• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
On April 10, we had a thread & poll to predict the NCAA decision for the 2020 season. That was after about 3-4 weeks of lockdown. The vote was almost evenly split across the four scenarios.

Now, almost a month later, we know a little more about the virus, economic impacts, decisions by sports groups and schools since then, etc. I wanted to have a fresh take on the poll given the positive and negative changes that have occurred over the last month. I have added a 5th option (season played in Spring 2021) because that seems to be getting at least a bit of traction from some quarters.

Here are the results from our poll in early April:

1588686530113.png

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
i don't see any way we are going to be having widespread live spectator sport events in the fall
I changed my vote from no football at all to delayed shortened season. I still say there is no way we will have sports in the fall. I could see them maybe doing it in the spring just to get some revenue back. There is way too much money involved to not have anything for over a year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I still voted on time and full season. I think it's encouraging the NFL is trying to get their season planned. I also think Football in Aug/Sept may be the best window to get started.

But I could even see a scenario where the season starts on time but gets stalled or cancelled with a strong second wave in Nov/Dec. but I hope not!

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
There is no doubt in my mind that there will be a second and very possibly a larger wave of the virus this fall. And with combining with the flu season I doubt very seriously a full season will happen. I do think there will be a concerted effort to start the season as scheduled and hope for the best so I voted normal start with full season although it looks like a pipe dream to me.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Georgia and Florida are already working on reopening along with a few other states. I think Alabama will start opening on the 16th of may or June 1st as will several other states. With all of those states starting months ahead of time I think enough states will be fully open to start the football season in September.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Georgia and Florida are already working on reopening along with a few other states. I think Alabama will start opening on the 16th of may or June 1st as will several other states. With all of those states starting months ahead of time I think enough states will be fully open to start the football season in September.
Agreed - Question is, will they be able to stay open.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
My response was strictly about whether the number of cases would spike again, necessitating a second shutdown. No politics at all. 🤷‍♂️
I understand completely and it's frankly a shame that science is now considered politics by some. We can't get away from that current reality so...I made a thread where the discussion is open.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Just heard an interview form an "insider". He says that the Presidents and ADs are talking constantly about this. They are coming up with contingency plans for every possible scenario that could come up. They are adamant that a season will happen. They are not just thinking of the money for the schools but also the money for the surrounding restaurants and businesses. They also don't want to just start the season only to have to stop it because they feel that would be too much of a gut punch and demoralize everyone.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Haven't seen anything to change my mind - hope I'm wrong, but I still think there will be 'no football'.
I'm right there with you, unfortunately. I just can't see 100k people packed into a stadium. One, attendance would suffer greatly and two, the widespread outbreaks that would occur from that many people being that close together would curl the blood.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm right there with you, unfortunately. I just can't see 100k people packed into a stadium. One, attendance would suffer greatly and two, the widespread outbreaks that would occur from that many people being that close together would curl the blood.
Will they play without fans in the stands, in your opinion?

• Thank You
Reactions: The Ols

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Will they play without fans in the stands, in your opinion?
That is a possibility, but I don't see how that jives with the desire to help local businesses around the stadiums. It is still possible, though, at least until one of these very young and talented athletes dies as a result. For those who do not believe that is even possible, it is and young adults do get sick and die from this - pre-existing illness or not.

• Thank You
Reactions: B1GTide

Tubafore

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2018
Huntsville, AL
I don't like to vote "No football at all" all the time...

What I see happening out of Montgomery is that they're letting GA and FL be the guinea pigs in opening before us. Personally, I want to see a month's worth of everyone else open and no huge spike before I'll feel safe going out...and that is while I am currently missing a disney trip. We were gonna have my daughter's birthday at Cinderella's palace!

Man I hope my vote is wrong...but working from home has been really nice. That commute!

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't like to vote "No football at all" all the time...

What I see happening out of Montgomery is that they're letting GA and FL be the guinea pigs in opening before us. Personally, I want to see a month's worth of everyone else open and no huge spike before I'll feel safe going out...and that is while I am currently missing a disney trip. We were gonna have my daughter's birthday at Cinderella's palace!

Man I hope my vote is wrong...but working from home has been really nice. That commute!
We have eaten there many times - the perfect choice. We will get back to WDW eventually.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.