Poll..Do you think there will be football this fall?

Do you think there will be football this fall?

• Total voters

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Hope I’m being Chicken Little, and Jim turns out to be justified in his optimism.

I was once optimistic for maybe limited crowds, or even no crowds at all.

Not so much now. So many teams have so many players testing positive. And I’m under no illusions that that will suddenly stop.

So I no longer see the season happening at all.

• Sad
Reactions: B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Let me give a very unpopular opinion. I've gotten to the point that I really don't care. I don't care if the NFL plays, MLB plays or college football plays. I am fortunate enough to have young kids in youth sports and not having MLB has allowed me to get my baseball "fix" at youth baseball fields where my gate fees and concession stand money helps kids and organizations that need it more. I also watch people playing a game without being under the influence of wealth. It has been a beautiful and refreshing thing.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Let me give a very unpopular opinion. I've gotten to the point that I really don't care. I don't care if the NFL plays, MLB plays or college football plays. I am fortunate enough to have young kids in youth sports and not having MLB has allowed me to get my baseball "fix" at youth baseball fields where my gate fees and concession stand money helps kids and organizations that need it more. I also watch people playing a game without being under the influence of wealth. It has been a beautiful and refreshing thing.
The greed of the MLB has made me just not care. If there isn't any sports, it will not bother me in any way. I will find other ways to occupy my time.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I voted yes, but with a caveat. I said this over on NS. What is going to happen is we will start the season and there will be teams in the hunt which will have star players or coaches test positive and have to quarantine for 2 weeks during the middle of the season and fans will FREAK out. Everything will have an asterisk beside it. Or we may start and just not finish.

there's little question that finances are driving a lot of the decision -making at this point, so I'd assume we'll have football.
Yeah both related to football revenue and tuition revenue. If there are in person classes, we are going to have football. There is no way we don't have in person classes when over 50% of the students pay out of state tuition. If they move to Zoom mtgs, lots of students will un-enroll and take online classes in their home state paying in state prices until the pandemic is over. So yeah, we are going to have football this year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I have no idea - there's little question that finances are driving a lot of the decision -making at this point, so I'd assume we'll have football.

That said, I won't be there.
The biggest hangup for me is what happens when Trevor Lawrence or someone that important to a team tests positive before a big game. If we have a season, its going to be a weird one

Blindside17

Suspended
Aug 13, 2019
Phenix City, AL
I don't think its going to happen. Could they play with empty seats? Certainly but I personally don't think they will for two reasons. Number 1 college football is a sport heavy on tradition. Tailgates, the overall game day experience etc... and 2 I don't think the schools will be willing to play and miss all the revenue fans would bring.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It`s a big fat mess alright. I voted yes but without fans because that`s about as optimistic as I can be. I`m bordering on a " no ", though. A serious question , I think, revolves around player eligibility moving forward. Who stays, who goes? Until we (society ) start getting needles in arms, I just don`t see us truly heading back toward normalcy. Even then, I don`t think it will be the old " normal ".

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
3 or 4 weeks ago I would have said no but, then this country decided to reopen despite what the medical data says. As with everything in this country, money is the driving force. So, yes, there will be football with people in the stands and plenty of people will get sick because of it but, those making the money don't care and will push forward.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's complicated because it's not just about football and entertainment it's about tuition, enrollment, and big business, as others have said.

If universities don't have classes this fall (and only do online classes) the drop out rate and financial losses will be critical to schools' bottom line.

I think football will mirror the economy...it's open and it's now about operating and practicing mitigation as well as possible.

Star players will test positive and have to sit out two weeks. It'll be a part of the season that, for the luckiest teams, might allow a darkhorse to sneak into the playoff and a typical contender to miss it.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
It's complicated because it's not just about football and entertainment it's about tuition, enrollment, and big business, as others have said.

If universities don't have classes this fall (and only do online classes) the drop out rate and financial losses will be critical to schools' bottom line.

I think football will mirror the economy...it's open and it's now about operating and practicing mitigation as well as possible.

Star players will test positive and have to sit out two weeks. It'll be a part of the season that, for the luckiest teams, might allow a darkhorse to sneak into the playoff and a typical contender to miss it.
If this comes to be, it`ll be like a massive wave of injuries.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

My son found out this weekend that a couple of his classes at the University will be online and a couple will be the hybrid variety. I don't think he has to go to a class full time in a classroom for the entire fall semester and it is only the end of June. I'm sure it could change. This was my reason for voting Yes, but with empty stands.

If the players can be contained and stay away from some others the season could happen, but with 18-22 yr. olds that will be a tough ask. If the pros are having second thoughts of living in a bubble and they make millions, what do we think about college kids?

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Another aspect of this is the TV contracts. If games are played without fans, I think the TV viewership will be off the charts. And, that money alone (for the networks and the schools) will be a factor to play.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Another aspect of this is the TV contracts. If games are played without fans, I think the TV viewership will be off the charts. And, that money alone (for the networks and the schools) will be a factor to play.
TV is the real money. The thing about having no fans or no season is the city economies of the universities will get crushed. IIRC the 7 or 8 home games in Tuscaloosa produces over 70% of revenues for many businesses.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
TV is the real money. The thing about having no fans or no season is the city economies of the universities will get crushed. IIRC the 7 or 8 home games in Tuscaloosa produces over 70% of revenues for many businesses.
No doubt it will be a huge hit on the local economy. But the SEC shares tens of millions each year thru the TV contract so at least there's that.

I still think they'll allow fans...just 25-50% at the max. Basically every other seat. It won't be 6 feet, but it'll be better than sitting on top of each other. And, it wouldn't surprise me that tailgating crowds would still flock to T-town just to be on campus and tailgate with friends.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.