Link: Pickett fake slide leads to touchdown, should this be addressed with a rule?

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
And that should not be legal, if safety is the goal (not to mention fair play and sportsmanship).
Two calls from last night standout to me: A third down play where I think Bolden made the line to gain and we ended up punting in the 2nd half. Sanders suffered what looked to be a concussion on a clear helmet to helmet hit. Good ole’ Gary can say what he wants, but if those 2 plays would have occurred and we were the benefactor, he would have raised hell.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Two calls from last night standout to me: A third down play where I think Bolden made the line to gain and we ended up punting in the 2nd half. Sanders suffered what looked to be a concussion on a clear helmet to helmet hit. Good ole’ Gary can say what he wants, but if those 2 plays would have occurred and we were the benefactor, he would have raised hell.
Slade clearly made the 1st down. I was shocked they didn’t review it, and the commentators didn’t even mention it. The hit on Sanders was targeting.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This is the type of thing that makes me debate internally if I'm a good person or not...lol

This is some BUSH LEAGUE stuff....like EXTREMELY unsportsmanlike.

It's not creative or saavy or heads up.

Defenders are now engrained with the fact they HAVE to pull up and basically stop competing when the QB begins that Slide motion.

It's a 🐔 :poop: play from a 🐔:poop: QB who is intentionally taking advantage of a rule that is supposed to protect him because of his specific position.

All this does is make me want to see a Michigan State Defender get ejected for DE-CLEATING this punk in the Peach Bowl the next time he leaves the pocket.

I don't care if he goes for a slide or not or if the Defender Targets him or not.

I want to see Pickett on the ground with his helmet side ways and stuffed with dirt and grass.

I will be a huge Sparty fan on Dec 30th

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Few will like this but the answer is to remove the ludicrous 'slide' rule. QB tucks and runs and he's fair game like any other player. Don't wanna take the hit? Get OOB or don't run it.

That removes subjectivity from the rule and disallows that sort of garbage play.
I’m with you 100% on this issue. But I’m also ok with the play. Smart to use the rules to your advantage whether I like it or not.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Few will like this but the answer is to remove the ludicrous 'slide' rule. QB tucks and runs and he's fair game like any other player. Don't wanna take the hit? Get OOB or don't run it.

That removes subjectivity from the rule and disallows that sort of garbage play.
I'll second this suggestion.

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
Should be the same penalty as calling for a fair catch and then trying to run the ball. I think that's unsportsmanlike conduct. I don't recall this ever happening. I am sure we would have seen a highlight of it if it did happen before. They have to update to rules to make that a penalty before next year. I do agree this is a bush league move by the QB. I think it's analogous to a MMA fighter going for the friendly fist bump to start a round and then faking that to knock the other guy out.

Reactions: The Ols

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I think there has to be something done, this was an intentional egregious misuse of this theme of keeping quarterbacks safe. I agree with the idea that it was a brilliant play by Pickett, but you can’t discount the defenders having to pull up to avoid a penalty. I remember Kordell Stewart do the same heading for the sidelines and then cut up field.

Thoughts?
I remember Manning running full speed down the sideline twice and then stepping out just before he was hit. He got two first downs that way with the penalty. Something should definitely be down about these things.

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Yeah the play is supposed to be dead where the QB initiates the slide. He initiated the slide clearly and the defenders slowed up, as they’ve been taught to do over the last decade plus.
Bending that rule ought to be a violation. A 10 yard penalty might stop the people from faking a slide.
Maybe it's just me but the guys faking a injury then coming back in one play later ought to be flagged with a 10 yard penalty.
(Guy I worked with would have said: 'That ll break em from sucking eggs')

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
As long as the QB slide rule is still in place, this has to be addressed. The defense is trying to avoid taking a cheap shot on the QB for a 15-yard penalty. The QB is taking advantage of the rule and putting the defenders in an impossible situation; they either take a 15-yard penalty or watch him run for a TD unopposed. It's a cheap and dirty play and something has to be done.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
This is very similar to the bad call in the Miss. State vs Memphis game. Returner called for a fair catch but the refs let him run for a TD and counted it.....after the defenders had let up because he called for a fair catch. MSU lost that game by that TD.

Refs should have blown that Pitt play dead and marked it where he was.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015

This is without question my view but it will never happen. They aren't going to make any rule changes that appear to make the game "less safe."

Reactions: AlexanderFan

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I haven't read the responses, but in one word, YES!

I'm not the biggest fan of how the targeting is being enforced, so I obviously think a QB should NEVER be allowed to do this and get away with it!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.