprised if he is stabbing Jeremy in the back and undermining him as a coach. It isn't like Phil has not done it before. I think he was out coaching with the teams last year or during the spring. Jeremy should have told him his only involvement with the team might be a photo op every now and then. When you have your former coach on the field coaching, it sends the wrong message to the team. The players wonder who really is in charge. Again, as long as Fulmer is there, UT we be a train wreck.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am obviously in the minority in this thread regarding Fulmer returning to HC at Tennessee. He is 69 years old (and not a fit 68 year old CNS) and for those of you who are near this age there just isn't much energy to coach at a major football program in the toughest conference in college football. If he fires Pruitt he will be the de facto HC through Tee Martin. He is smart enough to know he cannot catch lighting in a bottle again with no Roy Kramer providing him cover. Do you really think he wants to go up against the current Alabama, UGA, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Miss State, and TAMU programs? I expect Pruitt to be gone before the season is over and Martin to step in, at least temporarily.

BamaInCummingGA

1st Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming, Ga
Phat Phil does not have the same mindset as most, Gray. It truly would not surprise me if Cpt Krispy Kreme did step in being so arrogant to think he can be UT's savior. He truly is that full of himself.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Pruitt was a desperation hire but if they fire him mid-season in year 2 of rebuild then they better have a plan. Putting all your eggs in the T Martin basket is a very high risk if you ask me. If I was Fulmer I’d keep Pruitt through the end of the season and see who is available at the end of the year, then make a change if it is necessary. He will have better, more qualified candidates to choose from at that time.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Phat Phil does not have the same mindset as most, Gray. It truly would not surprise me if Cpt Krispy Kreme did step in being so arrogant to think he can be UT's savior. He truly is that full of himself.
You may be right. Maybe his ego will override his brain telling him there is no way you can keep up and resurrect the program in the current SEC environment.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I thought Phat Phil has always been a coach in waiting:

Waiting for the “hot and now” doughnuts at Krispy Kreme, waiting for fresh yeast rolls at the Golden Corral, waiting tables at a Knoxville Waffle House....

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I dont know what is worse for Jeremy... Fulmer behind him or Propst making comments about his team. Granted constructive criticism, but when Propst is saying obvious things and giving them more to get mad at

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://volswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/11/rush-propst-breaks-down-vols-offense/2/[/FONT]

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I dont know what is worse for Jeremy... Fulmer behind him or Propst making comments about his team. Granted constructive criticism, but when Propst is saying obvious things and giving them more to get mad at

https://volswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/11/rush-propst-breaks-down-vols-offense/2/
Yep. With a "friend" like Rush, you probably don't need many enemies. He could have just made a general comment along the line of "I think Jeremy is a good coach. He probably get things figured out...."

But then again, Rush is all about Rush so.....

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.