Political aspects of the pandemic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Sociopathic traits linked to not wearing a mask or social distancing during pandemic: study
Wearing a mask is one of the easiest things that people can do to prevent the spread of Covid-19 — and yet it's a topic that's been highly politicized in the United States throughout the pandemic.
Yet Americans have turned to violence and protests to show their disapproval of mask mandates. So have others around the world.

A recent study out of Brazil may shed some light on why some people are so resistant to wearing masks.
Researchers from the State University of Londrina found that people who reported "antisocial traits," such as low levels of empathy and high levels of callousness and risk-taking, were less-likely to comply with Covid-19 prevention measures, such as wearing a mask and social distancing.

In this case, "antisocial" refers to traits that are typically present in people diagnosed with antisocial personality disorder, which is defined as "a chronic and pervasive disposition to disregard and violate the rights of others," according to the American Psychological Association. It is characterized by common behaviors such as repeatedly violating the law and exploiting others, and traits such as deceitfulness, impulsivity, aggressiveness, reckless disregard for the safety of self and others and irresponsibility, according to the APA. People with the mental health condition often lack of guilt, remorse, and empathy.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Term limits and the elimination of lobbies.
I used to be for term limits, but after watching Trump and Carter come in with no experience, it seems some experience may be necessary in Washington. You are possibly eliminating people we may need.

Politicians as a group have a horrible reputation. My personal experience has been very limited, but when I needed help, I got it. Senator Bob Corker stepped up for my wife and I when we needed paperwork for our adoption. He went way above and beyond the call to help us beat a deadline, and he did not know us from Adam. Senator Fred Thompson was from the county I lived in for twenty seven years; I never heard anything but good things from local people. My parents were personal friends with Senator Howard Baker, and they loved him.

The mayor of Humboldt, TN is a patient of mine. He is a prince of a man. I do not care for the mayor of Milan.

Historically Congressmen have been despised. It's an easy group to pick on.

I can see no downside to elimination of lobbies.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I used to be for term limits, but after watching Trump and Carter come in with no experience, it seems some experience may be necessary in Washington. You are possibly eliminating people we may need.

Politicians as a group have a horrible reputation. My personal experience has been very limited, but when I needed help, I got it. Senator Bob Corker stepped up for my wife and I when we needed paperwork for our adoption. He went way above and beyond the call to help us beat a deadline, and he did not know us from Adam. Senator Fred Thompson was from the county I lived in for twenty seven years; I never heard anything but good things from local people. My parents were personal friends with Senator Howard Baker, and they loved him.

The mayor of Humboldt, TN is a patient of mine. He is a prince of a man. I do not care for the mayor of Milan.

Historically Congressmen have been despised. It's an easy group to pick on.

I can see no downside to elimination of lobbies.
The problem with Trump has nothing to do with his lack of experience

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
The problem with Trump has nothing to do with his lack of experience
If you have a president that is not very experienced then he will have to be surrounded by experienced bureaucrats to make informed decisions. Either way you been someone that has worked for the government for a long time to make it function. Whether it be elected official or someone that is hose by elected officials to advise.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you have a president that is not very experienced then he will have to be surrounded by experienced bureaucrats to make informed decisions. Either way you been someone that has worked for the government for a long time to make it function. Whether it be elected official or someone that is hose by elected officials to advise.
I am not opposed to career bureaucrats. I am opposed to individuals becoming an institution within our elected government. When you are in that game too long, the number of people who own a piece of you and your loyalties grows exponentially.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I am not opposed to career beurocrats. I am opposed to individuals becoming an institution within our elected government. When you are in that game too long, the number of people who own a piece of you and your loyalties grows exponentially.
It tracks the exponential rise in the costs of campaigning...

Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am not opposed to career bureaucrats. I am opposed to individuals becoming an institution within our elected government. When you are in that game too long, the number of people who own a piece of you and your loyalties grows exponentially.
Our system is broken. I would say Strom Thurman was the best example of why we need term limits. The guy got re-elected at 100 years old. I don't like when we have these career politicians that could not function in any other job because they have never actually had a job. And exactly how do they all become super rich? They have 3-5 homes, tons of money doing a government job that does not pay millions. All they do is run for office and nothing else. They are only working to get re-elected. If you think "well the dems care" then you are fooling yourself. We absolutely need term limits. I say give the senate and house a max of 12 years. If you cannot get your job done in 12 years, you don't deserve your job anyway. They will still have elections as they do now but after you have done 12 years, you are done.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I didn't know where to place this, since it cuts across political, economic and scientific lines. It treats the possible geopolitical problems if China gets a vaccine first. On the scientific side, I like the Chinese approach of testing traditional killed virus vaccines alongside the novel, spike-specific vaccines we've put all our future in. Today, he said again how much larger "Warp Speed" was than the Manhattan Project, so I looked it up and corrected for inflation. Manhattan was half again larger the Warp Speed, in today's dollars...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
This could go in politics or science. Either way, why is the government buying tests if they don't want people tested.

• Thank You
Reactions: seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This could go in politics or science. Either way, why is the government buying tests if they don't want people tested.

I want to know who "the US Government" is. In the past, in some cases, it's been Jared Kushner...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

So they can talk out of both sides of their mouths?

Reactions: MobtownK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.