Plain Trouble on "Da Plains" (all AU posts here)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
....Saban doesn't award starting QB jobs because of the surname. My money's on Mac in 2020.
Gus does :biggrin:
And there, in a microcosm, is why Gus’s teams will never be consistent.

I hope they keep him forever.

In fairness to Gus, though, if he had played Gatewood, I don’t think QB play would be materially better or worse than it has been under Nix. And barn fans would be clamoring for the most adored player on any team that doesn’t have an All-American signal caller — the backup QB, especially if there’s a sentimental connection, as there is for Nix.

Someone earlier posted that the worst thing to happen for the barn this year was for Nix to complete that last-second pass against Oregon. I think that's right.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Wow! I had to go back 22 pages to find this thread. Just thought it needed to be bumped up to the front page... :cool:

S,o looking at the boogs schedule next year, they play jawja in mid October and play the whooos the week before they play us.

Other than flipping the Home Field location, not sure how they benefited from that switch. The whooos play a more physical brand of ball than jawja, so I see that working to our benefit! :D

• Angry
Reactions: DogPatch

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL
Of course, an argument could be made that he's the singular coach on the staff that's contributed the most toward the Barn's success over the past couple seasons, so...
I agree with you. Had you told me in January 2012 that he would be making 2.5 million a year in 8 years, I would have laughed uncontrollably. I'll never forget that stellar performance his defense displayed in the 2012 Orange Bowl.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
According to this al.com article (see link below) by Goodman, Auburn will win the West next season. LOL. I just don't see that happening with their losses on the o line and d line. I do see Nix improving some, especially with Chad Morris there. Glad the game is in T'town next season.

gus-malzahn-has-the-pieces-in-place-to-win-big-at-auburn.html
I love it. whenever they pegged the barn to win anything of significant, they usually disappoint!
Gus couldn't win it all with the most senior laden OL and best DL he had under his tenure, but they will in 2020. :rolleyes:

Reactions: russtang

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
According to this al.com article (see link below) by Goodman, Auburn will win the West next season. LOL. I just don't see that happening with their losses on the o line and d line. I do see Nix improving some, especially with Chad Morris there. Glad the game is in T'town next season.

gus-malzahn-has-the-pieces-in-place-to-win-big-at-auburn.html
Sure it could happen, but What Auburn had on the OL last year (5 senior starters with experience) is something they have managed to do repeatedly, and in those years they have made significant runs, but even with that last year they had a forgettable season, except for catching Bama at the right time. Nix is probably a good QB but not necessarily the right QB for that system. If his dad didn't go there he would not have chosen Auburn and I think his dad should have pushed him to go somewhere with a modern pro style offense. But whatever, War Eagle and all that jazz. With starting from scratch on the OL their is going to be a price to be paid, we've been there, done that, got the T-Shirt and like coach Saban said, you can't coach experience. Nix may not survive the season.

Defensively they had one of the best units in college football But Alabama with a backup QB making his first significant start torched them for over 300 and Harris gutted them for over 150 and hung 45 points. Clearly they can be had and lots of coaches are reviewing that Bama game film as we speak.

So yea, it can happen, but they may need more than just the usual "Auburn Luck"

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Sure it could happen, but What Auburn had on the OL last year (5 senior starters with experience) is something they have managed to do repeatedly, and in those years they have made significant runs, but even with that last year they had a forgettable season, except for catching Bama at the right time. Nix is probably a good QB but not necessarily the right QB for that system. If his dad didn't go there he would not have chosen Auburn and I think his dad should have pushed him to go somewhere with a modern pro style offense. But whatever, War Eagle and all that jazz. With starting from scratch on the OL their is going to be a price to be paid, we've been there, done that, got the T-Shirt and like coach Saban said, you can't coach experience. Nix may not survive the season.

Defensively they had one of the best units in college football But Alabama with a backup QB making his first significant start torched them for over 300 and Harris gutted them for over 150 and hung 45 points. Clearly they can be had and lots of coaches are reviewing that Bama game film as we speak.

Nix will burn more calories in 2020 than he did last season from all the running he will have to do with a completely new OL.

Reactions: The Ols

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I agree. It seems to me that both AU and LSU lose a lot. They both recruit well, but it will be tough to duplicate the success they had this year. With Auburn, there wasn't a lot of success other than beating Oregon and Bama. I wouldn't think either team can avoid at least two losses next year, and I would probably bet on at least three.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Auburn loses 6 or 7 games without the best defense they have had in 10+ years. The offensive side of the ball is and has been a problem for most of Malzahn's tenure at AU. He has had more luck against us, and it has been simply that luck. That and officials who conveniently forget the rules when we play down there. Kevin Steele is the best coach at Auburn period. He deserves every cent.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Auburn loses 6 or 7 games without the best defense they have had in 10+ years. The offensive side of the ball is and has been a problem for most of Malzahn's tenure at AU. He has had more luck against us, and it has been simply that luck. That and officials who conveniently forget the rules when we play down there. Kevin Steele is the best coach at Auburn period. He deserves every cent.
The barners have the officials in their back pocket and have had for years (dating back to at least 2010)... :rolleyes:

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Goodman HAS to be an auburn alum.. That's the only possible explanation for why he would make such a laughable (at best) prediction. For starters, the bus is going to get sent to the car crusher come November. If Gus or his minions think that the officials will grant them a fraction of what they were granted in the IB last season, then they are dreaming. That is going to be a payback game of the highest order. Had this last season's IB not been at JHS, I guarantee that that review at the end of the 1st half does NOT go Gus' way. Secondly, who in the world are these idiots fooling? Ok..so 2019...auburn was billed to be "an absolute beast". They hardly lost anybody from 2018 and the defense was to be one of, if not the best in the nation. Well, as it turned out they were good, but they had their moments where they looked just..ok. And not just in the IB. Burrow had his way with them and really and truly, that loss against LSU was NOT a 3 point loss. It easily could have been 30-13. The barn's score at the end was cosmetic. So...the barner narrative now is "well perhaps we were just off by a year. Perhaps 2020 is our year". Ok...so....they hardly lost anybody from 2018 to 2019, but next season is an entirely different story. So..the less experienced defense will be the one who leads them to the playoffs? And the less experienced O line will be better than last season's O line?? Granted, that's the usual barner logic, but....woah...what are they smoking??

Gus has yet to win in Baton Rouge, Athens, or Tuscaloosa. So...why would any of that change next season? With a less experienced team? But, I suppose this is about par for the course. The pundits get all riled up after a year where the barn has finagled a win against us. They pick the barn as a preseason top 5 team and playoff contender for the following year. They pick them to beat us again, but this time, on the road. And...the barn flops. The season goes off the rails, the fan base turns on Gus, but then it smacks them in the face that he's extremely well insulated and untouchable, thanks to the buyout and him being Greene's boy. And...always...they find out fast that BDS ain't JHS by any means. Rinse and repeat.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.