Possible o-line reshuffle?

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Chris Owens coming back was a mutual decision; we knew he could help at center and he wanted to get chosen higher in the draft. With injuries at RT, he was asked to play there, hoping that success would raise his value. Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out too well. He may should have taken his chances last year. I appreciate him being such a great team player and trying to help any way he can.
Coming back may still help him, but in the "he can play center and will do anything for the team" sense, rather than a "hey, he can play right tackle" sense. With so many players refusing to move around,it speaks to his teamwork and work ethic.

Reactions: dtgreg

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
We have a serious problem that's been partially covered up by Bryce Young. But it's not only on the players I don't think.

Some stats from PFF that highlight the issues(ignore the fact they call us the sooners)
Young has covered some, but he's also caused some. One of my middle school aged kids was calling out when and where the blitz was coming from against TAMU with a pretty high degree of accuracy, but it didn't seem like Young was aware and making adjustments to the protections or to the routes (hot route) either. He did much of the same in the first half Saturday, but it seemed like in the second half he finally starting making those reads when facing the blitz so here's hoping that helps going forward.

Reactions: rolltd

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Young has covered some, but he's also caused some. One of my middle school aged kids was calling out when and where the blitz was coming from against TAMU with a pretty high degree of accuracy, but it didn't seem like Young was aware and making adjustments to the protections or to the routes (hot route) either. He did much of the same in the first half Saturday, but it seemed like in the second half he finally starting making those reads when facing the blitz so here's hoping that helps going forward.
It might be worth mentioning here that every sophomore on the team, including Bryce, has never played in front of a hostile SEC crowd before the Florida game. Could be guys are still making adjustments in that department.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Fair but he's a young guy still. I'd aslo argue he covers up more than he causes, in that same article they said he was 6/10 with 135 yards and 2 TDs when pressured plus 2 scrambles for gains of 10+ yards.

I wonder if having a more experienced center like Owens would help with some of that until Bryce gets more experience.

Reactions: seebell

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
We have a serious problem that's been partially covered up by Bryce Young. But it's not only on the players I don't think.

Some stats from PFF that highlight the issues(ignore the fact they call us the sooners)
At least they're not calling the 'Bama OL "the Look-Out(!) Blockers."

Maybe Golding will be asked by Saban to analyze the situation from a defensive perspective and advise wider splits...

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Bill O’Brien certainly isn’t helping the protection situation with some rather predictable play calling. Anyone know how often, especially in the first half, we ran on first down followed by a second down pass?

Additionally, it seems we run a lot of long developing pass routes when we do throw, something that certainly doesn’t help.
.... which makes even less sense, to me, seeing that BY isn't as accurate as Mac was with the deep ball and/or is off timing deep routes. Work the short to intermediate routes with Latu, Billingsley, Holden to the point we can send Williamson and co. deep to run under it and make a play.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Fair but he's a young guy still. I'd aslo argue he covers up more than he causes, in that same article they said he was 6/10 with 135 yards and 2 TDs when pressured plus 2 scrambles for gains of 10+ yards.

I wonder if having a more experienced center like Owens would help with some of that until Bryce gets more experience.
Agree - which is why I said I have hope he's starting to make the reads and it will help going forward.

Owens at center might help sometimes, but against a lot of the TAMU looks it was an overload so there really wasn't anything the OL could do. There were more rushers to a single side than there were OL or RBs to block. In those situations it's all on the QB to make that read, change the call to either run away from it, or hit a hot read route right behind the rush.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Agree - which is why I said I have hope he's starting to make the reads and it will help going forward.

Owens at center might help sometimes, but against a lot of the TAMU looks it was an overload so there really wasn't anything the OL could do. There were more rushers to a single side than there were OL or RBs to block. In those situations it's all on the QB to make that read, change the call to either run away from it, or hit a hot read route right behind the rush.
Agreed, but every play has to have receivers who run check down routes when the QB is blitzed from their side, and against aTm that just didn't happen. Lots of blame to go around - including in the play calling and blitz recognition of the receivers.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.