Pope Voices Support for Same Sex Civil Union

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm shocked.

Pope Francis expressed support for same-sex civil unions in remarks made in a documentary that premiered on Wednesday, a significant break from his predecessors that staked out new ground for the church in its recognition of gay people.

The remarks, coming from the leader of the Roman Catholic Church, had the potential to shift debates about the legal status of same-sex couples in nations around the globe and unsettle bishops worried that the unions threaten traditional marriage.

“What we have to create is a civil union law. That way they are legally covered,” Francis said, reiterating his view that gay people are children of God. “I stood up for that.”

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Pope Francis is the most progressive Pope in history. I am not a fan of the Catholic Church, and see the Pope as just another person in a position of power. But this Pope is actually a pretty good human being.

Reactions: Go Bama and 92tide

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
no he isn't he is just great at PR
I don't see this as having anything at all to do with PR.

Whether or not homosexuality is a sin is an issue that every church is having to face. The Pope makes the final decisions for the Catholic Church. He has given his decision, and he is going to face a lot of backlash from his clergy and from Catholics worldwide. He definitely did not take the high road which is what makes this so surprising.

I'm very impressed that the Pope had the gumption to do what he must know in his heart is right.

Reactions: B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm very impressed that the Pope had the gumption to do what he must know in his heart is right.
As John mentioned above, I don't think it's about what's right in his heart, I think it about PR. Unless / until he aggressively roots out the pedophilia / abuse that's so wide spread, this doesn't move the needle.

Reactions: 92tide and Jon

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
As John mentioned above, I don't think it's about what's right in his heart, I think it about PR. Unless / until he aggressively roots out the pedophilia / abuse that's so wide spread, this doesn't move the needle.
How does recognizing LGBT's as children of God improve public opinion in relation to pedophilia/abuse? You just said this is a PR issue and it doesn't move the needle. Isn't a PR move supposed to move the needle? I'm not making the connection.

I agree, it is absolutely imperative for the Church to address the pedophilia/abuse issue. I see homosexuality and pedophilia as two issues that have to be addressed separately.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide and 92tide

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
How does recognizing LGBT's as children of God improve public opinion in relation to pedophilia/abuse? You just said this is a PR issue and it doesn't move the needle. Isn't a PR move supposed to move the needle? I'm not making the connection.

I agree, it is absolutely imperative for the Church to address the pedophilia/abuse issue. I see homosexuality and pedophilia as two issues that have to be addressed separately.
they are two separate issue, no question there. My point is that he gives these small "least you can do" platitudes to try to show he is a decent human being and to make the church look good but he does nothing real to stop the actual rot in the church itself. He is still covering for pedos and until that stops this is nothing but PR BS

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i am glad to see the issue get some positive press from such a bully pulpit that has for so long been against it, but yeah, i'm with you and jon and many others.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
they are two separate issue, no question there. My point is that he gives these small "least you can do" platitudes to try to show he is a decent human being and to make the church look good but he does nothing real to stop the actual rot in the church itself. He is still covering for pedos and until that stops this is nothing but PR BS
I'll just have to be in the minority here. It seems you guys fail to recognize the gravity of this decision.

Recognizing a civil union of gay people is not a "least you can do platitude." This is a reversal of a position the Church has had for hundreds of years. I know some Catholics have to be aghast. While it may be a popular position with some in the US, in other countries, including Pope Francis' home, Argentina, this will be largely unpopular except to gays themselves.

This is the same Pope who recognized evolution is real and God is no wizard. " “When we read about creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Francis said. “He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment.”

The recognition of gays as God's children is church doctrine. The pedophilia issue is a corruption issue.

• Thank You
Reactions: 92tide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'll just have to be in the minority here. It seems you guys fail to recognize the gravity of this decision.

Recognizing a civil union of gay people is not a "least you can do platitude." This is a reversal of a position the Church has had for hundreds of years. I know some Catholics have to be aghast. While it may be a popular position with some in the US, in other countries, including Pope Francis' home, Argentina, this will be largely unpopular except to gays themselves.

This is the same Pope who recognized evolution is real and God is no wizard. " “When we read about creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so,” Francis said. “He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment.”

The recognition of gays as God's children is church doctrine. The pedophilia issue is a corruption issue.
I understand their frustration with his response to the child abuse. I won't defend the Catholic Church or the Pope there. But this Pope was not in power when all of that came to light.

He made a number of mistakes in this area, but seemed to turn the corner in December:

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I've had a soft spot for this Pope after Trump attacked him (for whatever he went after him about.)

Could the Pope be feeling a little uncomfortable seeing a Catholic extremist/zealot being railroaded to sit on the Supreme Court? (Now that a good Catholic will be in position to end this same sex nonsense?)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.