Powerful quake kills thousands in Turkey and Syria

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The death toll is over 3800 now. I read this morning, when the death toll was at 2000, that over 11,000 were injured.

This is an absolute nightmare of a disaster.

From the NYT:

GAZIANTEP, Turkey — Rescuers in Turkey and Syria were desperately combing through rubble in search of survivors in near-freezing temperatures after a powerful earthquake and aftershocks collapsed thousands of buildings, killed more than 3,800 people and raised the specter of a new humanitarian disaster in an area of the world already racked by war, a refugee crisis and deep economic troubles.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Really hope we are sending hospital ships, etc to demonstrate how NATO “friends” help out in times of need.

From the White House & President Biden:
My Administration has been working closely with our NATO Ally Turkiye, and I authorized an immediate U.S. response. At my direction, senior American officials reached out immediately to their Turkish counterparts to coordinate any and all needed assistance. Our teams are deploying quickly to begin to support Turkish search and rescue efforts and address the needs of those injured and displaced by the earthquake. U.S.-supported humanitarian partners are also responding to the destruction in Syria.
Full press release

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The person who has been granted the decision to pull the plug on me in the case of the worst is a nurse I know, whose spouse is from...Turkey. Turns out I was the one that notified them there was an earthquake. Stated that given the location, family is likely unaffected, which is good.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Anger is growing in Turkey that poor enforcement of building regulations contributed to the collapse of many buildings in Monday's earthquakes, leading to the soaring death toll.

Construction regulations were tightened following previous disasters in Turkey, most recently in 2018.

Stricter safety standards were also brought in following the 1999 earthquake around the city of Izmit, in the north-west of the country, in which 17,000 people died.

But periodic "construction amnesties", which offer legal exemption to those structures built without the required safety certificates for a stated fee, have contributed to the recent catastrophe, experts suggest.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
At least 16,000 dead and many more injured and/or displaced. The final toll will likely be multiples of the current number.

Another interesting video from geology hub. He often responds to questions from viewers with video content, which may explain the reason for covering this subject.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Also, just making the point - THIS is why the US (and other wealthy nations) have so many construction codes and such. Yes, bad things still happen - code violations are overlooked (either carelessly or nefariously) but nothing like the scale we're seeing in Turkey and Syria. It costs a lot more to build safe structures like we see on the west coast here in the US, but when disaster (eventually) hits, the loss of life is greatly reduced. While an order of magnitude lower in power, the Northridge quake of '94 that hit LA killed 'only' 57 people.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Also, just making the point - THIS is why the US (and other wealthy nations) have so many construction codes and such. Yes, bad things still happen - code violations are overlooked (either carelessly or nefariously) but nothing like the scale we're seeing in Turkey and Syria. It costs a lot more to build safe structures like we see on the west coast here in the US, but when disaster (eventually) hits, the loss of life is greatly reduced. While an order of magnitude lower in power, the Northridge quake of '94 that hit LA killed 'only' 57 people.
Over the past few decades Turkey has granted blanket amnesties/exemptions to their building codes, making the codes essentially pointless. There's no doubt that many are dead as a result.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
We have corruption here, but it is another universe compared to elsewhere. I don't think most people realize just how corrupt most of the rest world is. Every friend and colleague from other countries tells me how government officials will look the other way on anything (building codes, pharmaceutical safety, infrastructure safety, etc.) for a fee. It's disgusting.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
The death toll is now close to 20,000.

Death Toll: Almost 20,000 people have been killed by the earthquakes that struck Turkey and Syria on Monday, and the numbers are expected to keep rising. Turkish authorities have reported at least 16,546 deaths, and the Syrian toll totaled 3,162.

• Sad
Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.