Question: Possible SECCG & CFP Scenario Questions

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
What if we loose to the barn (it's happened to better Bama teams before), but then beat UGA? 2-loss SEC champs, having just beaten the team ranked #1 all year, what would they do with that?
The NZAA and Playoff Committee immediately goes into special session and expands the playoffs to 8 teams with option to expand to 12 in 2 years.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm so tired of the 'Everyone is out to GET Alabama' paranoia narrative.

"Bama can't have no Heisman winner....THEY won't let'er happen"

2009 - Mark Ingram wins the Heisman
2015 - Derrick Henry wins the Heisman
2020 - DeVonta Smith wins the Heisman

"Bama ain't gunna git to play fer no National Championship...THEY out to git us"

2011 - BCS puts Alabama in for a Rematch
2017 - CFBPC Puts Alabama in OVER tOSU

I mean can we just stop it in this thread AND the Heisman thread.

'Bama Fatigue' or a Bias against Alabama for the sake of it DOES NOT EXIST.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Mo
I don't think anyone is expecting it, but it's not an impossibility. That's my point.
I would love chaos to reign. Just for the joy of watching everyone scramble to figure it out

hoping Michigan beats tOSU then flops to the Badgers

and hoping for Houston to beat Cinci

then Watch the fun

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Funny, Ohio St 2 weeks ago had a hard time with Big Ten last place Nebraska, today they are the hot team. Here in Atlanta on sports talk, they have jumped the SECCG against Alabama right to the NCG vs Ohio St. I have heard a couple actually say Alabama will be a good tune up for Ohio St, except Ohio St has a much better defense. OSU is #44 in total Defense, Alabama is #8 and Bama has played a lot better offenses this year.

Anyway, I think Bama beats Georgia . Saturday vs Auburn will be huge . need to see the mindset of the team in the homestretch for a championship. If Nick pulls this off, it will be his greatest coaching job ever.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I don't think anyone is expecting it, but it's not an impossibility. That's my point.
We have too many people here whose posts sound like it's a formality and we're still in. Amazing how Oklahoma State is already de facto eliminated in this scenario, which is news to me.

I'm not willing to go to the extreme and say, "It cannot happen" because it can. All I'm saying is that nobody should be holding out hope that, "Well, even if we lose two, we're still in it." I'm a chaos guy myself, although I don't really want to watch us contribute to it.

So just to be clear:
a) we absolutely CAN make it with two losses BUT
b) it's an incredibly long shot, too

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Funny, Ohio St 2 weeks ago had a hard time with Big Ten last place Nebraska, today they are the hot team.
Last-game-itis is a near terminal illness in CFB evaluations. Along with "I'm a moron easily impressed by gaudy stats on offense and have not a damn clue defense and special teams are parts of the game."

The same folks glowing about Ohio State pumping 56 points on Sparty weren't as impressed with Purdue's offense, who got 40, which is a full TD higher than Purdue has made against any other team except UCONN. I'm not saying Ohio State's offense is NOT good ( it is), I'm just sayin viewed in light of the rest of the season it's about what should be expected.

Here in Atlanta on sports talk, they have jumped the SECCG against Alabama right to the NCG vs Ohio St. I have heard a couple actually say Alabama will be a good tune up for Ohio St, except Ohio St has a much better defense. OSU is #44 in total Defense, Alabama is #8 and Bama has played a lot better offenses this year.
Offenses Faced Alabama
#11 Tennessee
#18 Ole Miss
#34 Miami
#39 Florida (32.5 ppg)
#44 Miss St
#49 Arkansas
#58 Texas A/M
#74 LSU
#114 New Mexico St
#126 Southern Miss
(Mercer does not qualify for this)

Offenses Faced Ohio St
#38 Oregon (32.7 ppg)
#41 Michigan St (32.1 ppg)
#64 Nebraska
#79 Minnesota
#80 Penn St
#83 Maryland
#84 Purdue
#91 Tulsa
#113 Rutgers
#116 Akron
#121 Indiana

I don't want to read "too much" into it all (and Ohio State does play #15 offense Michigan this week), but perhaps some interesting reality beneath the data there, too. Maybe. I'd have to crunch the numbers for each team and remove the riff-raff to get the "real" values, since cupcake games give a misleading impression.

Anyway, I think Bama beats Georgia . Saturday vs Auburn will be huge . need to see the mindset of the team in the homestretch for a championship. If Nick pulls this off, it will be his greatest coaching job ever.
I think we beat both and make the playoffs and then - who knows?

This team has not played anywhere close to their best game yet.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Mo
I would love chaos to reign. Just for the joy of watching everyone scramble to figure it out
Same.

hoping Michigan beats tOSU then flops to the Badgers

and hoping for Houston to beat Cinci

then Watch the fun
And us beat UGA.

But what happens then is the typical "defer to the big names so we all make money" concept.

Georgia
Alabama
Notre Dame
Oklahoma or Ohio State as a two-loss team

Reactions: TideEngineer08

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
College football playoffs. Assuming that Ohio state beats Michigan. If Michigan beats Ohio state then sub Michigan for Ohio State

If Alabama beats Georgia in the SEC championship

1) Ohio State
2) Alabama
3) Cincy
4) Georgia

If Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC championship

1) Georgia
2) Ohio State
3) Cincy
4) Notre Dame (maybe Oklahoma state here if they win our, but long shot)

Thoughts?

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
Funny, Ohio St 2 weeks ago had a hard time with Big Ten last place Nebraska, today they are the hot team. Here in Atlanta on sports talk, they have jumped the SECCG against Alabama right to the NCG vs Ohio St. I have heard a couple actually say Alabama will be a good tune up for Ohio St, except Ohio St has a much better defense. OSU is #44 in total Defense, Alabama is #8 and Bama has played a lot better offenses this year.

As usual all anyone was saying was Ohio State had a bad game but we beat Arkansas by a touchdown and we aren't good enough and will drop in the playoff rankings, it'll play itself out

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn
College football playoffs. Assuming that Ohio state beats Michigan. If Michigan beats Ohio state then sub Michigan for Ohio State

1) Ohio State
2) Alabama
3) Cincy
4) Georgia

1) Georgia
2) Ohio State
3) Cincy

Thoughts?
If Bama beats Georgia, you want fall to four I believe it'll be
1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Ohio State
4. Cincinnati

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

1) Ohio State
2) Alabama
3) Cincy
4) Georgia

1) Georgia
2) Ohio State
3) Cincy

Thoughts?
Cincinnati is not jumping Georgia. In the first scenario:

1. Alabama vs. 4. Cincy
2. Ohio State vs. 3. Georgia

Second scenario:

1. Georgia vs. 4. Notre Dame
2. Ohio State vs. 3. Cincinnati

The 2nd scenario is utterly boring. Neither Notre Dame nor Cincinnati belongs. I'm hoping the Bearcats lose in order to put a stop to this foolishness.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
Cincinnati is not jumping Georgia. In the first scenario:

1. Alabama vs. 4. Cincy
2. Ohio State vs. 3. Georgia

Second scenario:

1. Georgia vs. 4. Notre Dame
2. Ohio State vs. 3. Cincinnati

The 2nd scenario is utterly boring. Neither Notre Dame nor Cincinnati belongs. I'm hoping the Bearcats lose in order to put a stop to this foolishness.
I agree, but the committee absolutely loves no conference championship notre dame

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I agree, but the committee absolutely loves no conference championship notre dame
It makes no sense. They have been outclassed every year they've made the field. I realize year to year doesn't count, or shouldn't factor in. They've got to either be required to join a conference, or the playoff needs to not consider them eligible.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
If Nick pulls this off said:
You ain't kidding. Winning it all, in spite of injuries, sometimes confusing playcalling on both sides of the ball, guys moping around because they don't play enough, but when he puts them in, they drop a pass (not naming names), secondary that seems to be in outer space sometimes, so on...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.